PDA

View Full Version : wow wow didnt know this

iceknight
05-10-2013, 01:33 PM
They didnt do this in Boston though...but still...
http://youtu.be/tta1qhQZWSE

tta1qhQZWSE

Greyfox
05-10-2013, 01:45 PM
If those aren't actors, that is terrifying.

I'd never heard of this before.
Why no publicity?

Who issued the order to confiscate the guns? Some person somewhere had to.

newtothegame
05-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Grey, being from New Orleans and being here for Katrina, I can tell you it is no actors. There were thousands of guns TAKEN and in some cases are still being fought for their return. NOPD has told many , they cant find the weapons for their return.
In most cases, at least those I am aware, (outside of New Orleans), the guns were returned (if confiscated at all).

Dave Schwartz
05-10-2013, 02:58 PM
We (as a nation) should be frightened by this, but (apparently) we are not. It is coming.

This is where one or more lefties jump in and tell us that this:

1. Never happened
or
2. Was completely legal and, therefore, OK.
or
3. Nothing to be concerned about.

TJDave
05-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Cold, dead hands... my a$$ :lol:

I've said all along that if the government wants to take our guns...it will.

Easy as pie.

boxcar
05-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Cold, dead hands... my a$$ :lol:

I've said all along that if the government wants to take our guns...it will.

Easy as pie.

And that would indeed be very hard tyranny. Nothing soft about flagrantly violating the 2nd Amendment. But even so...I don't believe the people in this country would do a thing about it. In which case, we'd get the government we deserve.

Boxcar

ArlJim78
05-10-2013, 04:58 PM
they faced no resistance because no one knew they were coming. these were innocent people caught off guard in a time of crisis by overwhelming force with automatic weapons drawn at them while they were standing around defenseless. what exactly do you expect they would do? hell they knocked the old lady down because she was holding a small unloaded pistol. how dare she think she's going to protect herself and two dogs from burglars or looters. government to the rescue! wasting time, achieving nothing, but violating your rights.

JustRalph
05-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Old news. This video has been around forever. Many credit this action during Katrina as the beginning of the current gun rush

TJDave
05-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Many credit this action during Katrina as the beginning of the current gun rush

Marketing 101

The NRA is in the 2nd Amendment business because they're in the gun business.

I don't fault them for it. It seems to be working well. However, to suggest that buying guns is protection against our government taking them is ludicrious. They have tanks. ;)

iceknight
05-10-2013, 06:21 PM
We (as a nation) should be frightened by this, but (apparently) we are not. It is coming.

1. Never happened
or
or
3. Nothing to be concerned about. You know, it is kinda interesting the you mention "lefties" here.

I got to this video or eventually got around to it when I started reading this page on fb (I will post their direct website here), I think the embedded video there is what eventually pointed me to the New Orleans one.: http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/desensitization-training-police-practice-fighting-angry-parents-05102013

and judging by their name Organic pepper/being anti monsanto etc..they (she?) definitely seems quite "leftie". But then again, maybe they are libertarian and I am confusing "organic" with leftie.. Could be my faulty "stereotyping".

classhandicapper
05-10-2013, 06:49 PM
It's all actually pretty simple.

The entire world financial system came very close to totally collapsing in 2008. The US government has been running trillion dollar deficits that the Fed has been monetizing (QE1,2,3, etc..) that debt in order to keep our debt riddled basket case economy afloat. They have no idea what this is eventually going to lead to because printing trillions of dollars like this is unprecedented in world history. It may still lead to a deflationary collapse or it may lead to hyper inflation down the line. They don't know and neither does any one else. Very similar things are going on in Europe and Japan because those governments have also spent themselves into oblivion. So you could say the entire western world and its allies are on the financial precipice grasping as straws trying to save the current system.

Even though no one knows how it's all going to end, the most informed people know the risks of something really bad happening in the not so distant future have never been higher. Those sentiments have worked their way down to some of the general public because people sense the problem without really understanding it all.

All this gun stuff is related to that.

When/if the country is hit with a deflationary collapse or hyperinflation all hell is going to break loose. So some people are preparing for the worst and the government is preparing for the unrest, rioting, and worse from the people.

I am aware of some of the most level headed, brilliant, and successful investors in the world that have been buying properties outside the US lately specifically because they want a place to escape in case the shit hits the fan. So this is not about right wing whackos etc... It's real. The risks are real.

TJDave
05-10-2013, 07:02 PM
I am aware of some of the most level headed, brilliant, and successful investors in the world that have been buying properties outside the US lately specifically because they want a place to escape in case the shit hits the fan.

