Hello All! Here is the list of tracks and horses for Thursday, 5/9:

Belmont - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Hollywood - 3,5,6,7,8
Churchill - 5,7,9,10
Woodbine - 3,4,7
Pimlico - 9
Calder - 4,7
Arlington - 6

First, let me state the obvious for anyone new who happens into this little corner of the racing world. The table above is a list of tracks and races, not some sort of secret code representing picks. So for example, for Pimlico, Slew has at least one horse in race 9 that came out of a qualifying contest. For Belmont, there are 9 races with horses that Slew identifies as having run in qualifying contests. If you have yet to do so, you can read the instruction pages on my website as to what this means and how to use Slew's info. So what you see here is just the tip of the iceberg. Use the link below to go to Slew's website and download the daily race day file. That is where the gold is.

And now back to our regularly scheduled racing program.

We have a Key Horse running today (5/10):

Floral Romance - Bel ( 6) GP 12/29/12 # 9

I have been waiting for this one to run back. She makes our list off of her Gulfstream Park race of 12/29/2012. I finished up my original GP review with the following notes: We will finish up on December 29th, 2012 in race # 9 with Bill Mott, Pam and Martin Wygod and Floral Romance. I see why, after breeding her...they kept her!
After breaking her maiden at Belmont in her first try, she really looked special handling first level allowance company at Gulfstream Park. With Joel Rosario up, she broke awkwardly
and sort of idled through the first half mile. But moving 5 wide, and around the far turn no less, ate up the competition running away in a final furlong of 11.83 for the 1 1/8 mile race.
I’m putting a check mark next to her name in Slew’s database, and I am sure you will see her on Slew’s lists sometime in the near future.

Well, here she is. She is undefeated in two starts, and really did look special in her last. Also special is the unusual listing for race 6 at Belmont Park by Slew. Because Slew lists 9 different horses for this race. Floral Romance is not one of them. That is because her 12/29 race doesn't qualify, as only two splits were fast enough to be considered. However, she was not involved until the last quarter and in that quarter, the final furlong, as noted above, went very quickly.

I would however, put her firmly in position numero uno, do not pass go but proceed right to the head of the class. I can only hope her 3-1 ML doesn't fold, as the only horse shorter than her is the MTO entry Centring. Now all of that hyperbole aside, the race on 12/29 was worthy of note for one reason: since then only one horse from that contest has run well. Riolama, who was 5th behind Floral Romance on 12/29, ran second behind Kibosh on 4/7 at Belmont in a 35K N1xOC. Kibosh was just 2nd to Dayatthespa in the You Go West Stakes at Belont Park. That's it, folks. The entire field can be considered suspect, some looking for their first allowance win while others made it on the money side of the conditions. That however, doesn't take away from the professional manner with which she dispatched the field, or slow down the frisky final furlong.

I suspect that no such timing will occur on the Belmont turf, especially with the rains that hit during the week. Additionally, in this current affair only Zultanite (also a key horse for Slew last summer) and Zaphyra (MTO) enters for the 62.5k OC tag. Everyone else comes in under the N1x condition. If she is ready to run, she should not be outclassed.

Her pilot will be non other than Joel Rosario. Now I do not have the PP's in front of me and so I cannot tell you how often Mr. Mott and Mr. Rosario have collaborated this year. But I think this may be a major mount down the road and may be an indication that Joel will be riding some nice ones for Mr. Mott. If so, watch out.

As for the filly, she has had a 4 month layoff so I would consider her carefully for this one, especially if the turf retains moisture from the rains earlier in the week. Regardless, she is one to watch with an eye towards the summer and Saratoga, and if her odds hold, you might just take a shot.

Mr. Mott doesn't enter his runners just to hear their hooves rattle.

Enjoy the Friday racing...good luck and good 'capping!