PDA

View Full Version : Belmont mud vs Belmont slop

Stillriledup
05-09-2013, 03:47 AM
I noticed that on May 8th at Belmont, the first 5 races were listed as Sloppy sealed and the 6th race was listed as Muddy sealed.

Does anyone know if the muddy designation was announced before Race 6, or, is this something that gets changed after the race when its determined the track has less slop on top?

The other question i have is this. What was done to the track, from a maintenance standpoint, to make it go from slop to mud. It appeared to me that it was raining on the telecast all day, so, i'm not sure how the track would 'dry' enough to change the track condition, but the slop seemed to go away somewhat.

Thanks for any help.

wiffleball whizz
05-09-2013, 04:10 AM
Curious myself about what makes a track sloppy and what makes a track muddy...

Just as a UNeducated guess I'd say a sloppy track is sloppy with current rain and muddy is sloppy but not raining.......again all the making of the dumbest post in history

Just like in harness is there really that much difference betweeen fast good and sloppy? Not like the track is deep.....

Would love to hear a response to SRU thread

jerry-g
05-09-2013, 04:42 AM
Slop makes me think of pooling water and mud..no pooling but it could
be raining both times.

Tom
05-09-2013, 07:32 AM
My understand is that muddy follow sloppy, and is related to how much water and mow much has been absorbed. That is old "knowledge" from the 8-Track ages.

Tall One
05-09-2013, 09:27 AM
I noticed that on May 8th at Belmont, the first 5 races were listed as Sloppy sealed and the 6th race was listed as Muddy sealed.

Does anyone know if the muddy designation was announced before Race 6, or, is this something that gets changed after the race when its determined the track has less slop on top?

Pretty sure it was before the race..

Races 1-5 were pretty much dominated by early speed.

rubicon55
05-09-2013, 09:41 AM
My thoughts are sloppy track means standing water on the surface while muddy track the moisture has been absorbed into the medium. Some thoughts are that horses that rate on muddy tracks may be more fit due to the additional work involved.

FantasticDan
05-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Speaking of Belmont slop, DRF's David Grening tweeted this today:

Judging by the amount of water in the sound room at Belmont Park, I'd say the new roof didn't take. Somebody get Durkin a canoe

:faint:

pandy
05-09-2013, 01:11 PM
It was announced before the race.

wiffleball whizz
05-09-2013, 02:54 PM
My understand is that muddy follow sloppy, and is related to how much water and mow much has been absorbed. That is old "knowledge" from the 8-Track ages.

8 track ages????? Explain please

johnhannibalsmith
05-09-2013, 03:08 PM
8 track ages????? Explain please

Something that he learned decades ago, as in, back when eight track cassettes were en vogue.

rubicon55
05-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Something that he learned decades ago, as in, back when eight track cassettes were en vogue.

Gotta remember there is a whole generation who don't know what a vinyl LP or what a 45 is, LOL.