The US is the most stable place in the world. If the shit hits here it will be a sewer everywhere.

classhandicapper
05-10-2013, 07:20 PM
The US is the most stable place in the world. If the shit hits here it will be a sewer everywhere.

We have the illusion of stability based on manipulated negative real interest rates and printing a trillion dollars a year to keep us afloat.

There are a few places that will hold up better than the US, but they are few and far between because western Europe and Japan are in the same boat. It's called the Titanic.

Some people are moving assets and leaving for the far east and a few have been buying properties in Costa Rica (believe it or not) and elsewhere. I don't know all the details of Costa Rica, but it's a popular escape destination.

Robert Fischer
05-11-2013, 10:36 AM
If any of us were among the most successful investors in the world, we too would have a security force, and a diversified emergency plan.

Not necessarily because the sky is falling, but because we could afford that luxury.

It's true, any number of emergencies could befall us. From regional disasters like Katrina, to global worst-case scenarios. We could also live out our lives without ever experiencing a lawless catastrophe.

classhandicapper
05-11-2013, 11:47 AM
If any of us were among the most successful investors in the world, we too would have a security force, and a diversified emergency plan.

Not necessarily because the sky is falling, but because we could afford that luxury.

It's true, any number of emergencies could befall us. From regional disasters like Katrina, to global worst-case scenarios. We could also live out our lives without ever experiencing a lawless catastrophe.

I understand your point, but that's not what I am talking about.

I'm talking about extremely bright, level headed, US citizens that have typically only left the US for vacations and business trips and that keep all their assets in US institutions.

They are deciding that the current monetary and fiscal situation in the US is so out of control it warrants moving some of their assets offshore and buying a property outside the US so they have some place to go in the event the banking system collapses or we break out into hyperinflation. It's not a desire or anything they would have even considered doing at any other point in their lives. They are looking at the facts NOW and doing what they think they have to do to protect their assets and family.

I don't want to get too involved in discussing why these concerns are warranted because it would take a book on economics, monetary policy and the history of money and banking. I can't even put a probability on it. All I can say is the probabilities are way higher now than at any other point in decades that a financial debacle will occur within 1-10 years.

It's just something I've been interest in for the last 20 years and I have some connections in the hedge fund world. This is what I am hearing from people that are not quacks etc.. I am hearing that many agree and some are actively doing things about it.

thaskalos
05-11-2013, 12:41 PM

1. Never happened
or
or

I think that this is a warning signal to some of the righties of this board...who think that they are arming themselves for protection against the government.

JustRalph
05-11-2013, 01:38 PM
I think that this is a warning signal to some of the righties of this board...who think that they are arming themselves for protection against the government.

Most of us are arming ourselves against the neighbors.................

You know, for when the EBT doesn't work anymore?

TJDave
05-11-2013, 02:23 PM

My neighbors don't know but when everything goes south...I'll be moving in. ;)

Dave Schwartz
05-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Precisely why I bought my first weapon.

I did not wish to be the last guy on my block to be armed.

I agree with TJD about the fact that they will come with tanks and they will certainly defeat me. However, there will always be the HOPE of ORGANIZED resistance and disarming of the population would work against that hope.

mostpost
05-11-2013, 02:57 PM

1. Never happened
or
or

Sorry it took me so long. I've been busy with important things like organizing my sock drawer.

This did happen, but it was nothing like the hysteria you find on the lunatic right wing web sites.

Here are some facts.
The population of New Orleans in 2010 was 370,000. It was higher at the time of Katrina, but we will use that figure. When I tried to find out what percentage of Americans own guns, I found several numbers with the highest being 45%. I used 32% which was one of the lower numbers. Using those numbers, there were 118,400 guns in New Orleans in 2005.

How many guns did this massive street to street, house to house, door to door sweep using police, national guard and imperial storm troopers led by Darth Vader confiscate? According to stories in USA Today and on FOX NEWS between five hundred and fifty and seven hundred guns were confiscated out of an estimated 118,400.

What guns were confiscated? Guns that were stolen and guns found in abandoned homes.

In my opinion, the video in the original post is fake. I think it is a combination of clips from other operations and actors playing a role.

Confiscating guns that were stolen or found stashed in alleys or in abandoned homes is a perfectly legitimate exercise of police power for public safety. Of course the NRA and other goofs on the right are very good at spinning conspiracy theories.

JustRalph
05-11-2013, 04:08 PM
What guns were confiscated? Guns that were stolen and guns found in abandoned homes.

This is a damned lie. You don't know what you are talking about.

This video was part of a CBS report. Look it up. The guys in the boat? You think they are actors? They were interviewed by several news people at the time.

Christ.......!!! almighty. You will do anything/Say anything to justify the government.

