PDA

View Full Version : Jody Arias

PhantomOnTour
05-06-2013, 12:07 PM
I haven't a clue about the specifics of this case....evidently she is accused of murdering her boyfriend or husband.
But that's not the point - i happened to be channel surfing and stumbled upon Verdict Watch on CNN...what a joke.

Jane Velez Neurosis is interviewing people who, for some reason, came to stand outside the courtroom awaiting the verdict. Apparently they are expecting one soon.
So, Jane Velez Crackpot is interviewing a woman who SKIPPED WORK TODAY to come stand outside a courtroom...really?

My main point is...WTF is wrong with these folks...taking a day off work to await a verdict. Funny but we at home will probably get the verdict before those folks standing around outside the halls of justice.
Guess i'm getting old because i keep asking myself the question, "What the hell is wrong with everyone !?"

johnhannibalsmith
05-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I envy your lack of familiarity with this bogus story.

Living in Arizona, you'd think that this was the only thing that has happened in the last century.

Jody Arias officially forced me to never watch local news again.

HUSKER55
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM
HIT POT,

I keep asking that same question everyday. I seem to be saying it more and more and more.

Something has seriously gone wrong in the USA.

Marshall Bennett
05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
HIT POT

Something has seriously gone wrong in the USA.
Certainly you haven't only now come to that realization? :cool:

PhantomOnTour
05-06-2013, 04:57 PM
A whole 5 hours later and still no verdict - oh dear - the suspense is killing me.

CNN still standing by, as are the countless dopes who missed work and suspended their lives to come stand outside the courtroom.

CNN anchor is asking such poignant questions as:

"How bout the courtroom itself; is it locked?"
and
"How is this all going to happen? Who's gonna be told, how are they gonna be told, what's the process?"
To which this lovely reply came: "When that verdict is announced it will be read by the Clerk of the Court"
The anchors are proudly displaying their blackberry's to show us that they're connected and will know ASAP when a verdict is delivered.

Thank the good Lord they are on top of this !
:rolleyes:

HUSKER55
05-07-2013, 07:43 AM
yes marshal,...I have come to that realization...just now!

I had a vision.....I called for my mommy, she showed up and started to laugh.

she started out with, "betcha' didn't see this one coming".

as she was leaving she turned and smiled and said, in a loving manner that only a mother could do, "on the upside,...BO has made sure you will you will never be constipated".

During the coarse of our conversation

crap!

gotta take the grandkid to school.

everyone have a nice day!
:)

rastajenk
05-07-2013, 08:44 AM
The peeps waiting outside....are they for her or against her? I too have avoided this story so far, so I have no idea whether she's a populist defendant trying to avoid prosecutional overreach, or a scumbag murderer awaiting true justice.

Why can't white women be murder defendants without becoming some kind of cause celebre?

ArlJim78
05-07-2013, 10:59 AM
it must be evidence that I don't watch cable news shows, but I have no idea what this is about.

Stillriledup
05-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Every 5 seconds i hear this name Arias. Is this person someone famous? I never heard of her before this trial, what was she famous for before this incident?

Marshall Bennett
05-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Every 5 seconds i hear this name Arias. Is this person someone famous? I never heard of her before this trial, what was she famous for before this incident?
Absolutely nothing, as was the case with Casey Anthony. The media builds these cases and the public jumps on. Plain & simple.

riskman
05-25-2013, 09:00 PM
I ran across coverage of this murder trial on CNN Headline News. The carnival like atmosphere by the media and others outside the court house was way over the top. You would think the prosecuting attorneys were celebrities with the groupies outside seeking autographs and adulation. Jodi Arias was convicted of 1st degree murder of her boyfriend Travis Alexander.The murder was particularly gruesome. She is now awaiting sentencing- life or death. The jury still out on this one. Arias appears to be calm cool and collected except when it comes to murdering people.

cj's dad
05-26-2013, 03:00 AM
The jury is deadlocked in the sentencing part of the trial. The judge has empaneled a new jury. Personally I oppose the death penalty: it costs too much (appeals, isolation costs, etc...) and there is zero doubt in my mind that innocent persons have been executed.

