PDA

View Full Version : Daily doubles

Tom
04-14-2001, 10:40 AM
I never hear anything about daily doubles anymore-everything is exacta, picke-3, triples,,,,,
Does anyone play the double anymore?
What are you strategies for the double.
One way I used to play it was to take the probable payoffs after the first leg is run and make an odds line for the second leg then play overlays. I haven't done this in a while and Iwonder if it still has value.
It used to be a a good lunch hour bet everyday, but with early post times, that is hard to do now. Used to be 2PM posts, now, 12:30 is too early.

karlskorner
04-14-2001, 11:04 AM
Tom:

How about the "Chinese Double" ?

Put the DD payoffs next to the odds for the 2nd race.
Divide the payoff by the MLO of the 2nd race.

DD payoff $60.00
MLO 5
Divide =12

Taught to me by an old time trainer, who came to the track everyday with his wife, made 3 bets, Win on the lowest #, "boxed" the lowest 3 for Perfecta and Tri.
Collected his money and went home

Karl

hdcper
04-14-2001, 11:20 AM
Tom and Everyone,

Interesting you would bring up playing the double. Noticed an interesting payoff yesterday in the double at Mountaineer Park in the first and second races.

The win of the first was an odds on favorite and the winner of the second was a 45 to 1 shot. The win price in the second was $93.20 and the double paid only $46.80 for the same $2 bet!!!!

Appears small pools and the likelihood of chalk players wheeling the favorite in the first had a big impact.

In closing, this strongly suggests the importance of monitoring double payoffs and what you tend to expect will happen in the second leg.

Hdcper

Lefty
04-14-2001, 12:17 PM
You're right. And to think when I started betting at ELP
back in 50's DD only exotic around. Wow.