PDA

View Full Version : Worst Derby finisher to win the Preakness?

PhantomOnTour
05-13-2013, 01:55 PM
What is the worst Derby finishing position for a horse who came back to win the Preakness?
Have a hard time betting a colt who ran in the back half of the Derby field to win the Preakness.

Valuist
05-13-2013, 02:03 PM
I remember Hansel finished pretty far back in the Derby then blew the field away in the Preakness. Same with Tanks Prospect and Snow Chief.

Actually Tanks Prospect won a photo. Think it was over Chief's Crown. I remember Day hit the horse about 25 times left handed in the stretch and barely got up.

RXB
05-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Louis Quatorze finished way up the track in the Ky Derby. I remember this because I bet him in the Preakness; some legit excuses for his Derby finish and he looked so fantastic in the parade and warmup at Pimlico.

Rise Over Run
05-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Louis Quatorze finished way up the track in the Ky Derby. I remember this because I bet him in the Preakness; some legit excuses for his Derby finish and he looked so fantastic in the parade and warmup at Pimlico.
He was awesome in the Preakness, the only one I've attended in 1996. His time was tied for the fastest (with Tanks Prospect, I think) until they revised Secretariats a few years ago.

Louis Quatorze was 16th in the Derby that year.

Valuist
05-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Did Red Bullet run in the Derby?

PhantomOnTour
05-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Did Red Bullet run in the Derby?
No

how bout Lookin At Lucky?
he had a pretty dismal Derby trip and won the Preakness

Valuist
05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
No

how bout Lookin At Lucky?
he had a pretty dismal Derby trip and won the Preakness

True but wasn't he 4th in the Derby? In terms of bad finishes at CD, we've got Hansel, Tanks Prospect, Snow Chief and Louis Quatorze.

Don't know if Aloma's Ruler or Deputed Testamony ran in the Derby. I don't think DT did.

PhantomOnTour
05-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Lucky got 4th in the Derby?
my memory is fading fast :D

Striker
05-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Louis Quatorze in 1996 finished 16th in the derby
Snow Chief in 1986 finished 11th in the derby
Hanmsel in 1991 finished 10th in the derby
Tabasco Cat and Lookin at Lucky both finished 6th in their derby run

Valuist
05-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Lucky got 4th in the Derby?
my memory is fading fast :D

I was wrong. He finished 6th.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/horses/triple/derby/2010-05-02-lookin-at-lucky_N.htm?csp=34&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+usatoday-HorseRacing+(Sports+-+Horse+Racing+-+Top+Stories)

The 2010 Derby and crop were very forgettable.

Striker
05-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Don't know if Aloma's Ruler or Deputed Testamony ran in the Derby. I don't think DT did.
Neither of those ran in the KD.

PhantomOnTour
05-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Louis Quatorze in 1996 finished 16th in the derby
Snow Chief in 1986 finished 11th in the derby
Hanmsel in 1991 finished 10th in the derby
Tabasco Cat and Lookin at Lucky both finished 6th in their derby run
Thx Striker

Red Bullet, Bernardini, and Rachel Alexandra didn't run in the Derby (hope I haven't missed any recent Preakness winners)...so...the last 13 times a Derby runner has won the Preakness he finished 6th or better in that Derby, going back to Louis Quatorze.

Valuist
05-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Gate Dancer did and I know he was off the board. Don't think he was real far back, though. Tanks Prospect as well.

Funny how I can remember almost all the Preakness' from the 80s but can't remember the Preakness' in the mid 90s.

Goldencents will likely be 2nd betting choice. Has a legit shot to reverse this recent trend.

Al Gobbi
05-13-2013, 02:35 PM
What is the worst finish by a Derby winner in the Preakness? Obviously excluding Barbaro who DNF.

Striker
05-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Gate Dancer did and I know he was off the board. Don't think he was real far back, though. Tanks Prospect as well.

Funny how I can remember almost all the Preakness' from the 80s but can't remember the Preakness' in the mid 90s.

Goldencents will likely be 2nd betting choice. Has a legit shot to reverse this recent trend.
I missed Tanks Prospect there Valu, he was 7th in the 85 derby. Gate Dancer was 5th in the derby, so was Point Given in 2001. Gate Dancer actually finished 4th but was DQ'd to 5th, which was the first DQ in the derby. Gate Dancer was about 5 lengths back of Swale.

RXB
05-13-2013, 02:40 PM
What is the worst finish by a Derby winner in the Preakness? Obviously excluding Barbaro who DNF.

Super Saver was 8th. That's the worst clunker that I can remember. Most of the time the Ky Derby winner runs well in the Preakness.

Striker
05-13-2013, 02:50 PM
Some that come to mind are--

Monarchos and Strike the Gold both got 6th in the Preakness
Sea Hero and Lil E Tee both got 5th in the Preakness

Valuist
05-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Super Saver was 8th. That's the worst clunker that I can remember. Most of the time the Ky Derby winner runs well in the Preakness.

Very fitting as he was probably the worst Derby winner I've seen. At least Mine That Bird followed up his Derby with a very good Preakness.