I can not imagine a more severe penalty than being locked in a 8x10 cell 23 hours a day with one hour of exercise. Let her rot in jail; a fate worse than death.

wiffleball whizz
05-26-2013, 03:47 AM
The jury is deadlocked in the sentencing part of the trial. The judge has empaneled a new jury. Personally I oppose the death penalty: it costs too much (appeals, isolation costs, etc...) and there is zero doubt in my mind that innocent persons have been executed.

I can not imagine a more severe penalty than being locked in a 8x10 cell 23 hours a day with one hour of exercise. Let her rot in jail; a fate worse than death.

Sometimes we think we have it bad when we got 2 horses in a pk3 and one 10/1 the other is 8/5 and the 8/5 beats 10/1 on the wire can there be anything worse then your either facing life in prison or death like you said there are innocent people in this exact position and it's terrible....

I too am opposed to the death penalty....I think being locked in a 8x10 cell 23 hours a day is as bad as it gets

Robert Goren
05-26-2013, 07:57 AM
I doubt she would get the death penalty. From what I heard, if the second jury doesn't give it to her. The judge then will have a choice between two sentences; life without parole or 25 to life. If the news media had not pick up this story, she would gotten the 25 to life (that seems to be sentence of choice around here, at least, for spouse/lover killers), now she will probably get life without parole. Then appeals process begins.

Marshall Bennett
05-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Not sure that in many jurisdictions she would even received life. Simply being a woman speaks volumes in the hearts of many juries around the country.
I believe the death penalty is appropriate in some cases, not this one however. The prosecution presented a strong case, not enough for me to send someone to death.

magwell
05-26-2013, 12:58 PM
If she was a overweight" plain Jane" this trial would never have made the big TV show it has become, no matter how brutal this was.....:rolleyes:

Marshall Bennett
05-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Sara Jane Moore and Squeeky Fromme for example. Each tried to assassinate President Ford. Their cases and aftermath pretty much fell on deaf ears as I recall. Both were a country mile from being pretty.

Marshall Bennett
05-28-2013, 08:47 AM
It's reported this morning that she's been on Twitter making comments. Am I missing something here? Why is this convicted murderer allowed access to a computer? I understand this may be allowed during pretrial and trial phases, but that's ended. No appeals have been set in place either. I don't believe I've ever heard of such lunacy following a guilty verdict. The sentencing phase should have zero to do with it.

Robert Goren
05-28-2013, 08:52 AM
It's reported this morning that she's been on Twitter making comments. Am I missing something here? Why is this convicted murderer allowed access to a computer? I understand this may be allowed during pretrial and trial phases, but that's ended. No appeals have been set in place either. I don't believe I've ever heard of such lunacy following a guilty verdict. The sentencing phase should have zero to do with it.Twitter has nothing to do with a computer.

woodtoo
05-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Twitter has nothing to do with a computer.

A lot of people follow Twitter on a computer so it does have something to do
with computers.

Though that was not the point of Marshall's post,but you already knew that.:faint:

johnhannibalsmith
05-28-2013, 10:48 AM
It's reported this morning that she's been on Twitter making comments. Am I missing something here? Why is this convicted murderer allowed access to a computer? I understand this may be allowed during pretrial and trial phases, but that's ended. No appeals have been set in place either. I don't believe I've ever heard of such lunacy following a guilty verdict. The sentencing phase should have zero to do with it.

Disclaimer: The only reason I know this is because my local news is in PHX and 57 of every 60 minutes of every broadcast is devoted to this crap. This story drives me nuts. I can't stand hearing about it.

Anyway - she had been "twittering" all along and her twittering had been done by a friend that she communicated with and then relayed it through her account on this skank's behalf. I refuse to watch the news so I can't say with any certainty that the latest Twitter action is the same motif, but I'm guessing that's the case. Sheriff Jose has to keep up appearances, so I doubt that post-conviction she is now doing it herself if she couldn't during the trial.

