PDA

View Full Version : The jump from college to the NFL

Valuist
05-07-2013, 12:14 PM
To give one an idea of how big the jump is, just take a look at the recent College Football Hall of Fame nominees. Hard to find three players so dominant in college yet mostly ineffective on Sundays:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9250529/vinny-testaverde-danny-wuerffel-ron-dayne-lead-college-football-hall-fame-class

Marshall Bennett
05-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Not sure who's in the hall, but names that quickly come to mind are Pat Sullivan, Pat Screen, Eric Crouch, Archie Manning, Steve Spurrier, Charlie Ward, and Andre Ware. All quarterbacks.

PhantomOnTour
05-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Just look at Heisman winners to see how tough it is - few become good players in the NFL...

Rashaan Salaam (my favorite)
Charlie Ward
Mark Ingram
Danny Weurffel
and many more...

did Crouch win it?
any of the Detmer's win it?

TJDave
05-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Just look at Heisman winners to see how tough it is - few become good players in the NFL...

Not so hard to understand when you realize how large a recuitment pool the NFL has to work with. Heisman winners are typically marquee players from marquee programs. Not South-Central Mississippi Junior-Junior College.

Ocala Mike
05-07-2013, 05:00 PM
It's like jumping from a MdSpWt win to the Breeders Cup Classic.

Striker
05-07-2013, 05:12 PM

Rashaan Salaam (my favorite)
Charlie Ward
Mark Ingram
Danny Weurffel
and many more...

did Crouch win it?
any of the Detmer's win it?
Ty Detmer and Crouch both won it, and I would add Gino Toretta and Jason White to your list above.

Marshall Bennett
05-07-2013, 08:39 PM
I'll throw in Jeff George as well. :bang:

RXB
05-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Matt Leinart won the Heisman.

Vince Young would've won it if not for Reggie Bush (whose award was later vacated).