PDA

View Full Version : AsD Parlay Challenge Registration and Rules Acknowledgement

Track Collector
05-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Hello prospective contest players,

Please read the contest rules listed below completely, then complete the poll shown above when you are ready to register. The poll will only allow you to "vote" one time, so if you have any questions, never "vote" the No option, but first seek an improved understanding by asking questions. Once satisfied, you can come back and "vote" Yes.

OBJECTIVE

1. To accumulate the highest Bankroll thru successful plays made within a single parlay.

RULES

1. A one-time registration and rules acknowledgement is a prerequisite for participation in this contest. (See associated poll above.). Subject requirement must be completed before a given day's selections are scored, otherwise those selections will be ignored and not scored. To the right of each poll option you will find a number highlighted in blue. Clicking on this number will show you an alphabetical listing of those who have "voted" for that option. If your name appears on the listing for the "YES" option, you are properly registered and ready for contest participation. You can register and enter the contest at any time, provided there is enough time for you to meet all the contest eligibility requirements.

2. This is an individual contest, with a limit of 1 entry per person.

3. This contest is open 7 days a week, and will run from 05/17/2013 thru and including 07/01/2013.

4. With the exception of Los Alamitos, selections can be made on any thoroughbred race whose track entries and results are listed under the Daily Racing Form site (www.drf.com (http://www.drf.com)).

5. Acceptable wager types are limited to Win, Place, or Show. Should a player fail to indicate the wager type, it will be assumed to be for Win.

6. Plays are limited to 1 wagering entity per race. A player is also limited to a maximum of 3 plays per day. If a play results in "no-action" (i.e. Scratched horse, cancelled race, no show wagering offered when the player's selection specifies a show wager, etc.), the player may post a replacement selection for another track and/or horse.

7. When beginning each new parlay, the wagering amount will be $5. When a player begins his/her very first contest parlay, they will be given $5, which will be taken back at the end of the contest. All subsequent plays within the original parlay sequence will have a wager amount of $5 plus the accumulation of profits (truncated down to the nearest whole dollar). The breakage, or amount left over after truncation, will be kept separate. Breakage amounts will continue to accumulate, and as whole dollar amounts are reached, they will be added to the next wager amount of a continuing parlay. Whenever a parlay ends, either from a losing selection or from a player's decision to bank, the left over breakage will be added to the player's bank. (All this is not as complicated as it sounds, especially if you review the scoring example in the next post.).

8. A player may post their plays one race at a time, or all at once (up to a maximum total of 3 per day). Plays should be listed, and will be scored, in order of the race's SCHEDULED or listed post time, regardless of when the races ACTUALLY go off. (This eliminates a lot of stress at the scorer's end.).

9. All plays must be made 1 minute or more prior to the race's actual off time. A player may change or even cancel their selection at any time, provided the above restriction is met. Should a selection posting not meet the above, it shall be handled as follows:
-- If the selection is a winning one --> The selection becomes "no-action".
-- If the selection is not a winning one --> The selection is scored as a loss.

Should a player edit one of their postings, remember that it will then reflect two different timestamps....one for the original posting and the other one for the "edited" posting. Both timestamps must meet the 1-minute or more requirement above. Players are responsible for the accuracy of their own timestamp as set in the user profile.

10. When posting a play, it is highly recommended that in addition to the saddlecloth number, you indicate the horse's name. When the two pieces of information differ, the horse's name shall take precedence. When an entry is involved, you may choose to take the entire entry, or only part of the entry. In either case, be sure to specify that your selection involves and entry. If you only specify part of the entry, and THAT part ends up scratching out, scoring will be as follows:
-- If the remaining portion of the entry ends up meeting your parlay condition, you will be credited with a successful parlay.
-- If the remaining portion of the entry does not end up meeting your parlay condition, your selection will be scored as "no-action".

Again, please be very clear to indicate IF your selection involves an entry, and what parts of the entry you want, including their name(s).

11. A daily selection thread will be created for the purpose of capturing the contest plays for that specific day. The thread title will clearly specify the date and day of week. Players have the responsibility for posting under the correct, applicable thread. Selections which do not end up under the correct thread will not be scored.

12. Once a player reaches 3 consecutive winning plays, they may choose to bank the winnings, or continue the parlay. Should they choose to "bank it", all winnings and accumulated breakages, minus $5 required to start the next parlay, will be added to their bank. Should they lose their next selection, all accumulated winnings in THAT parlay will be lost, and only left over breakage will be added to their bank. To start the next new parlay, $5 will be deducted from the player's bank. (A scoring example can be found in the next post.). VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Players are solely responsible for advising when they want to bank any winnings. When a player has reached a position where they have a banking option, and they post another selection without indicating the desire to bank first, it will be interpreted that they want the parlay to continue.

13. All in-play parlays will be cashed out at the end of the contest.

14. To be eligible for all contests and awards, a player must complete the following over the duration of the contest:
-- Make selections on AT LEAST 20 races from Assiniboia Downs.
-- Make selections on AT LEAST 30 total races (including those from Assiniboia Downs).

