View Full Version : Golden Soul

Smarty Cide
05-04-2013, 09:41 PM
What did we miss on this horse?

Greyfox
05-04-2013, 09:46 PM
What did we miss on this horse?

For starters:
1. Last time out ran 5 wide on first turn and 8 wide on second to earn Beyer 85. Do the math as to what a better trip might have given.

2. profited from taking the rail on Churchill's wet track ahead of C Borel and got an ideal run. Not sure why he came off the rail in the last 200 yards.

ArlJim78
05-04-2013, 09:51 PM
there were indications that the LA derby was a strong prep (Departing and Palace Malice), so it wasn't hard to think that he would be around.
sadly for me I didn't use him any higher than third.

Smarty Cide
05-04-2013, 09:53 PM
think he ever hits the board again?

ArlJim78
05-04-2013, 09:57 PM
why not? he has a win and three seconds from 6 starts. why wouldn't he be able to hit the board again?

this horse has not run a really bad race.

johnhannibalsmith
05-04-2013, 10:04 PM
He may or may not be quite as good as many of those which he outran today, but he got a beautiful trip and a great ride in a race where many simply didn't. I'm not sure what he goes on to do in the future, but he was ready to run a big one today and couldn't have had things go much, if any better for him all the way around the track.

Tall One
05-04-2013, 10:14 PM

why not..still eligible for N2L...... :faint:

parlay
05-04-2013, 10:19 PM
i wont red board , i bet him because he was walking the
best in the PP. i pitched Goldencents because he wasnt walking
the way he did in the PP of his last start.
Golden Soul was the closer type i was looking to use, his appearance
sealed the deal

CincyHorseplayer
05-05-2013, 04:55 AM
I think we all burnt our brains out on white and black matter that held weight.We venture into this gray matter,as much as it has affected the big picture,we might all lose our minds.This jewel of insight is for the individual that came across it's path and saw the potential.If that's you hallelujia!I'm not going to scold you for not putting it in the selections!I never go there!

Rod

wiffleball whizz
05-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Watching the replay golden soul was opening up for 2nd.....besides orb nobody was closing on him.....great race!!!!!

jerry-g
05-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Horse turned in perfect 5f and 6f wo's. Av 12 secs per furlong.
Horse gained 8L on the turn last out while 5 wide. The kicker...
its very hard to do to go that wide and still make up ground.
Sign of a strong intended horse.

CincyHorseplayer
05-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Watching the replay golden soul was opening up for 2nd.....besides orb nobody was closing on him.....great race!!!!!

Whiff I have to go with a Mr T quote and that's "Pain" baby!

JustRalph
05-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Lots of Steve Byk listeners giving him kudos on twitter for touting the horse. I heard some of it, but punched the all button in the 2nd spot. He did look great in the paddock.

They need to change this thing to 14 posts.......Make it a little cheaper :lol:

BIG49010
05-05-2013, 07:57 PM
I think if you go back and listen to the DRF workout reports, he might have said include him on your ticket he is doing well?

Robert Fischer
05-05-2013, 08:46 PM
I think he simply made the most of a great trip.

He was a horse who I liked when he first stepped up in class for the preps, but he didn't look like he wanted to put a whole race together. He had some flashes where he did a little bit of running. His final prep (La.Derby) was a high note, coming into the Derby, and Borel actually put a pretty good tune-up into him that day.

He'll probably be an underlay if he goes to the Preakness, but then again he could be in pretty good form now.

GatetoWire
05-05-2013, 08:57 PM
When I first heard Sid Fernando touting Golden Soul on Steve Byk's show I thought he was insane but I went back and watched all his previous races and found some hidden form.
Biggest reason he hit the board. Breeding. One of the few in the race bred on the top and the bottom for distance.
I think he will be a big factor in the Belmont if he keeps improving

Valuist
05-05-2013, 09:28 PM
This is a perfect example of a longshot clunking up for second. At no point was he ever in contention to win the race. He ended up finishing a length ahead of Normandy Invasion; but NI ran a FAR superior race.

Golden Soul likely to be overbet next time out. The time to have him was in the Derby, as a clunk up 2nd.

JackS
05-05-2013, 11:24 PM
On my figs, I had him just ahead of the predicted last place finisher which was Black Onyx. With the scratch of Black Onyx, the new predicted last place finisher was Golden Soul. Had to throw a few out and he was the first to go. Also tossed Revolution but soley on the short odds that I didn't think he deserved. My best ticket 1st & 4th.

rastajenk
05-06-2013, 07:08 AM
I think he simply made the most of a great trip.I agree completely with this. I included him in combination with the other inside come-from-behinders to do exactly what they did, keep on running when most of the rest had used up their best shots. I understand that's not how many Derbies are won, but this one really set up that way. I also liked the O/T/J combination for a Churchill race, regardless of the magnitude.

I didn't have him on a ticket with Orbie, though, so I got nothing to show for my redboarding. Call it pink-boarding or something, post-touting a near miss. :blush:

Going forward, though, I think it will depend on each individual event as to whether he deserves greater respect. I wouldn't set the bar too high for him. He did good when it mattered, but it probably won't happen regularly.

