PDA

View Full Version : A Very Dangerous Road...

boxcar
05-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Floridians offered $1 million to snitch on citizens who 'hate government'

The title is misleading. I don't see in the article itself where it stated that people would be getting snitch rewards. Perhaps the title was worded like it is to catch more readers' attention to the real issue, which is that the county would apparently be relying upon phone tips from people about any fellow citizen who spoke ill of the government. This is scary stuff.

I don't like the foundational assumption, for example, that people who distrust or speak negatively of their government are likely to act violently against the government.

And just what kind of "help" would be given to people who openly distrust and speak negatively against government? Would they be whisked away to some mental institution for observation for an unspecified period of time, and then what....brainwashed into thinking differently about government? Or what happens if a law-abiding, disenchanted citizen doesn't want any help? Then what? Do those people get arrested? For what? "Hate speech" against the government?

I can also see this as another back door way into confiscating guns of otherwise law-abiding citizens. That's the first thing that will be checked with disgruntled citizens.

Bradshaw said he hopes his program will be copied by law enforcement agencies across the United States. The sheriff's goal won’t be to arrest troubled people but to get them help before there’s violence. However, innocent civilians could be harassed for expressing displeasure at the Obama administration and the bigger role of government being advanced by Washington politicians.

http://www.examiner.com/article/floridians-offered-1-million-to-snitch-on-citizens-who-hate-government

Boxcar

Robert Fischer
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
good post.

TJDave
05-02-2013, 03:07 PM
I snitch on everybody. It's nice to know I might finally get rewarded. ;)

Tom
05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
They did this in Germany in the 30's - worked well for them.

ArlJim78
05-02-2013, 05:06 PM
It's says the goal is to avoid crime. I'd like to see the supporting statistics and methods they used to determine that their crime issues are related to people who hate government.
I'd have to think once word of this becomes widely known they'll either be sued or shamed into repealing it. this is absolutely Orwellian

ArlJim78
05-02-2013, 05:36 PM
what kind of help is the government going to provide anyway, to these people once they've identified them as potential threats?
counseling, beatings, electroshock therapy?

TJDave
05-02-2013, 05:43 PM
what kind of help is the government going to provide anyway, to these people once they've identified them as potential threats?
counseling, beatings, electroshock therapy?

Drones, silly...

ArlJim78
05-02-2013, 05:48 PM
nothing gets people in the mood to love government better than a good old fashioned Orwellian snitch and surveillance program.

Ocala Mike
05-02-2013, 06:25 PM
It's Palm Beach County, people. They're still counting butterfly ballots from the 2000 election, so I'm cutting them some slack.

Geez, if they wanted a file on people that hate government, all they'd have to do is get the list of registered R's from the Board of Elections.

ArlJim78
05-20-2013, 09:27 PM
vetoed by the governor (http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/05/20/fla-gov-scott-vetoes-sheriffs-1-million-snitch-on-your-neighbor-program-70849).

classhandicapper
05-21-2013, 07:47 PM
These idiots don't even understand this whole attitude towards people that express disapproval towards some of the actions of their government IS a contributing factor to why people hate the government.

Tom
05-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Is you don't hate the government, you are nuts of one of them.
ALL governments are bad. No exceptions. All need to be changed every few decades. We are long overdue - ours smells like old fish in the sun. and is nowhere near as tasty.