These are minimum requirements, so you may choose to play more.

15. The contest administration shall have final say on any scoring/rules issues.

16. While reasonable efforts will be made to provide accurate and timely daily scoring updates, the player is ultimately responsible for knowing the value and status of any on-going parlay. Thus the player is their own best advocate when it comes to making the next let-it-ride or bank decisions. (What does this really mean? Don't come back and say "You didn't have the most current standing sheet up, so I didn't know my starting parlay value for the day was $355. Had I known that, I would have banked instead of continuing on with my parlay".). ;)

17. Miscellaneous Notes (particularly for those new to this contest format):
-- When posting your play, there is never a need to list the parlay wagering amount. It will be calculated automatically for you.
-- Negative value banks, while not your objective, are not uncommon.

Good Skill to everyone!!

Chris

Track Collector
05-02-2013, 12:58 AM
This post includes some scoring examples for the AsD Parlay Challenge Contest.

Play#1 Initial wagering amount = $5.00
Selection --> Aqueduct race 1, #2 to Show
Result --> Horse finishes 2nd, paying $3.20 to Show.
Ending parlay value becomes $5.00 * ($3.20/2) = $8.00

Play#2 Wagering amount = $8.00
Selection --> Beulah race 5, #7 to Place
Result --> Horse finishes 2nd, paying $6.70 to Place
Ending parlay value becomes $8.00 * ($6.70/2) = $26.80

Play#3 Wagering amount = $26.00. (Breakage of $0.80 is set aside)
Selection --> Indiana Downs race 3, #1 to Show
Result --> Horse wins, paying $2.60 to Show
Ending parlay value become $26.00 * ($2.60/2) = $33.80 + previous set aside breakage amount of $0.80 = $34.60

With 3 consecutive successful plays, the player now has the option to bank his/her winnings, or continue this parlay with another play.

If at this point the player "Banks" their winnings, the bank amount will be $34.60 minus $5.00 required to start their next new parlay = $29.60.

Let's say instead they choose to let this parlay ride, with another play attempt.....

Play#4 Wagering amount = $34.00. (Breakage of $0.60 set aside)
Selection --> Aqueduct race 1, #6 to Place
Result --> Horse finishes 1st, paying $2.30 to Place
Ending parlay value becomes $34.00 * ($2.30/2) = $39.10 + held aside breakage amount of $0.60 = $39.70

Again, the player has a bank it or let it ride decision.

Should they choose to bank it, the banked amount would be $39.70 minus $5.00 required to start the next new parlay = $34.70.

Our brave player decides to let it ride once more by continuing the existing parlay with another play:

Play#5 Wagering amount = $39.00 (with $0.70 in breakage held aside)
Selection --> Santa Anita race 7, #5 to Show.
Result --> The horse finishes 4th, which ends the existing parlay string.
He/She loses all winning accumulated in THIS parlay sequence, with the exception of the most-recent held aside breakage amount of $0.70, which is added to our bank. To start the next new parlay, $5.00 is also removed from our bank.

cj
05-17-2013, 10:37 AM
With 3 consecutive successful parlays, the player now has the option to bank his/her winnings, or let it ride with another parlay attempt in this series.

Just so I'm clear on this, "3 consecutive successful parlays" is one day of racing, not three? Are we talking 3 consecutive successful "selections", or three successful "parlays"?

The parlay, to my mind, is a string of wagers, but the example below seems to indicate you can bank after ONE successful parlay.

Jay Trotter
05-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Just so I'm clear on this, "3 consecutive successful parlays" is one day of racing, not three? Are we talking 3 consecutive successful "selections", or three successful "parlays"?

The parlay, to my mind, is a string of wagers, but the example below seems to indicate you can bank after ONE successful parlay.It is 3 consecutive successful plays which form a cashable parlay. Once you get to 3 you can Bank your profits or continue to let it ride. :ThmbUp:

cj
05-17-2013, 11:20 AM
It is 3 consecutive successful plays which form a cashable parlay. Once you get to 3 you can Bank your profits or continue to let it ride. :ThmbUp:

Sorry to be a pain...can the three plays be across two days? Like, selection one for today loses, but the next two win, can I bank if Selection 1 wins tomorrow?

Track Collector
05-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Sorry to be a pain...can the three plays be across two days? Like, selection one for today loses, but the next two win, can I bank if Selection 1 wins tomorrow?

Yes.

At any time after a player achieves at least 3 consecutive winning plays, they have the option to bank or continue on. Subject winning plays are often achieved over multiple contest days, and they do not have to be on adjoining days. (In other words, a player could make a one play on a Friday, skip Saturday and Sunday completely, make another play on Monday, skip Tuesday, then make one more play on Wednesday. If each of the single plays on the Friday, Monday, and Wednesday were winning ones, the player could then choose to bank, or continue on one race at a time until then either bank or have a loosing play.).

