PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose

cj
05-05-2013, 03:31 PM
How could any teammate, or any NBA player for that matter, ever respect this guy again?

elysiantraveller
05-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm glad you posted this because I was thinking about doing it...

I can't believe anyone would ever respect this guy again. I was never a huge Rose fan but respected him as a player but now I just think he is a mental midget... The whole thing is amazing to me. I hate the Bulls with a passion and have never liked Noah but I am now officially a Bulls fan until Rose returns.

Valuist
05-05-2013, 06:27 PM

I can't believe anyone would ever respect this guy again. I was never a huge Rose fan but respected him as a player but now I just think he is a mental midget... The whole thing is amazing to me. I hate the Bulls with a passion and have never liked Noah but I am now officially a Bulls fan until Rose returns.

You really hate the Bulls? I can see hating the Heat, or the Pistons from years ago, or Pat Riley's Knicks, or even the Jordan era Bulls.....but this team? Why?

FWIW, for the past two months, Rose has been taking quite a bit of heat (rightfully so) in town. Part of his rehab is to play. His image is taking a hit.

mostpost
05-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Dear Mr. Elysiantraveller,
We have received your application to be a Bulls fan. We regret to inform you that your application has been rejected. We require our fans to have a knowledge of both the game and the team. If you hate the Bulls, you hate team basketball. If you hate Joachim Noah, you hate a player who puts his body on the line for his team and teammates in every game. We think you would be happier as a fan of the Washington Wizards. We have forwarded your application to them.
Sincerely,
The Chicago Bulls Fan Approval Committee.

cj
05-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Dear Mr. Elysiantraveller,
We have received your application to be a Bulls fan. We regret to inform you that your application has been rejected. We require our fans to have a knowledge of both the game and the team. If you hate the Bulls, you hate team basketball. If you hate Joachim Noah, you hate a player who puts his body on the line for his team and teammates in every game. We think you would be happier as a fan of the Washington Wizards. We have forwarded your application to them.
Sincerely,
The Chicago Bulls Fan Approval Committee.

A true member of the committee would know how to spell Noah's first name.

Stillriledup
05-06-2013, 06:01 AM
This is a young guy with many years of great basketball ahead of him. If he reinjures this by coming back too soon, that's not good.

If i was a fan of the Bulls, i would have no problem with this decision, but i could see both sides of the argument.

Robert Fischer
05-06-2013, 12:43 PM
The Heat are a lock to win the East (and the West if they are healthy enough).
I don't care if Rose is in MVP form, they aren't getting past Miami.

If he's not 110% healthy after this catastrophic knee injury and surgery, the right financial decision is to come back next season.

With the NBA and the fairly frequent occurrence of these dynasty super-teams(often built around the league's flagship player), suspension of disbelief is very important to the marketing and the fans. Especially in markets like Chicago, Boston, LA, and New York where fans believe they have a shot at a ring every year. It's great for the NBA's bottom line, and it's part of the fun.

So fans in Chicago, and around the league in general, and the opportunistic media, are going crazy over Derek Rose, as if the significance of the moment was much greater.

Robert Fischer
05-06-2013, 12:44 PM

ZING

Striker
05-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Only problem that I have is that Rose and the Bulls haven't ruled him out for the year yet. No way he is coming back, and if he does I think that it would be pretty stupid, especailly if it were against the Heat.

mostpost
05-06-2013, 02:29 PM
One to five you looked up the spelling before you posted.

cj
05-06-2013, 02:32 PM
One to five you looked up the spelling before you posted.

You lose.

Robert Goren
05-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Is there any reason to believe that Rose made the decision or did the Bulls make it for him. If I was in position of power with the Bulls, there is no way I would let him play. Players with his talents too valuable to silly risk just get passed one round of the playoffs. Basketball players who try to comeback too soon become players that are traded for salary cap relief. The league is full of them. You see them move from team to team several times a year.

cj
05-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Is there any reason to believe that Rose made the decision or did the Bulls make it for him. If I was in position of power with the Bulls, there is no way I would let him play. Players with his talents too valuable to silly risk just get passed one round of the playoffs. Basketball players who try to comeback too soon become players that are traded for salary cap relief. The league is full of them. You see them move from team to team several times a year.

He has been cleared to play by doctors for a few months now. It would only be coming back too soon because he seems to be afraid it is too soon, not for any physical reasons.

wiffleball whizz
05-06-2013, 03:01 PM
He has been cleared to play by doctors for a few months now. It would only be coming back too soon because he seems to be afraid it is too soon, not for any physical reasons.

This is one of the first times I've ever heard a player be cleared to play and is not playing by his own choice......I mean I can see it in the actual grind of the regular season but to see it in the 2nd round of a playoff series is just unheard of....

