PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Maldado

lamboguy
05-11-2013, 05:11 PM
he just gave LET EM SHINE a great ride in the Came Home Stakes. he opened up about 10 lengths on the field and took a good hold of the horse and let the other guys behind him catch up, they were within 3 lengths of him and shifted into another gear and put them all asleep.

that kid rides them great

mannyberrios
05-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I agree, he is a good jockey

PaceAdvantage
05-12-2013, 07:42 PM
We DEFINITELY need more threads where the thread starter completely butchers the name of the person they are praising/cursing... :ThmbUp:

pandy
05-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Maldonado in my opinion has been the best jockey on the So. Cal circuit for the past year, better than Gomez and right up there with Bejarano. I base my evaluation of jockeys and harness drivers on how many non-contenders a rider wins with. Maldonado consistently wins with horses that are not one of the top four fastest horses in the race, which is very unusual since over 80% of the winners are one of the top four fastest.

Gomez and Bejarano get much better stock. Maldonado has been 1st or 2nd in the standings for several months without riding horses for Baffert, almost impossible to do out there since Baffert wins almost a third of the races at some meets.

Maldonado has that intangible, horses simply run faster for him.

Offthepace
05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Pandy, he brought a long one in yesterday at Hollywood,the last race of the pick-5.A friend of mind had him in the last leg to win the pick-5.It was worth over $5000.00.Like you said he wins with non-contenders and he doesn't ride for Baffert and doesn't get as many good horses coming his way as Bejarno.Very clever jockey,I like to bet him in longer cheap races.I remember Brad Free's comment on him when he first came to Southern California,"good long-shot rider Edwin Maldonado".Right on the money!:ThmbUp:

cj
05-13-2013, 05:18 PM
he just gave LET EM SHINE a great ride in the Came Home Stakes. he opened up about 10 lengths on the field and took a good hold of the horse and let the other guys behind him catch up, they were within 3 lengths of him and shifted into another gear and put them all asleep.

that kid rides them great

Sounds like a 10 pound bug could have won on the horse to be honest.

pandy
05-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Pandy, he brought a long one in yesterday at Hollywood,the last race of the pick-5.A friend of mind had him in the last leg to win the pick-5.It was worth over $5000.00.Like you said he wins with non-contenders and he doesn't ride for Baffert and doesn't get as many good horses coming his way as Bejarno.Very clever jockey,I like to bet him in longer cheap races.I remember Brad Free's comment on him when he first came to Southern California,"good long-shot rider Edwin Maldonado".Right on the money!:ThmbUp:

Every time he brings in a bomb that I don't have I kick myself because I go over all of his horses very carefully. He is a wake up rider and he can improve a horse by several lengths. He is also a great front end rider.

Producer
05-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Maldonado is one of, if not the top, gate riders in the country. He is deadly on a speed horse.

Robert Fischer
05-13-2013, 08:49 PM
candyman

lamboguy
05-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Maldonado is one of, if not the top, gate riders in the country. He is deadly on a speed horse.he amazed me on the horse that i saw. i know he was a good horse, but i loved the ride and i never say that.

NY BRED
05-14-2013, 05:47 AM
as a throwback, he reiminds me of Jorge Velazquez

wish he's consider NY racing, especially for the Belmont meet.

v j stauffer
05-15-2013, 01:36 AM
We DEFINITELY need more threads where the thread starter completely butchers the name of the person they are praising/cursing... :ThmbUp:

We DEFINITELY need more administrators that nitpick and try to embarrass their customers. :ThmbDown:

v j stauffer
05-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Maldonado in my opinion has been the best jockey on the So. Cal circuit for the past year, better than Gomez and right up there with Bejarano. I base my evaluation of jockeys and harness drivers on how many non-contenders a rider wins with. Maldonado consistently wins with horses that are not one of the top four fastest horses in the race, which is very unusual since over 80% of the winners are one of the top four fastest.

Gomez and Bejarano get much better stock. Maldonado has been 1st or 2nd in the standings for several months without riding horses for Baffert, almost impossible to do out there since Baffert wins almost a third of the races at some meets.

Maldonado has that intangible, horses simply run faster for him.

I agree that Maldonado is very good. Great example of perseverance. Struggled mightily for quite a while.

FYI there were 616 races run this recent meeting at Santa Anita. Baffert won 38. That's 6%.

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2013, 02:26 AM
We DEFINITELY need more administrators that nitpick and try to embarrass their customers. :ThmbDown:I bet if it were Zenyatta's name he got wrong, you'd be signing a completely different tune.

If you're gonna praise someone, or deride them for that matter, the least you can do is spell their name right. This isn't a case of a simple typo.

