PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Golden Soul, Normandy Invasion, Mylute, and Giant Finish

cordep17
05-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Golden Soul
Not a bad pony, but also not in the league of many of these horses. He gets out the gate a bit slow in comparison to the other runners. The LA derby had a lot of speed, and closer types were the only ones in the money. He finished fourth, but was beaten handily by Mylute and Revolutionary. Unlike some in this race, he hasn't had any layoffs, so I feel confident that we have seen everything there is to see. He is a horse that can save some in the tank, but will never have the closing speed to win a race with such quality closers. If closers are coming in on the eleventh race, he may be in the top half, but other closers in this one are much better.
Normandy Invasion
As a two year old, he lost his first by 6, but it is excusable. Being that he was a first time starter, he wasn't in the same kind of form that he is now. He got the feel for racing after breaking slow then contending for the pace, which isn't what he is good at. In the Remsen, he was able to close on a slow pace and barely lost to fellow Derby contestent, Overanalyze.
In his last three races, all of which have been Graded, he has combined to lose by 1 3/4 lengths. Either the jockey is gunning too late, or this horse isn't all that into winning. Still though, he has been very close despite some slow paces that he has had to deal with, and the increase in distance should help him. He will definately make it into my exotics.
Mylute
To me, it looks like he is finally catching his stride. He has only raced twice as a three year old, but they have both been long distance tries in which he has been a serious contender. In the LA derby, he was closing like a freight train at the end. I think there is a value play here since he still has room to improve this year. His best speed figures have come in the two starts he has raced in this year, so he is clearly a new horse. Room to improve in his third start makes him a serious contender. He will also find his way into my exotics.
Giant Finish
He has shown that he can be an influence on the pace. He breaks well, and he doesn't feel challenged when he is on or near the lead. He is similar to Game On Dude in this way; He is a downhill runner. He hasn't had the best speed figures, but in my opinion, that only counts for so much. With a clean trip, there is nothing to say that he will dwilt. It is a bit curious that he hasn't had any timed works on the Churchill surface. He may be at the back of my Super.

horses4courses
05-03-2013, 08:47 PM
No, yes, maybe, no....... ;)

cordep17
05-03-2013, 08:54 PM
No, yes, maybe, no....... ;)

I think it's: No, yes, yes, maybe

magwell
05-03-2013, 09:45 PM
I think it's: No, yes, yes, maybe I say no, no, no, no, can't see one of them winning this.........

CincyHorseplayer
05-03-2013, 10:42 PM
The pace in the Remsen was faster than the Wood(96 to 77).Normandy has 2 starts this year and ought to put in a good run 3rd off the layoff.

sandpit
05-03-2013, 11:22 PM
No, horrible hanger, superfecta filler, and best candidate for last place

CincyHorseplayer
05-04-2013, 04:23 AM
No, horrible hanger, superfecta filler, and best candidate for last place

Then Verrazano is a hanger too.After a 77 pace and being on the lead he should have drawn off,instead he let the guy you say is a hanger within a length.