PDA

View Full Version : Govenor Charlie

HPFridays
05-14-2013, 12:45 PM
What's the general opinion on him? I'd hate to see a 15-1 plus horse from Baffert beat me.

Leparoux
05-14-2013, 01:40 PM
I won't be using him on top anywhere but may include underneath. Will honestly just depend on what kind of price he is, not sure what to make of him.

redshift1
05-14-2013, 04:28 PM
He's taken the path of least resistance avoiding the major players and that's the problem why?

Robert Fischer
05-14-2013, 05:01 PM
a little worried that last I read, Baffert still has not committed to running.

His best race gives him a chance to contend.
If he does not run in the Preakness, that could benefit another speed.

PhantomOnTour
05-14-2013, 05:32 PM
I think he is outclassed and overmatched

pondman
05-14-2013, 08:39 PM
If Baffert thought he belonged running in the derby, he would have been there. Don't think he'll do much...

Phantombridgejumpe
05-14-2013, 10:37 PM
He is a REALLY talented horse that is hard to train and might not be 100%.

That being said, he is my pick. I think he is better, on his best day, than anything that was in the Derby.

His betting pattern during the Sunland Derby was super strange. He was morning line (6-1) I think. Okay, bad morning line. He was pounded to 6-5 in a decent size field. Okay, a few big betters loved him? But they didn't just hit him there, he was a huge favorite in the pick 3,4 and D-D pools. Off what, he had won his previous race by a nose.

My theory, when he's on, he looks super in the morning and a lot of people know it. IF he is live on the board with 5-10 minutes to post I go from liking him to loving him.

I could be off my rocker, wouldn't be the first time.

letswastemoney
05-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm going to say he's outclassed too. Those horses at Sunland Park weren't much. He outdueled Footbridge at Santa Anita...does that say anything either?

Newcomers have a poor record in the Preakness, which makes me more skeptical.

Phantombridgejumpe
05-14-2013, 11:09 PM
I don think he knew how to run a race yet.

Garcia rode him well and fits him well.

Sit off the speed (I don't think it will be a killer pace). Get first run, hold off the closers.

JustRalph
05-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Baffert tweeted today that he won't be sure to run until he puts him on the plane tomorrow. Whatever that means?

pondman
05-15-2013, 01:16 AM
Sit off the speed (I don't think it will be a killer pace). Get first run, hold off the closers.
Does he have any experiences doing this? Horses, which run Prep races without much contention inside and out (change positions in the lane) and are slow, generally are taken out of this game by other rider's strategies in Grade 1 races.. They won't let him have anything clear. He won't know how to do anything if he isn't dominant in the lane. Goldencents is in the same boat. He has no sidways mobility. And they don't have the speed to grab the lane. You have to watch out for horses such as Orb and Mylute, which have the experience to run anywhere on the track and move up.

precocity
05-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Governor Charlie -__- SUPER99 SAME HORSE :rolleyes:

GaryG
05-15-2013, 09:10 AM
I want no part of him, he is in too deep.

RedMeansGo
05-15-2013, 12:26 PM
I read on another forum today that Gov Chuck was a patient at Rood and Riddle Equine Clinic sometime after the Sunland Derby. If that is true and, in Baffert's opinion, he wasn't fit to run a couple of weeks ago, he is hard for me to back.

Robert Fischer
05-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Baffert horse Govenor Charlie enters Preakness
Updated 12:07 pm, Wednesday, May 15, 2013

"Govenor Charlie did not run in the Kentucky Derby because a minor foot bruise caused him to miss some training time in April. The horse has since had three solid workouts."

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/sports/article/Baffert-horse-Govenor-Charlie-enters-Preakness-4518579.php

Valuist
05-15-2013, 01:58 PM

That being said, he is my pick. I think he is better, on his best day, than anything that was in the Derby.

His betting pattern during the Sunland Derby was super strange. He was morning line (6-1) I think. Okay, bad morning line. He was pounded to 6-5 in a decent size field. Okay, a few big betters loved him? But they didn't just hit him there, he was a huge favorite in the pick 3,4 and D-D pools. Off what, he had won his previous race by a nose.

My theory, when he's on, he looks super in the morning and a lot of people know it. IF he is live on the board with 5-10 minutes to post I go from liking him to loving him.

Think it was a combination of a very bad morning line, weak opposition, him coming from Santa Anita, smallish pools, and him being a Baffert trainee.

Robert Fischer
05-15-2013, 02:20 PM
here was my opinion on the derby probables from about a month ago 4-15

Grade I
:1: Orb
:2: Verrazano
:3: Goldencents
:11: Govenor Charlie
:14: Normandy Invasion

Grade II
:5: Overanalyze?

Grade III
:8: Vyjack and :10: Itsmyluckyday.
The 'buzzsaw' that was this year's Derby has made my job a lot easier
Grade I

Grade II
:7: Departing?

wreckless
05-15-2013, 02:30 PM
here was my opinion on the derby probables from about a month ago 4-15

The 'buzzsaw' that was this year's Derby has made my job a lot easier
Grade I

Grade II
:7: Departing?

I tend to agree with most of your recent posts.. any thoughts on Itsmyluckyday and Oxbow?

Robert Fischer
05-15-2013, 02:41 PM
I tend to agree with most of your recent posts.. any thoughts on Itsmyluckyday and Oxbow?

they'll have to beat me.
Can't use everyone.

Stillriledup
05-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Isnt Chuck the 'buzz' horse and will be 2nd betting favorite?

Personally, i think he's sensational, but, his current health status and the current state of the Baffert Barn has me a bit concerned.

There's really nothing wrong with Orb as the most likely winner....probably the way to bet the race is key Orb on top and try and get lucky underneath.

Stillriledup
05-15-2013, 02:48 PM

It was a horrendous ML, i had a huge win bet on him in there, i just kept hitting repeat, i didnt realize he was going to pay 4 and change, i was thinking he would drift up in price, but too many got the same wise guy idea and refused to stop betting.

JackS
05-15-2013, 04:26 PM
He deffinatly has the figs and should be playing hardball at this level either on Preakness day or eventually as he faces tougher and tougher foes.
If he has the odds, he could be a great bet for the upset.

JackS
05-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Fantasy Exacta- Govenor Charlie ,Goldencents, and IMLD over Orb, Oxbow and Departing. Speed, reasonabe speed over off the pace.
Of course this is without respect to proven class. It's a gamble.

cj's dad
05-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Worst Preakness field I have ever seen