I haven't seen the dates of these games but there is usually more then enough rest days in between games.... Play some ball already!!

magwell
05-06-2013, 03:25 PM
He has been cleared to play by doctors for a few months now. It would only be coming back too soon because he seems to be afraid it is too soon, not for any physical reasons. Yep and the Bulls need him like plasma, I guess it's like some jocks that are never the same after a bad spill, its a shame for Bull fans.....go Heat

Striker
05-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Not saying that this applies to the Rose situation, as that was like you said a few months ago, but do you think that all/most pro athletes are ready to resume 100% on the field/playing surface when a doctor clears them to do so? I would think that a high percentage of them that had injuries would say that they shouldn't have followed those orders. Kenny Smith even talked about this the other night telling Barkley that there were plenty of times that he shouldn't have been on the court when he was cleared to play.

Valuist
05-06-2013, 11:45 PM
We don't need no stinkin' D-Rose. Not when we've got Nate Robinson. Down goes the Heat. That's two in a row the Rose-less Bulls have beaten the Heat.

Robert Fischer
05-07-2013, 01:22 PM
We don't need no stinkin' D-Rose. Not when we've got Nate Robinson. Down goes the Heat. That's two in a row the Rose-less Bulls have beaten the Heat.

The Heat are a lock to win the East (and the West if they are healthy enough).
I don't care if Rose is in MVP form, they aren't getting past Miami.

Like I said, BULLS in 5 :blush:

Striker
05-07-2013, 01:55 PM
It's pretty easy to root for this Bulls squad with how hard they play.

elysiantraveller
05-07-2013, 03:09 PM
You really hate the Bulls? I can see hating the Heat, or the Pistons from years ago, or Pat Riley's Knicks, or even the Jordan era Bulls.....but this team? Why?

Ding!

I live in Michigan and have whole hordes of "Bulls fans" that only exist because of that era. Like I said I really like and respect this Bulls team but I simply cannot get over my distaste, developed at a young age, for that franchise.

Striker
05-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Ding!

I live in Michigan and have whole hordes of "Bulls fans" that only exist because of that era. Like I said I really like and respect this Bulls team but I simply cannot get over my distaste, developed at a young age, for that franchise.
The Pistons owned the Bulls in the late 80s right before that Bulls era tookover in the early 90s. How were/are they not Pistons fans?

Striker
05-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Rumors on the Chicago news stations that Rose will be in uniform for Game 3 on Friday.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-08-2013, 01:02 AM
Rose who?

Valuist
05-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Rumors on the Chicago news stations that Rose will be in uniform for Game 3 on Friday.

I think they may as well just tank game 2 and focus their energy on Game 3 at the UC. No way the Heat drop the first 2 at home; don't fly Deng down there. Get him ready for game 3. I doubt we see Hinrich at all this series. And maybe Rose can contribute 15 minutes.

Valuist
05-08-2013, 10:44 AM
The zig zag theory has been used for years in NBA playoff handicapping. It works best in series where there is a clearly defined series favorite. We have that here (Miami).

Basically, the series underdog needs to fire its best shot to take one of the opening 2 road games. Then game 3 at home is an absolute MUST win. The underdog Bulls did their job in game 1. They may have gotten the Heat's attention and I would expect a strong effort from Miami in game two. The Bulls' individual game performance tells when to go against them in their next game.

A loss is ok in game two UNLESS there's an injury, or a give-up-the lead late narrow loss. If the Bulls were to lead for much of the game only to have the Heat pull it out late, there could be a psychological carryover in game 3 about the one that got away.

Robert Fischer
05-08-2013, 11:43 AM
The zig zag theory has been used for years in NBA playoff handicapping. It works best in series where there is a clearly defined series favorite. We have that here (Miami).

Basically, the series underdog needs to fire its best shot to take one of the opening 2 road games. Then game 3 at home is an absolute MUST win. The underdog Bulls did their job in game 1. They may have gotten the Heat's attention and I would expect a strong effort from Miami in game two. The Bulls' individual game performance tells when to go against them in their next game.

A loss is ok in game two UNLESS there's an injury, or a give-up-the lead late narrow loss. If the Bulls were to lead for much of the game only to have the Heat pull it out late, there could be a psychological carryover in game 3 about the one that got away.

Good stuff.

In addition to pointing towards game 3, they could overload LeBron James. Even if it's poor strategy and the Heat win, and someone like Haslem has 20+, take LeBron out of his comfort zone, harass and frustrate him.
Easier said than done.

thaskalos
05-08-2013, 09:19 PM
If Rose does not play in game 3 after a shellacking like this...then he deserves to be shot.

magwell
05-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Heat needed the first game, now its like Orb running down the stretch winning easy and galloping out strong ......;)

Valuist
05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
I think they may as well just tank game 2 and focus their energy on Game 3 at the UC. No way the Heat drop the first 2 at home; don't fly Deng down there. Get him ready for game 3. I doubt we see Hinrich at all this series. And maybe Rose can contribute 15 minutes.

