PDA

View Full Version : Definition of an 'all out duel'.

Stillriledup
04-30-2013, 10:00 PM
So, i'm watching the replay of Talmadge Hill's win on Apr 28th at Belmont in the 5th race and on the far turn, the announcer says she's in an 'all out duel' with a horse named Rapidize. Now, my replay is kind of blurry because the clarity of the NY replays is pretty poor these days, but it didnt look like Talmadge hill was even being asked for her best. The jock appeared to be sitting motionless on her with a big hold while having run in reserve.

My question is this. If two horses are head and head, does that automatically mean there's a 'all out duel'?

I cant imagine a cheap horse like Talmadge Hill can engage in an all out duel and still win. Maybe she wasnt really 'dueling'?

tzipi
04-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Usually if two horses are going at it early and it's decent fractions, he'll say it. Fast fractions usually mean "all out duel" for me.

iceknight
04-30-2013, 10:12 PM
So, i'm watching the replay of Talmadge Hill's win on Apr 28th at Belmont in the 5th race and on the far turn, the announcer says she's in an 'all out duel' with a horse named Rapidize. Now, my replay is kind of blurry because the clarity of the NY replays is pretty poor these days, but it didnt look like Talmadge hill was even being asked for her best. The jock appeared to be sitting motionless on her with a big hold while having run in reserve.

My question is this. If two horses are head and head, does that automatically mean there's a 'all out duel'?

I cant imagine a cheap horse like Talmadge Hill can engage in an all out duel and still win. Maybe she wasnt really 'dueling'? Just listened to it. Announcer says "Rapidize now in an all out duel with Talmadge Hill".

That's a big difference. And yes, jock on TH was chilly, till they turned into the stretch and 50-70 yds into it.

Stillriledup
04-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Just listened to it. Announcer says "Rapidize now in an all out duel with Talmadge Hill".

That's a big difference. And yes, jock on TH was chilly, till they turned into the stretch and 50-70 yds into it.

He could have meant that Rapidize was all out,but he said 'all out duel' which meant to me he thought they were both all out. I didnt think either horse was being asked for her best at that point, both jocks seemed to have holds on their horses.

thespaah
04-30-2013, 11:11 PM

I cant imagine a cheap horse like Talmadge Hill can engage in an all out duel and still win. Maybe she wasnt really 'dueling'?
Remember, part of the announcer's job is indeed to be entertaining while giving out pertinent information. If the announcer adds a superlative or two, it's fine.
It is in reality show business.

iceknight
04-30-2013, 11:23 PM
He could have meant that Rapidize was all out,but he said 'all out duel' which meant to me he thought they were both all out. I didnt think either horse was being asked for her best at that point, both jocks seemed to have holds on their horses. Now we will await Vic's comments, jk. it's cool man. Let's focus on the Derby !

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2013, 01:54 AM
The only thing that really matters is how you interpret a race...not what the announcer says or thinks...

v j stauffer
05-01-2013, 02:29 AM
Now we will await Vic's comments, jk. it's cool man. Let's focus on the Derby !

Hey!! How bout those KNICKS? :jump:

Robert Fischer
05-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Was hoping this thread was going to mention some great recent duel, not criticize an announcers choice of wording. May as well waste an additional 30 seconds by making this post.

Valuist
05-01-2013, 09:38 AM
How about this one: in a 6 furlong you hear "they went the opening quarter in a blistering 22 4/5." I supposed that might be blistering at a bullring, or even Pimlico where opening quarters tend to be slow. But I think most would welcome battling thru that "difficult" :22 4/5 quarter.

Rise Over Run
05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
How about this one: in a 6 furlong you hear "they went the opening quarter in a blistering 22 4/5." I supposed that might be blistering at a bullring, or even Pimlico where opening quarters tend to be slow. But I think most would welcome battling thru that "difficult" :22 4/5 quarter.
Pimlico opening quarters are slow because there is virtually no run up for 6 furlong races.

thespaah
05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
The only thing that really matters is how you interpret a race...not what the announcer says or thinks...
True!

thespaah
05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Hey!! How bout those KNICKS? :jump:
Pretty good ball team..

iceknight
05-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Hey!! How bout those KNICKS? :jump: hmm.. am I an iceKNICK ?

Stillriledup
05-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Was hoping this thread was going to mention some great recent duel, not criticize an announcers choice of wording. May as well waste an additional 30 seconds by making this post.

Not being critical, just not sure if it was a duel or not. Hard to see these Belmont replays, its fuzzy and dark, looks like its 1970 all over again.

If the wording was wrong and it wasnt really a duel, than the announcer needs to be called out..i take this stuff seriously, i dont need stuff in my head that's not true, i don't need to be adding that the winner dueled and still won in my notes if she was under a hold instead.