It's like when people spell wrong one of the biggest trainers in the game...D. Wayne Lukas...LUCAS...happens all the time on here...

I wonder if anyone would have a problem if I went on a baseball message board and spelled it Mickey Mantal....get my point?

v j stauffer
05-15-2013, 02:40 AM
I bet if it were Zenyatta's name he got wrong, you'd be signing a completely different tune.

If you're gonna praise someone, or deride them for that matter, the least you can do is spell their name right. This isn't a case of a simple typo.

It's like when people spell wrong one of the biggest trainers in the game...D. Wayne Lukas...LUCAS...happens all the time on here...

I wonder if anyone would have a problem if I went on a baseball message board and spelled it Mickey Mantal....get my point?

I totally get your point. I disagree.

You'd lose the bet. My tune wouldn't be to bust his chops.

Not to worry. I still love being a contributing member of PaseAdvantage. :ThmbUp:

ArthurG
05-15-2013, 04:24 AM
excuse me but how do you sign a tune...are you deaf...:)

lamboguy
05-15-2013, 09:34 AM
i have to thank you for correcting me. i heard his name on TVG and thought i heard it without the "N". before that race i never even heard of the guy because i don't follow California racing to much. it was a stake race and i watched it and got excited after seeing such a great ride. i liked it so much i just wanted to share it on this board with others that might have missed this superb handling of this horse.

SandyW
05-15-2013, 09:52 AM
The Candyman Can!

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2013, 10:09 AM
i have to thank you for correcting me. i heard his name on TVG and thought i heard it without the "N". before that race i never even heard of the guy because i don't follow California racing to much. it was a stake race and i watched it and got excited after seeing such a great ride. i liked it so much i just wanted to share it on this board with others that might have missed this superb handling of this horse.It was nothing personal...sometimes I just have to live up to my asshole reputation... :lol:

lamboguy
05-15-2013, 10:29 AM
It was nothing personal...sometimes I just have to live up to my asshole reputation... :lol:if the rest of this horse racing game had nice people like you in it we would have a great game today.

iceknight
05-15-2013, 02:49 PM
I bet if it were Zenyatta's name he got wrong, you'd be signing a completely different tune.

I wonder if anyone would have a problem if I went on a baseball message board and spelled it Mickey Mantal....get my point? I have to confess that I thought (for several months) Cornelio and Johnny V were brothers until I took a harder look at their last name(s) one day :lol:

Stillriledup
05-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Candyman gives Bejarano a lollipop in the 6th Race today at HP.

Nice Ride Candy. :bang:

picojim
05-17-2013, 10:18 PM
why is his nickname Candyman?

pandy
05-17-2013, 10:21 PM
I guess because a major league pitcher named Maldonado used to be called the Candyman. Pretty stupid to get a nickname simply because you have the same last name as someone else, but it happens all the time.

picojim
05-17-2013, 10:24 PM
I guess because a major league pitcher named Maldonado

just to correct you..he wasnt a pitcher
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/maldoca01.shtml

v j stauffer
05-18-2013, 02:23 AM
It was nothing personal...sometimes I just have to live up to my asshole reputation... :lol:

Mine isn't reputation. It's hard earned reality! :)

pandy
05-18-2013, 06:03 AM
just to correct you..he wasnt a pitcher
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/maldoca01.shtml

He seemed like a likeable guy, fan favorite, as I recall. I wonder what Edwin thinks about the borrowed nickname.

Robert Fischer
05-18-2013, 10:39 AM
it's silly to transfer a nickname like that if you think about it too logically.

But it's fun to say, and it's used with a positive tone.
If anything, it may be a good thing.

Stillriledup
07-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Edwin wins Riding title at Hollywood! (tied with Bejarano at 51 wins, Maldo has 1 mount remaining to see if he can win the title by himself)

Longshot6977
07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
No good for :11: . Looks lime Maldonado got 3rd.

pandy
07-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Bejarano clearly had better mounts all meet. This was a huge meet for Edwin. He moves horses up better than anyone on that circuit.

ElKabong
07-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Maldanado has come a long way apparently. 10 yrs or so ago he was here in TX, didn't stand out that much. Good but nothing great

Mineshaft
07-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Maldanado has come a long way apparently. 10 yrs or so ago he was here in TX, didn't stand out that much. Good but nothing great

started out at Sam Houston I think then rode the EVD/Delta circuit. He was lazy plain and simple. He could ride but was lazy therefore didn't get the good mounts

MickJ26
07-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Actually, the Candyman was John Candelaria.

pandy
07-15-2013, 06:23 AM
started out at Sam Houston I think then rode the EVD/Delta circuit. He was lazy plain and simple. He could ride but was lazy therefore didn't get the good mounts

To turn things around, Edwin and his agent Vic Lipton have said that they used "theoretical quantum physics" to help them become more focused.

v j stauffer
07-15-2013, 12:53 PM
To turn things around, Edwin and his agent Vic Lipton have said that they used "theoretical quantum physics" to help them become more focused.