You think that old lady being tackled on camera by the cops was acting?

http://youtu.be/1Q2BXH0JfOc

watch the long form above..........the last half is the part that you might find interesting.

The part about the lawsuit?

1Q2BXH0JfOc

Robert Goren
05-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Anything done in NO was done under GWB who was backed the NRA in two elections. If this stuff fears you, then vote democratic. Liberals could never get their act together long enough to pull off it off. If it is ever done, it will be done by conservatives in name of protecting the country thugs either foreign or domestic. Just think about it for a second. Who pushing for a state Id card. A state ID card was something every Conservative opposed just a few years ago, but now they demanding you get one in order to vote, one of your basic rights. How cheaply conservatives sell out and over an issue that effect only a couple thousands voters at most. If the liberals tried something this, there would be a loud outcry from conservatives. Conservative conspiracy theories would abound and Fox News would have somebody on every ten minutes say the liberals were trying to take away your right to to vote by secret ballot. You know I am right.

fast4522
05-11-2013, 06:40 PM
A Federal ID card is a better idea, without a Federal ID perhaps you can not board a plane inside the US without a visa or cross the George Washing Bridge or other points inside the country. And make it so undocumented persons can not get one, why make it easy for fome to drain our system?

mostpost
05-11-2013, 08:21 PM
This is a damned lie. You don't know what you are talking about.

This video was part of a CBS report. Look it up. The guys in the boat? You think they are actors? They were interviewed by several news people at the time.

Christ.......!!! almighty. You will do anything/Say anything to justify the government.

You think that old lady being tackled on camera by the cops was acting?

http://youtu.be/1Q2BXH0JfOc

watch the long form above..........the last half is the part that you might find interesting.

The part about the lawsuit?

1Q2BXH0JfOc
The video is a CBS report? Really? It says right at the start that it was produced by the NRA. Wayne Lapierre is prominent in several parts. The video is supposed to be about gun confiscation in New Orleans after Katrina, but one guy says he was told that his guns were in the custody of the New Jersey state police. Last I checked New Orleans was in Louisiana. Even this video, produced by the NRA, states that the police are (or were) in possession of about 1100 firearms. Probably less then one percent of the legal firearms in New Orleans. Of course most of those confiscated were not legal.

As someone pointed out, this video is ten years old. These events took place during the Bush administration. Perhaps you can point out other large scale gun confiscations.

The whole thing is right wing paranoia. It gets worse every year. It is pathetic.

newtothegame
05-11-2013, 09:36 PM
The video is a CBS report? Really? It says right at the start that it was produced by the NRA. Wayne Lapierre is prominent in several parts. The video is supposed to be about gun confiscation in New Orleans after Katrina, but one guy says he was told that his guns were in the custody of the New Jersey state police. Last I checked New Orleans was in Louisiana. Even this video, produced by the NRA, states that the police are (or were) in possession of about 1100 firearms. Probably less then one percent of the legal firearms in New Orleans. Of course most of those confiscated were not legal.

As someone pointed out, this video is ten years old. These events took place during the Bush administration. Perhaps you can point out other large scale gun confiscations.

The whole thing is right wing paranoia. It gets worse every year. It is pathetic.
Not even close to right wing paranoia......
I was and live here..I know first hand what was done but our local governments and at the behest of state and federal governments.

you say only a small percentage of guns were taken......
Want to know why? It was only those from people who were still here and the ones the cops could find when they entered your home.

Anywhere we went, we were met with national guard troops and they completely searched your vehicle. If a weapon was found and you didn't have proper documentation (at least in St Bernard Parish), it was taken...no ifs ands or buts about it. Now how was most people supposed to have their documentation when our damn houses were completely flooded and most of us were returning to salvage whatever we could???

Yeah I know, we should of taken it with us.....well I did and I kept mine (guns). Point is, it was illegal search and seizure in my opinion. All that needed to be done was run the numbers of a weapon and verify the owner. Case closed! There was no need for what happened here.....

And to goren who claimed it was bush, sorry...Bush was not our governor giving orders......you might want to look that up.......Kathleen Blanco was a freaking joke and a huge part of the reason New Orleans was in trouble for as long as it was......

JustRalph
05-11-2013, 09:50 PM

You're such a dumbass sometimes. The New Jersey State Police and several other states were in N.O. helping out. In the video you can see CHP officers from California.

Some of the footage was taken from a local CBS affiliate in N.O. Like I said it's been around a while. You trying to use Bush as a straw man is typical. It doesn't matter who was in charge, the point of the video is that it happen at all. I see you have no comment on the Federal Judge who ordered it stopped? I guess he was an actor too...........