PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to DQ a derby winner?!?!?

wiffleball whizz
05-04-2013, 04:35 AM
Had a discussion at work tonite about the derby and somebody brought up a scenario of a horse getting taken down....

What infraction would result in a dq cuz it would be terrible for racing...would a horse crossing over in the stretch first time time around...

Jockey hitting another horse by accident with whip?

I'm assuming the last thing stewards would want is to get involved with is making a call involving a dq

What do u guys think it would take::::they say real quiet would have been taken down had he not lost that photo....

Stillriledup
05-04-2013, 04:38 AM
I cant imagine RQ would have been DQd...its easier to say after the fact, but could you imagine people thinking they saw a TC winner and then they didnt?

With 100k people in attendance, most of the drunk, you gonna DQ the triple crown winner and actually risk a riot?

Im thinking no.

Stillriledup
05-04-2013, 04:45 AM
Pioneer of the Nile bumping Musket Man. Probably should have come down.

wiffleball whizz
05-04-2013, 07:46 AM
I cant imagine RQ would have been DQd...its easier to say after the fact, but could you imagine people thinking they saw a TC winner and then they didnt?

With 100k people in attendance, most of the drunk, you gonna DQ the triple crown winner and actually risk a riot?

Im thinking no.

Your right it is easy to say once it's over....I'm with you don't think he would have come down...on a side note everytime I see then 2 hit the wire I still don't think he got there in time

wiffleball whizz
05-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Pioneer of the Nile bumping Musket Man. Probably should have come down.

I remember that....imagine if mine that bird didn't explode late and musket man POTN and somebody else banging the whole lane they may have had to dq there....but I really think the judges would come up with every story in book to not dq a horse in the derby especially for win

bks
05-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Real Quiet would have come down. It would have been a huge positive moment for the sport: in front of a world convinced that horse racing is at least semi-corrupt, and in which horse racing seemingly had everything to gain by leaving RQ up, the stewards take RQ down because (as everyone saw in the head-on shot) it was the right thing to do.

No way to prove it, but had that actually occurred, I think the game would be marginally more popular today.

keithw84
05-04-2013, 08:47 AM
At what point in the Belmont did Real Quiet interfere with someone? I don't remember seeing him bump anyone.

keithw84
05-04-2013, 11:19 AM
At what point in the Belmont did Real Quiet interfere with someone? I don't remember seeing him bump anyone.

Never mind... just read some of the articles from '98. I didn't remember him brushing Victory Gallop down the stretch.

Tom
05-04-2013, 11:30 AM

He interfered with my trifecta! :(

wiffleball whizz
05-04-2013, 12:30 PM

I'd like to know at what point did victory gallop go past real quiet....seen the photo and the finish 700 times in my life and I still don't think he went by

andtheyreoff
05-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Drugs.

http://static.kentuckyderby.com/sites/kentuckyderby.com/files/charts/1968.pdf

dilanesp
05-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Especially if the second place horse is owned by bluebloods and the winner isn't.

johnhannibalsmith
05-04-2013, 02:27 PM
I'd like to know at what point did victory gallop go past real quiet....seen the photo and the finish 700 times in my life and I still don't think he went by

Huh? If you've seen the photo 700 times, what is the mystery?

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article795894.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Victory+Gallop+(bottom)+beats+Real+Quiet+by+a+nose +in+a+photo+finish+to+win+the+2009+Belmont+Stakes+ at+Belmont+Park,+New+York

wiffleball whizz
05-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Huh? If you've seen the photo 700 times, what is the mystery?

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article795894.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Victory+Gallop+(bottom)+beats+Real+Quiet+by+a+nose +in+a+photo+finish+to+win+the+2009+Belmont+Stakes+ at+Belmont+Park,+New+York

Everytime I watch the race live i just don't see VG getting nose down first....to this day baffert doesn't see it either

Saratoga_Mike
05-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Everytime I watch the race live i just don't see VG getting nose down first....to this day baffert doesn't see it either

"I'm glad the stewards didn't have to make a decision," said Bob Baffert, trainer of Real Quiet, who thought he knew what the decision would have been.