Greyfox
05-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Sara Jane Moore and Squeeky Fromme for example. Each tried to assassinate President Ford. Their cases and aftermath pretty much fell on deaf ears as I recall. Both were a country mile from being pretty.

True.
But in those days, I don't recall TV cameras being allowed in Courtrooms like they are today.
An event of that nature would likely be covered with more intensity today.

Marshall Bennett
05-28-2013, 12:04 PM
The way it was reported this morning was she was tweeting. I took it she was doing it herself. It's understandable a friend could be relaying messages and if that's the case that's how it should be reported imo.
Anyway, I often forget when the media gets it's masses involved in the justice system, a lot of logic gets tossed out the window. The Lindsey Lohan saga's been milking it for how long now?

Actor
05-29-2013, 01:16 PM
The jury is deadlocked in the sentencing part of the trial. The judge has empaneled a new jury.
The second jury has yet to be empaneled. The second trial will begin in a couple of months, according go CNN.

If the second jury votes for death then the defense is planning to appeal based on the Constitutional prohibition against double jeopardy. It then comes down to politics. If Obama gets to appoint a liberal Supreme Court justice before SCOTUS hears the case then she gets life, otherwise she gets death.

The trial has already cost the state of Arizona $2 million. The second penalty trial will cost another $2 million and if she gets death the appeal will cost yet another $2 million, all of it paid for by Arizona taxpayers. The first jury was deadlocked 8:4 for death. Would you bet $4 million at those odds? The prosecution could save the Arizona taxpayers a lot of money by taking the death penalty off the table.

I can not imagine a more severe penalty than being locked in a 8x10 cell 23 hours a day with one hour of exercise. Let her rot in jail; a fate worse than death.I don't think she will be "locked in a 8x10 cell 23 hours a day". I know it was done in the past, e.g., the Bird Man of Alcatraz, but today the courts consider it cruel and unusual punishment. She will probably be put in general population if she behaves, unless she needs protection from the other inmates.

cj's dad
05-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Not being as familiar as you are with the prison system guidelines, I would still think that being in a cell for the rest of my life would be a terrible sentence.

The second jury has yet to be empaneled. The second trial will begin in a couple of months, according go CNN.

If the second jury votes for death then the defense is planning to appeal based on the Constitutional prohibition against double jeopardy. It then comes down to politics. If Obama gets to appoint a liberal Supreme Court justice before SCOTUS hears the case then she gets life, otherwise she gets death.

The trial has already cost the state of Arizona $2 million. The second penalty trial will cost another $2 million and if she gets death the appeal will cost yet another $2 million, all of it paid for by Arizona taxpayers. The first jury was deadlocked 8:4 for death. Would you bet $4 million at those odds? The prosecution could save the Arizona taxpayers a lot of money by taking the death penalty off the table.

I don't think she will be "locked in a 8x10 cell 23 hours a day". I know it was done in the past, e.g., the Bird Man of Alcatraz, but today the courts consider it cruel and unusual punishment. She will probably be put in general population if she behaves, unless she needs protection from the other inmates.

EQUIPACE
05-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Absolutely nothing, as was the case with Casey Anthony. The media builds these cases and the public jumps on. Plain & simple.

Your absolutely right about the media...
That bimbo Nancy Grace from CNN is the perfect example.
She was causing a frenzy over the Casey Anthony trial and now she's doing it with the Jodi Arias trial. It makes me crazy because my wife can't change the channel when she's on. I just have to leave the room.

Just to show you how phony she is, she was recently caught conducting a fake sattelite interview with CNN's Ashleigh Banfield, Turns out they, or at least it appears they are interviewing each other from the same parking lot. :lol:

This is so blatantly fake!
http://www.worldwidehippies.com/2013/05/09/busted-cnn-anchors-fake-a-satellite-interview-in-the-same-parking/