Thanks cj for your input. I can now see from the rules wording some of the confusion that might arise, especially with those new to this contest. As a result, I'm going back and "improve" the wording. The essence and interpretation of the rules is not being changed. :)

Chris

Jay Trotter
05-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Just as a note to the curious ones.....

The contest was designed so handicappers could play at their own pace. So, Player 1 plays minimally with a selection here and there. Player 2 likes action and posts 3 plays every day. Just make sure you get in 30 plays of which 20 are at ASD before the contest is over to qualify for prizes and points.

As an FYI...the records are TurfRuler with 3 Win Plays to hit $2,031.45 and Hoof Hearted with 21 Show Plays (very conservative) for $342.20. The 21 play record may have been broken if I recall correctly.

So, you can go big and quick or small and slow or mix it up with a bit of both. It's all up to you which is why it is such a great contest. :ThmbUp: I would reccomend players go to last years contest thread and follow a player or two as they posted each day.

dogkatcher
05-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Let's say you hit your first 3 plays (parlay #1) may you continue on the same day trying to extend your streak to as many races as desired or are 3 races maximum for one calendar day? I realize the rules say 3 plays maximum, are those (3 plays) races or $5 parlay wagers?

I could lose on the 3rd leg of my parlay, am I done for the day or may I start parlay #2 even though I have played 3 races?

Many senior moments here, thanks for all you guys do here at PA.

p.s. Jay, couldn't go back to last years posts.

cj
05-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Let's say you hit your first 3 plays (parlay #1) may you continue on the same day trying to extend your streak to as many races as desired or are 3 races maximum for one calendar day? I realize the rules say 3 plays maximum, are those (3 plays) races or $5 parlay wagers?

I could lose on the 3rd leg of my parlay, am I done for the day or may I start parlay #2 even though I have played 3 races?

Many senior moments here, thanks for all you guys do here at PA.

p.s. Jay, couldn't go back to last years posts.

Pretty sure that is three races, not parlays. I'm also nearly sure you can't start another parlay if you've used your three plays.

2012 Contest Here (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77)

Jay Trotter
05-17-2013, 07:12 PM
The 2012 ASD Parlay Challenge is in a completely seperate forum.
You can see it here (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77)

Players are allowed a maximum of 3 plays per day (or the scorer would be going forever with some players).

Think of the "parlay" as a continuous string of plays. You always start with $5.00 but you're winnings plus the original $5.00 are what you are wagering as you go forward. (otherwise, it really wouldn't be a parlay would it).

If you lose your wager at any given time you just begin again with a new $5.00. Your previous $5.00 (minus accumulated breakage) would be deducted from your bankroll. Bankrolls can go in to the negatives. Basically, a real loser could be deducted $15.00 max every single day of the contest.

You really just have to think of it as playing a real parlay at the track always starting with $5.00 except that you are limited to 3 plays per day.

Trotter:ThmbUp:

iceknight
05-21-2013, 04:04 PM
The 2012 ASD Parlay Challenge is in a completely seperate forum.
You can see it here (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77)

Players are allowed a maximum of 3 plays per day (or the scorer would be going forever with some players).

Trotter:ThmbUp: Are you allowed to join this contest now (although it is a few days late into the event? I have to play 20 races from ASD (not twenty different days, right?)

Jay Trotter
05-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Are you allowed to join this contest now (although it is a few days late into the event? I have to play 20 races from ASD (not twenty different days, right?) You are allowed to join in at any time up as long as you have time to get in your 20 ASD plays and 30 oveall plays, so yes you can still play. Just make sure you complete the Rules Acknowledgement first.

Trotter :ThmbUp:

Track Collector
05-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Are you allowed to join this contest now (although it is a few days late into the event? I have to play 20 races from ASD (not twenty different days, right?)

Hello iceknight,

When you look at the current standings (under the separate Results Thread), you will find in the lower right-hand corner of the excel file a box which indicates the remaining contest days available for both Assiniboia Downs and the entire contest. As of today, there are still 42 contest DAYS, which include 18 AsD DAYS. This means 126 total contest RACES are still available, and 54 AsD RACES available. More than enough time to qualify for prizes and awards.

Welcome aboard!

Chris

iceknight
05-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Hello iceknight,

When you look at the current standings (under the separate Results Thread), you will find in the lower right-hand corner of the excel file a box which indicates the remaining contest days available for both Assiniboia Downs and the entire contest. As of today, there are still 42 contest DAYS, which include 18 AsD DAYS. This means 126 total contest RACES are still available, and 54 AsD RACES available. More than enough time to qualify for prizes and awards.

Welcome aboard!

Chris Thank you guys (both Chris and trotter). I did say yes to the Rules and then posted today (promptly lost 15 I think..as I chose the wrong bets for two of my runners!). yes, I noticed those days, and since ASD is not on all days I will have to squeeze in some nice plays quickly! :)