PDA

View Full Version : Derby Results Chart Discrepancy?

Longshot6977
05-05-2013, 04:03 PM
I noticed this on the DRF and Equibase result charts. The winning post was :15:. Even after the :1: was scratched, the horses remained in and left from their assigned posts so :3: left from post 3 and :4: left from post 4 etc.
Will it go down in the historical data charts that post position :15: won the race? What gives? Shouldn't it show :16: as the winning post position?

cj
05-05-2013, 04:21 PM
It isn't a discrepancy. That is how things are always reported. The first "filled" post is #1, and so on.

Robert Fischer
05-05-2013, 04:24 PM
I noticed this on the DRF and Equibase result charts. The winning post was :15:. Even after the :1: was scratched, the horses remained in and left from their assigned posts so :3: left from post 3 and :4: left from post 4 etc.
Will it go down in the historical data charts that post position :15: won the race? What gives? Shouldn't it show :16: as the winning post position?

That is weird. Good point.
It's just the way it worked out this year. Orb ran from gate post 16. However the post position is traditionally counted by runner from the inside-out (not by gate).

Stillriledup
05-05-2013, 05:15 PM
That is weird. Good point.
It's just the way it worked out this year. Orb ran from gate post 16. However the post position is traditionally counted by runner from the inside-out (not by gate).

It is interesting because now, when people see the chart that the Lukas horse started from post 1 in the Derby, its not 'equal' to a conventional post 1....its a tricky call either way.

johnhannibalsmith
05-05-2013, 05:32 PM
It is interesting because now, when people see the chart that the Lukas horse started from post 1 in the Derby, its not 'equal' to a conventional post 1....its a tricky call either way.

I'm sure if you go back and watch all your replays, you'll find that from time to time the 'one' isn't actually in the first stall. In fact, you can watch the fourth at TuP at this moment for an example.

Tom
05-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Reporting what happened is above the pay grade at most tracks.
I don't think, seriously, half the tracks could get it right anyway.

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm sure if you go back and watch all your replays, you'll find that from time to time the 'one' isn't actually in the first stall. In fact, you can watch the fourth at TuP at this moment for an example.For some on here who purport being immersed in the game, there sure are a lot of silly questions being asked lately...wouldn't you say?

Longshot6977
05-05-2013, 07:44 PM
For some on here who purport being immersed in the game, there sure are a lot of silly questions being asked lately...wouldn't you say?

I am hoping you weren't pointing to my original question as being one of the 'silly' ones Mr Pace.

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2013, 07:57 PM
I am hoping you weren't pointing to my original question as being one of the 'silly' ones Mr Pace.No, because you're not on here posting all the time about how many race replays you watch...I figure a guy as immersed in the game as Stillriledup claims to be would know this stuff.

dilanesp
05-05-2013, 08:29 PM
25 years ago, when coupled entries were much more common (and there was a mutuel field in the Derby), nobody would have ever asked this question. Probably every track program in the country said something like "program numbers do not necessarily correspond to post position". And everyone started counting at whatever the first OCCUPIED stall was in the gate and went 1, 2, 3, etc. to determine post position.

iwearpurple
05-06-2013, 12:17 AM
25 years ago, when coupled entries were much more common (and there was a mutuel field in the Derby), nobody would have ever asked this question. Probably every track program in the country said something like "program numbers do not necessarily correspond to post position". And everyone started counting at whatever the first OCCUPIED stall was in the gate and went 1, 2, 3, etc. to determine post position.

And that brings up another point. I believe that 25 years ago, Pletcher's horses would have had to run as an entry 1,1A,1B,1C, and 1D.

Stillriledup
05-06-2013, 05:53 AM
No, because you're not on here posting all the time about how many race replays you watch...I figure a guy as immersed in the game as Stillriledup claims to be would know this stuff.

You figure right. Good call. :ThmbUp:

depalma113
05-06-2013, 06:10 AM
And that brings up another point. I believe that 25 years ago, Pletcher's horses would have had to run as an entry 1,1A,1B,1C, and 1D.

True, but hat is against the law now in Kentucky.