PDA

View Full Version : Pre Race, State by State

lamboguy
05-10-2013, 08:37 AM
http://www.horseracingreform.org/default.asp?section=2&area=1

chadk66
05-10-2013, 08:44 AM
kentucky doesn't just allow lasix does it? last I knew bute and banamine were allowed also. maybe more stuff now.

PhantomOnTour
05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Nice to know that Louisiana allows the most drugs :rolleyes:

pondman
05-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Nice to know that Louisiana allows the most drugs :rolleyes:

Also note only Jockeys and morning riders need to wear safety helmets in Louisiana.

johnhannibalsmith
05-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Pretty neat little tool. But, just after a minute of poking it looks maybe just a little misleading. For example, the clenbuterol map shows Colorado as "Published rules do not quantify regulatory levels", which seems to imply that they have no policy at all. The link takes you to the section of the rules that deal with medication policy, but the only thresholds defined in CO rules are for legal raceday meds (Lasix, bute, banamine, keta). Colorado considers itself a "zero tolerance" state - which is a fairly silly moniker in practice, but I digress - and if you were to ask a regulator there about withdrawal times or thresholds about clenbuterol, they'd tell you that the threshold is zero and the suggested withdrawal time is 90 days. Of course, that's all nonsense. If they send tests off and it comes back above zero but below what is considered a "confirmable level" by the lab, its the same thing as getting a "zero" in practice, therefore there is a threshold. But, now that I'm off on a tangent, the alleged point here was that it looks as though they just sifted through what they could find in print and so a state that says EVERYTHING except these few things are illegal might then get lumped in with a state that has no almost no rules at all, just because the rules don't explicitly give withdrawals or thresholds in deference to a stated "zero tolerance policy".

lamboguy
05-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Pretty neat little tool. But, just after a minute of poking it looks maybe just a little misleading. For example, the clenbuterol map shows Colorado as "Published rules do not quantify regulatory levels", which seems to imply that they have no policy at all. The link takes you to the section of the rules that deal with medication policy, but the only thresholds defined in CO rules are for legal raceday meds (Lasix, bute, banamine, keta). Colorado considers itself a "zero tolerance" state - which is a fairly silly moniker in practice, but I digress - and if you were to ask a regulator there about withdrawal times or thresholds about clenbuterol, they'd tell you that the threshold is zero and the suggested withdrawal time is 90 days. Of course, that's all nonsense. If they send tests off and it comes back above zero but below what is considered a "confirmable level" by the lab, its the same thing as getting a "zero" in practice, therefore there is a threshold. But, now that I'm off on a tangent, the alleged point here was that it looks as though they just sifted through what they could find in print and so a state that says EVERYTHING except these few things are illegal might then get lumped in with a state that has no almost no rules at all, just because the rules don't explicitly give withdrawals or thresholds in deference to a stated "zero tolerance policy".i would love to take this fine piece of handicapping one step further. i have offered the racing form $20 per card to report on medication changes and injury's that horses are being treated for. i still have not received a response from them on that matter.

5k-claim
05-10-2013, 01:24 PM
kentucky doesn't just allow lasix does it? last I knew bute and banamine were allowed also. maybe more stuff now. Chad, did you notice the drop-down menu "Now displaying use of:" ?

Or that you could click on individual states for more details?

Just to let you know, either phenylbutazone or flunixin or ketoprofen the day before at appropriate dosage, plus lasix on race day.

5k-claim
05-10-2013, 01:28 PM
i would love to take this fine piece of handicapping one step further. i have offered the racing form $20 per card to report on medication changes and injury's that horses are being treated for. i still have not received a response from them on that matter. What information do you think the Racing Form has collected about "medication changes" or "injury's that horses are being treated for" that they are not sharing with you? And do you mean $20 per card per day?

I think I might know why they did not respond to you. But I bet they made note of your e-mail address.

Saratoga_Mike
05-10-2013, 01:39 PM
i would love to take this fine piece of handicapping one step further. i have offered the racing form $20 per card to report on medication changes and injury's that horses are being treated for. i still have not received a response from them on that matter.

