PDA

View Full Version : Best Race Calls you ever heard

BetHorses!
02-18-2004, 12:45 AM
Some of my favorites that will always give me chills

Here comes Personal Ensign unleashing a furious stretch drive

Great Communicator unyielding Sunshine Forever determined Great Communicator-Great Communicator will not be denied

Both from the '86 Breeders Cup without a doubt the best cup to date

What are some of your favorites?

Whirlaway
02-18-2004, 01:51 AM
I thought the English race caller who called the first Dubai World Cup did a memorable job calling Cigar's stretch duel with Soul of the Matter: "He's coming back, he's fighting back, he's never had to fight harder!"

Also Secretariat's Belmont win: "He's moving like a tremendous machine!"

ceejay
02-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Here's a link to Chick Anderson's Belmont call. Click on the maroon horse to play it.

http://www.chef-de-race.com/articles/greatest.htm

alysheba88
02-18-2004, 09:25 AM
Bet Horses, those were two great great calls.

I also like the 88 BC Classic call with Alysheba "Alysheba is unyielding"

The call on the Go for Wand-Bayakoa race was perfect on so many levels. Caqptured the amazing cuththroat duel perfectly, and then the ultimate tragedy.

Valuist
02-18-2004, 09:55 AM
I think Durkin has had several great calls in the Breeders Cup. Some that come to mind are the 84 Classic, the 87 Classic, the 88 Distaff and the 86 Turf.

Zaf
02-18-2004, 10:12 AM
The Alysheba-Alydar battles stick out in my mind as some of the greatest.

ZAFONIC

BIG RED
02-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Probably only locals might remember this on, I'm sure Suff will. It was Waquiot against Broad Brush in the stretch. It's one of the most memorable calls of all racing to me.

I forget the caller's name, but I always pictured this guy up top smoking five packs of cigs and drinking straight bourbon. His voice was very raspy, and he really got exited near the wire, then his voice cracked into a very high pitch. He must have had something on the race! It was a great race, too.

delayjf
02-18-2004, 11:48 AM
I recall Marschel Cassidy's call of the stretch run with Affirmed and Alydar sending chills down my spine.

mudnturf
02-18-2004, 01:59 PM
If I posted this before, I apologize. But the funniest, and most clever race call was Chick Anderson's call of a race in the early to mid 70s.
He referred to the coupled entry of Stunning Countess and Cunning Stunt as 1 and 1A for the entire race.

Bubbles
02-18-2004, 03:51 PM
The one that'll always hold a special place in my mind is the call of Tiznow's second Classic win, two months after 9/11...

"AND TIZNOW WINS ONE FOR AMERICA!!!!!"

Other good ones are Secretariat's Belmont, Personal Ensign's Distaff, and You's Test.

cj
02-18-2004, 03:59 PM
The stretch call of the Easy Goer - Sunday Silence was terrific, though I can't remember who made the call. I am talking the on track call, not the TV call. Needless to say, you can't have a great call without having a great race.

JustRalph
02-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles
The one that'll always hold a special place in my mind is the call of Tiznow's second Classic win, two months after 9/11...
"AND TIZNOW WINS ONE FOR AMERICA!!!!!"

I have to agree with Bubbles on this one. I loved that race. I have a picture of that finish hanging on the wall in my office. I hated the pink silks.......but it was a hell of a race and a hell of a call...........

anybody know who did the call...on television?

link to some photos from that Breeders cup...

http://www.horseswild.com/bc2001/index.shtml

http://www.horseswild.com/bc2001/images/mdf75595.jpg

Speed Figure
02-18-2004, 05:26 PM
The 1998 Belmont! A picture is worth a 1000 words, but this photo is worth $5,000,000 DOLLARS!!!! :eek: :eek:

Bubbles
02-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Just Ralph...

It was Durkin who called it.

BetHorses!
02-19-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by alysheba88 (MW)

The call on the Go for Wand-Bayakoa race was perfect on so many levels. Caqptured the amazing cuththroat duel perfectly, and then the ultimate tragedy.

Oct. 27, 1990. I was a 22 year old tough guy, at Belmont and cried like a girl. She was my favorite and I really believe she was gonna win but I never wanted to watch that race again.

I think Badgett or someone said she tried so hard and that sometimes horses unfortunately give their lives for our enjoyment.

PaceAdvantage
02-19-2004, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by BetHorses!
I think Badgett or someone said she tried so hard and that sometimes horses unfortunately give their lives for our enjoyment.

That was actually Bayakoa's trainer Ron McAnally who said that...

racingrev
02-19-2004, 07:40 AM
Two of the Greatest ever Racecallers in Australia's history both called the shots from the major tracks in Melbourne.

The Prince of Racecallers Bill Collins and the brilliant Bert Bryant.

Collins calls are the stuff legends are made of... No one will ever forget his call of Boncrusher's Cox Plate...After an epic battle with fellow Kiwi Our Waverley Star, the modern day Big Red Pulled away with Collins declaring, " And Bonecrusher races into equine immortality as he photo finishes Our Waverley Star."

Bert Bryant was known not only for his accuracy but also his sensational humor...In calling the great match race between Rain Lover and Big Philou to a thrilling nose and nose finsh Bryant said. " Photo, Photo, I'll give it to Rain Lover a nose over Big Philou...You wouldn't want to be wrong in a two horse race would you, you'd have to give up...And get a real job."