Vic actually knows that stuff. Very interesting guy. Very happy for him and Edwin.

When I was an agent I used " theoretical quantum friendships ". Translated. Begging, groveling and kissin a lot of butt. :jump:

magwell
07-15-2013, 01:11 PM
He rides like the "west coast version" of Ramon Dominguez.....IMO very good rider ......

pandy
07-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Edwin had 3 wins yesterday, all three ranked 7th on bris prime power. Bejarano had 2 wins, both ranked 1.

Stillriledup
10-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Candyman "picks off" the favorite to ride a firster for Avila in Race 4 today (Oct 20_ at SA.

Interesting "choice off" here for Candy.

jk3521
10-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Actually, the Candyman was John Candelaria.
You're right! Candelaria was nicknamed "The Candy Man" Maldonado's first name was Candido, hence the name Candy.

Stillriledup
11-16-2013, 04:37 PM
This guy has turned into a major clown. Rode a horrendous race in the 3rd today at Hollywood, he sent like a quarter horse and put himself in a position to be pressured by the 1, who was vicious on video and was exploding with run last time, this guy has fallen off the map, embarrassing ride.

Mineshaft
11-16-2013, 08:51 PM
This guy has turned into a major clown. Rode a horrendous race in the 3rd today at Hollywood, he sent like a quarter horse and put himself in a position to be pressured by the 1, who was vicious on video and was exploding with run last time, this guy has fallen off the map, embarrassing ride.

yea hes terrible he has no clue

Show Me the Wire
11-16-2013, 08:56 PM

I know you are that naive. The easiest way to manipulate a race is by pace.

Stillriledup
11-16-2013, 09:24 PM
I know you are that naive. The easiest way to manipulate a race is by pace.

So you're saying he rode that way on purpose to manipulate something? To maybe beat the 1 who "couldnt lose" otherwise? Im just suggesting he rode a bad race, you think he was dumb like a fox?

Exotic1
11-29-2013, 04:25 PM
I take back everything bad I thought about you, Edwin.

Hol Race #2 today, trainer puts blinkers on the fastest horse and horse jumps up leaving the gate. Edwin get's him into position without too much effort and wins. Wait, not totally forgiven. Rewind to Del Mar grass race, straightening into the stretch you were going to win by 5 and you crossed over on a horse for no reason. You got yourself and me DQ'd. Almost all forgiven.

Stillriledup
11-29-2013, 08:03 PM
I take back everything bad I thought about you, Edwin.

Hol Race #2 today, trainer puts blinkers on the fastest horse and horse jumps up leaving the gate. Edwin get's him into position without too much effort and wins. Wait, not totally forgiven. Rewind to Del Mar grass race, straightening into the stretch you were going to win by 5 and you crossed over on a horse for no reason. You got yourself and me DQ'd. Almost all forgiven.

Its amazing how far this guy has fallen.

Mineshaft
11-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Its amazing how far this guy has fallen.

Yea hes fallen so far he only won a Grade 3 yesterday for Jeff Bonde. Let me see the last 3 days hes ridden for Doug O'Neill, Jerry Hollendorfer, Jeff Bonde, and Mark Glatt. And the next 2 days he has horses for Doug O'Neill, Peter Miller, Art Sherman, Martin Jones, and Adam Kitchingham. Wow has he ever fallen let me tell you.

Mineshaft
11-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Oh and he went to Zia Park and won a stakes race Wednesday for Bonde. It was only a 300K stakes race.

magwell
11-29-2013, 09:48 PM
His only problem, being like 5"9" he has to reduce to make weight all the time .......

pandy
11-30-2013, 07:25 AM
Edwin was on a good roll for a long time, he got into a bit of a slump but that happens to all of them unless they ride for a Baffert/Pletcher type of barn. Some of these young guys don't take vacation and I don't think that's a good idea. Everyone needs a freshening now and then.

Mineshaft
12-01-2013, 10:31 AM
He got into a slump like almost every rider does but hes still riding for all the top trainers in Cali.

His mounts have made over 8 mill in 2013. Poor Edwin he sure has fallen.

senortout
12-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Correct me on this...all the Candyman references and all.....did not Edwin have a name change?....someone must recall as it happened in the not too distant past..???
Oh, I remember part of it at least...It was Alicea.

(only the names are changed to protect the innocent)