Given they don't have access to the information, you could offer them $100/card and you still wouldn't get it. Of course you know this.

lamboguy
05-10-2013, 01:51 PM
What information do you think the Racing Form has collected about "medication changes" or "injury's that horses are being treated for" that they are not sharing with you? And do you mean $20 per card per day?

I think I might know why they did not respond to you. But I bet they made note of your e-mail address.

.you are making me out to be nuts. but i know people that hang around racetracks that do nothing but find out when horses get tapped and what medication they get. they get this information from licensed vets that work at the tracks.

the point i am trying to make is that the information is obtainable, but there is nothing in print.

Saratoga_Mike
05-10-2013, 01:59 PM
you are making me out to be nuts. but i know people that hang around racetracks that do nothing but find out when horses get tapped and what medication they get. they get this information from licensed vets that work at the tracks.

the point i am trying to make is that the information is obtainable, but there is nothing in print.

Sounds reliable - surprising they don't print it.

pondman
05-10-2013, 02:11 PM
you are making me out to be nuts. but i know people that hang around racetracks that do nothing but find out when horses get tapped and what medication they get. they get this information from licensed vets that work at the tracks.

There are people who hang around tracks to see horses standing in buckets of ice. Licensed vets? I'd talk with the juicers and the drug dealers, and find out who is bringing in the good stuff.

lamboguy
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
there is nothing big about this, in the National Football League there are published injury reports every single week way before the games. the gamblers know the type and the extent of the injury so they can make their decisions responsibly. as far as i know the handle in football wagering has not taken a free fall like horse racing has in recent years in North America

not only that, but racing in the orient does report injuries and their handles have not gone down either.

5k-claim
05-10-2013, 02:42 PM
you are making me out to be nuts. but i know people that hang around racetracks that do nothing but find out when horses get tapped and what medication they get. they get this information from licensed vets that work at the tracks. Well, a few things come to mind:

(1) At least the vets giving the drugs... and the information... are licensed.

(2) I obviously do not hang around with the right vets. They never tell me very much about other guys' horses or which ones to bet on.

(3) Those people hanging around the track need to come out with a handicapping tip sheet and sell it. Isn't that more steady money than betting? What kind of hit rate with some moderate longshots would a tip sheet need in order to stay in business? You wouldn't even need to hit every day, would you?

lamboguy
05-10-2013, 03:15 PM
Well, a few things come to mind:

(1) At least the vets giving the drugs... and the information... are licensed.

(2) I obviously do not hang around with the right vets. They never tell me very much about other guys' horses or which ones to bet on.

(3) Those people hanging around the track need to come out with a handicapping tip sheet and sell it. Isn't that more steady money than betting? What kind of hit rate with some moderate longshots would a tip sheet need in order to stay in business? You wouldn't even need to hit every day, would you?

i would never sell a tip sheet for first time starters, i make more betting them than i could possibly get from clients. i am a bettor not a tout.

thespaah
05-10-2013, 09:29 PM
The fact that there is a hodgepodge of rules is one of the glaring problems with horse racing.

MightBeSosa
05-11-2013, 12:01 AM

good thing too, else the attendance would be even poorer.

And I guarantee those guys are worse for your roi than any rebate bettors.

cordep17
05-11-2013, 12:28 AM
i would never sell a tip sheet for first time starters, i make more betting them than i could possibly get from clients. i am a bettor not a tout.

How is a two year old race with all first time starters not a crap shoot?

thespaah
05-11-2013, 08:35 AM
How is a two year old race with all first time starters not a crap shoot?
I ask myself the same question. Then a 3-5 shot wins by a pole.

chadk66
05-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Chad, did you notice the drop-down menu "Now displaying use of:" ?

Or that you could click on individual states for more details?

Just to let you know, either phenylbutazone or flunixin or ketoprofen the day before at appropriate dosage, plus lasix on race day.

.thanks, didn't see that.

nijinski
05-12-2013, 02:14 AM

I won't ask the name of the vets but what tracks?

The problem here is , if this is true , doubt that many Vets would do this .
You know they are breaking a privacy law and if it's not a law in the equine world it's still unspoken .
They risk losing their license and Vet school is not cheap . I would say finding
them is not that easy . The few that are bad seeds that is .
Could be a Vet tech with an issue maybe ?? But they too are hardworking
people who usually take pride in what they do .