Baffert said he told dejected jockey Kent Desormeaux, "It would have been worse if you had won and your number had been taken down."

wiffleball whizz
05-04-2013, 10:59 PM
"I'm glad the stewards didn't have to make a decision," said Bob Baffert, trainer of Real Quiet, who thought he knew what the decision would have been.

Baffert said he told dejected jockey Kent Desormeaux, "It would have been worse if you had won and your number had been taken down."

Would have really been a sight to see.....I remember the shot abc had of the stewards room right after they hit the wire....

Those stewards would have been on every morning show possible....

Textbook example of a horse stopping and one coming

Stillriledup
11-03-2014, 02:29 AM

Could you imagine disqualifying a triple crown winner trained by Bob Baffert.

BLASPHEMY!!

Now in retrospect, with the events that have transpired in the last 36 hours, this seems sheer folly that this horse would have come down had he won.

Although, maybe Baffert isn't teflon in NY, so that would have been a factor.

iceknight
11-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Could you imagine disqualifying a triple crown winner trained by Bob Baffert.

BLASPHEMY!!

Now in retrospect, with the events that have transpired in the last 36 hours, this seems sheer folly that this horse would have come down had he won.

Although, maybe Baffert isn't teflon in NY, so that would have been a factor.Back then baffert was just making his mark...

Wiff, As far as (accidentally) whipping the other horse.. didnt that happen in a preakness with the derby winning filly ? 1980?

taxicab
11-13-2014, 12:08 AM
What if Alysheba would of gone down in the 1987 Derby....
Bet Twice........DQ.
Yes or No ?

The other what if.
Afleet Alex in the Preakness.
Does Scrappy-T get DQed if Alex goes down ?

http://youtu.be/h1Q5XeyJG9k

http://youtu.be/rkB67uAKFUE

burnsy
11-16-2014, 10:45 AM
The real question is....If none of these horses get called in a big race. During your average, every day race. Why do some get taken down for breathing down the neck of another horse? The derby has incidents almost every year.....no call. The slightest thing in an average race draws all kinds of attention. A foul is a foul...depending on which race it is? Officiating in horse racing is worse than every other professional sport combined. Every other sport has invested in "getting it right." Even baseball came around and their games take 2 years. Football has had problems because they have to protect the players heads and they want high scores. But they are still light years ahead of racing. There can be a lot of races with no calls. But when there is one to be made, you have to hope and pray your numbers are not in the mix. Because you can almost count on the call being a farce.....no other sport comes close. This is even worse because almost every person watching has bet (invested) in the race. Common sense says it should have the best officiating...... :confused:

wiffleball whizz
11-16-2014, 11:05 AM
What if Alysheba would of gone down in the 1987 Derby....
Bet Twice........DQ.
Yes or No ?

The other what if.
Afleet Alex in the Preakness.
Does Scrappy-T get DQed if Alex goes down ?

http://youtu.be/h1Q5XeyJG9k

http://youtu.be/rkB67uAKFUE

If afleet Alex falls down I would have still been cashing tickets...

Scrappy t gets taken down and then giacomo wins with sun king for 2nd....don't know why but I had giacomo/sun king and afleet Alex with all for $3 and like 170 win on giacomo.....still haunted

Stillriledup
11-16-2014, 04:46 PM
If afleet Alex falls down I would have still been cashing tickets...

Scrappy t gets taken down and then giacomo wins with sun king for 2nd....don't know why but I had giacomo/sun king and afleet Alex with all for $3 and like 170 win on giacomo.....still haunted

If that kid falls off that horse, i make the biggest score of my career with Scrappy T being placed last.

wiffleball whizz
11-16-2014, 05:00 PM
If that kid falls off that horse, i make the biggest score of my career with Scrappy T being placed last.

In retrospect he should have fell....people forget about the guy whipping horse in eye during a Delaware park race.....j rose is scum

PaceAdvantage
11-17-2014, 01:17 PM
In retrospect he should have fell....people forget about the guy whipping horse in eye during a Delaware park raceon purpose?