Valuist
05-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Its also possible that Golden Soul just moves forward on a sloppy track.

Waquoit
05-06-2013, 08:36 AM
.. but NI ran a FAR superior race.

Believe that if you want, but it seems to me that NI wanted no part of a mile and a quarter but Golden Soul did. That's why I had him in the mix. A horse on the improve that could go the distance (Sadlers Wells) after all the speed fell apart. My highest paying exacta ever.

Valuist
05-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Believe that if you want, but it seems to me that NI wanted no part of a mile and a quarter but Golden Soul did. That's why I had him in the mix. A horse on the improve that could go the distance (Sadlers Wells) after all the speed fell apart. My highest paying exacta ever.

I will believe it. Normandy Invasion was clearly 2nd best on Saturday. Be thankful you cashed. Castellano gave NI a very bad ride, rushing him from 12th to the lead. If Invasion faces off with Golden Soul again, I have little doubt he will turn the tables.

CincyHorseplayer
05-09-2013, 01:18 AM
When I first heard Sid Fernando touting Golden Soul on Steve Byk's show I thought he was insane but I went back and watched all his previous races and found some hidden form.
Biggest reason he hit the board. Breeding. One of the few in the race bred on the top and the bottom for distance.
I think he will be a big factor in the Belmont if he keeps improving

I remembered your post from the other day and was going through the whole derby day tonight.Prederby I planned on using any horse on my tickets who had 1-1 or 1-2 sire/damsire stamina indexes.In this race there were only 3 horses who fit that bill in Orb,Palace Malice,and Golden Soul.I had failed to do the ratings for the last 2 derby entrants on GS and Giant Finish.I felt sick writing them down,absolutely sick.Oh well!!:bang:

antigeekess
05-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Early PPs even had him at 100-1, which I knew was nuts and told a coworker so. He was clearly moving forward and no reason he couldn't be right there at 1-1/4. Just wish I'd nailed that trifecta!

The Preakness should be bloody interesting.

HPFridays
05-09-2013, 10:45 PM
I remembered your post from the other day and was going through the whole derby day tonight.Prederby I planned on using any horse on my tickets who had 1-1 or 1-2 sire/damsire stamina indexes.In this race there were only 3 horses who fit that bill in Orb,Palace Malice,and Golden Soul.I had failed to do the ratings for the last 2 derby entrants on GS and Giant Finish.I felt sick writing them down,absolutely sick.Oh well!!:bang:

Where do you go to find sire/damsire stamina index #'s?

CincyHorseplayer
05-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Where do you go to find sire/damsire stamina index #'s?

You can look around the site but here are the books by Helm,enjoy!

http://www.proghandicap.com/products-mikehelm.cfm

HPFridays
05-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Appreciate it, thanks Cincy!

pondman
05-10-2013, 01:14 PM
S*** happens in racing. Horses out of place. Jockey watching other horses. Nobody thought he could do it and he snuck in. Fourteen days later everything will be different. Might be dry. Some horse will love it, some won't. Jockeys watching other horses. Some will be marked for a pinch and a wedge. Others will be ignored. He'll be taken more serious next time. Probably be over bet. Probably will bounce.

CincyHorseplayer
05-10-2013, 03:26 PM
S*** happens in racing. Horses out of place. Jockey watching other horses. Nobody thought he could do it and he snuck in. Fourteen days later everything will be different. Might be dry. Some horse will love it, some won't. Jockeys watching other horses. Some will be marked for a pinch and a wedge. Others will be ignored. He'll be taken more serious next time. Probably be over bet. Probably will bounce.

I'm guessing these horses totally smoked whomever you had in the derby because you've been ranting liked someone pi$sed in your cornflakes in every thread,ever since!:cool:

JustRalph
09-19-2013, 01:21 AM

Ran 9th today at Kentucky Downs in 1.5 mile Turf Allowance. Bet down to 2-1

9th about 8L back.

Hoofless_Wonder
09-19-2013, 03:37 AM
He obviously didn't fire today on the turf at KY Downs, but at least he was placed in the right level of race (nw1x), versus his 9th place finish in the Belmont, his 7th place finish in the Haskell, and his 8th place finish in the Travers.

I thought he might like the turf a bit more than he showed today, though I bet against him (2nd with Gun Point).

Looks like he needs a closing dirt surface, or maybe he'd like the AW tracks like AP, Keeneland or Woodbine.

Valuist
09-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Unless he gets a supersonic pace over a sloppy track, maybe not. Wasn't a bad call by you a few months back.

letswastemoney
09-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Ice Box reincarnated.

Valuist
09-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Ice Box reincarnated.

Excellent analogy. Even similar running styles and slop helped. But didn't Ice Box run a big race in the Florida Derby before the Derby? He at least had that on his resume.

To answer the original poster's question, you can't catch them all. Sometimes after the fact you see something, and you feel like you should've had it, or at least made a case for it. So 4.5 months later, I don't feel bad that I didn't use Golden Soul on my tickets.