I would say a 40 point loss was following my directions pretty good. And they also had 6 technical and two ejections, so they can get pissed off for Game 3.

Robert Fischer
05-09-2013, 11:32 AM
I would say a 40 point loss was following my directions pretty good. And they also had 6 technical and two ejections, so they can get pissed off for Game 3.

Good call. I'm going with your zig-zag theory.
Even pointing to game 3, Bulls are a significant long shot.

cj's dad
05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Is Rose still being paid ? If he is, then the Bulls mgmt. is partly to blame. In every other job I can think of, once you are cleared to return to work, refusal to do so means no pay and possibly termination.

cj
05-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Yes, he is still being paid.

I can see both sides of it, but if he doesn't think he is ready, I don't think you can make him play. The Bulls are not going to take a chance on forcing his hand and maybe losing their franchise player over this. Whether he'll ever be that good again, I don't know. He will have missed the better part of two years when he returns.

thaskalos
05-10-2013, 07:32 PM
You cannot play your normal game when you are overwhelmed by the fear of getting hurt again.

He'll never be the same again...IMO.

You are either a true warrior...or you are not.

Valuist
05-10-2013, 11:50 PM
They probably get drilled in 5 now. I thought they had a realistic chance of winning game 3, but I was hoping Deng would be back. As for Rose, part of the therapy IS playing, so he's not listening to the doctors. If I was a teammate, I would be furious with him.

Robert Fischer
05-17-2013, 10:44 AM
oh no :lol:

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2010/11/michael-jordan-statue.jpg

http://chicagosidesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/derrick_rose_statue_chicagoside.jpg

Valuist
05-17-2013, 11:08 AM
You cannot play your normal game when you are overwhelmed by the fear of getting hurt again.

He'll never be the same again...IMO.

You are either a true warrior...or you are not.

I hope that's not the case. We've seen baseball players get beaned and were never the same again but I can't think of too many athletes who were ineffective because they were afraid of re-injuring a knee, or arm or whatever. There's been guys who blew out their knee and weren't the same again, but because the knee wasn't healed, or the surgery wasn't great. Now the procedure is so effective, you have a guy like Adrian Peterson come back better than ever.

Striker
05-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Is Rose still being paid ? If he is, then the Bulls mgmt. is partly to blame. In every other job I can think of, once you are cleared to return to work, refusal to do so means no pay and possibly termination.
Rose is the 7th highest paid athlete when you factor in salary and endorsements on a yearly basis--

1)Floyd Mayweather--$90mil total--$90mil salary--$0 endorsements
2)LeBron James------$56.5mil total--$17.5mil salary--$39 mil endorsements
3)Drew Brees--$47.8 mil total--$40mil salary--$7.8 mil endorsments
4)Kobe Bryant--$46.85mil total--$27.85mil salary--$19mil endorsements
5)Tiger Woods--$40.8mil total--$7.8mil salary--$33mil endorsements
6)Phil Mickelson--$39.5mil total--$3.5mil salary--$36mil endorsements
7)Derrick Rose--$33.4mil total--$16.4mil salary--$17mil endorsements
8)Peyton Manning--$31mil total--$18mil salary--$13mil endorsements
9)Alex Rodriguez--$29.9mil total--$29mil salary--$900k endorsements
10)Zack Greinke--$29.02mil total--$29mil salary--$20k endorsements

Stillriledup
05-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Rose is the 7th highest paid athlete when you factor in salary and endorsements on a yearly basis--

1)Floyd Mayweather--$90mil total--$90mil salary--$0 endorsements
2)LeBron James------$56.5mil total--$17.5mil salary--$39 mil endorsements
3)Drew Brees--$47.8 mil total--$40mil salary--$7.8 mil endorsments
4)Kobe Bryant--$46.85mil total--$27.85mil salary--$19mil endorsements
5)Tiger Woods--$40.8mil total--$7.8mil salary--$33mil endorsements
6)Phil Mickelson--$39.5mil total--$3.5mil salary--$36mil endorsements
7)Derrick Rose--$33.4mil total--$16.4mil salary--$17mil endorsements
8)Peyton Manning--$31mil total--$18mil salary--$13mil endorsements
9)Alex Rodriguez--$29.9mil total--$29mil salary--$900k endorsements
10)Zack Greinke--$29.02mil total--$29mil salary--$20k endorsements

Rose should endorse Depends undergarments....and his catch phrase can be "when people as me if i'm going to play, i say "it depends" :D