PDA

View Full Version : Napravnik on 60 minutes

thespaah
04-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Heard today on "Down the Stretch" with Dave Johnson that 60 Minutes is airing a feature on Rosie Napravnik..
This would be tomorrow, Sunday at 7 pm EDT...

wiffleball whizz
04-28-2013, 01:50 AM
Cool I'll be watching.....god forbid it was 2 weeks ago and the masters was the leadin to that....

098poi
04-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Bump, this is on right now

Beachbabe
04-28-2013, 07:54 PM
One thing came through. She's as serious as a heart attack !!

tzipi
04-28-2013, 07:55 PM
One thing came through. She's as serious as a heart attack !!

Yeah, thought the same thing. No joking around with her! She wouldn't even make the chirping sound :D

098poi
04-28-2013, 08:06 PM
I didn't know she had all that hardware in her due to injuries. I guess most of them do. Gotta respect them all.

tzipi
04-28-2013, 08:09 PM
I was really surprised they didn't mention Julie Krone at all in the segment.

Valuist
04-28-2013, 08:54 PM

The average non-racing fan doesn't know who Julie Krone is.

tzipi
04-28-2013, 09:15 PM

Well I'm also pretty sure they don't know who Barbara Jo Rubin is but they mentioned her. Did you watch?

wiffleball whizz
04-28-2013, 10:06 PM

Not so sure that's accurate

VeryOldMan
04-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Me too - I was expecting them to mention Julie Krone in the backstory after showing the Barbara Jo Rubin material.

jahura2
04-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Always thought Rosie had icewater in her veins and her interview supports that notion. She doesnt put up with any nonsense from anyone, fellow jockeys or 60 minute reporters that have little knowledge of racing.

I definitely don't consider her a female jockey any more, she is
just a good jockey.

SandyLoam
04-29-2013, 12:24 PM
The piece smelled of heavy-handed editing for the "males-are-bullies" angle. It was all they could do to include Rosie's "just one of the boys" quote. the correspondent either had absolutely no knowledge of horse racing or he should win an Emmy for dumbing it down so badly. He once again went down the path of the jockeys win the races and not paying attention to the horse underneath.

Not mentioning Julie Krone, Donna Brothers or even Chantal Sutherland was horrible. And back when Barbara Jo Rubin rode, what do you think the reaction to her would have been? It was a sign of those times.

While I loved seeing a tough-as-nails Rosie, the piece was nothing more than a grab for Derby-related ratings.

magwell
04-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Two things were very evident, she's tough as nails and the reporter had no clue of the subject........;)

Robert Fischer
04-29-2013, 12:44 PM
She's a solid jockey, and a great, Great, ambassador to the sport.

There's a thread on the first page about Racetrack executives, being 'out of touch' with their products. This prime time media broadcast of one of the sport's ambassadors, was worth more in one spot than the contributions of some of these executives' career. Of course kudos to those executives who "get it" and helped organize this segment.

The media broadcast is what is so needed in our sport. We currently have almost no broadcast effort!

MightBeSosa
04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
60 minutes no clue? Is that news?

Greyfox
04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
60 minutes no clue? Is that news?

Have you been incarcerated? :lol:

Just kidding.

You can view the section on Rosie at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50145792n

Marshall Bennett
04-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Rosie ranks 5th in jockey earnings and 2nd in wins. We're almost into May, that's quite impressive.

atlasaxis
04-29-2013, 03:26 PM
I didn't know she had all that hardware in her due to injuries. I guess most of them do. Gotta respect them all.

You would be stunned at the number of them (jocks and exercise riders) with screws, plates, rods and fusions. MAJOR respect to them all for what they do day in and day out!

stuball
04-29-2013, 03:39 PM
That announcer shocked me if I heard him right....did he say something about
because she was winning races the bookies were shocked or didn't like it.
maybe I heard that wrong but I cannot believe he still lives in a bookie
world...talk about not knowing what you are talking about....LOL :bang: :bang:

Stuball

Zydeco
04-29-2013, 03:44 PM
He did say bookies...i heard that too and thought it was weird.

MightBeSosa
04-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Have you been incarcerated? :lol:

Just kidding.

You can view the section on Rosie at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50145792n

The perils of the English Language . was saying that 60 minutes having no clue, was not news.

thespaah
04-29-2013, 06:48 PM
The piece smelled of heavy-handed editing for the "males-are-bullies" angle. It was all they could do to include Rosie's "just one of the boys" quote. the correspondent either had absolutely no knowledge of horse racing or he should win an Emmy for dumbing it down so badly. He once again went down the path of the jockeys win the races and not paying attention to the horse underneath.

Not mentioning Julie Krone, Donna Brothers or even Chantal Sutherland was horrible. And back when Barbara Jo Rubin rode, what do you think the reaction to her would have been? It was a sign of those times.

While I loved seeing a tough-as-nails Rosie, the piece was nothing more than a grab for Derby-related ratings.
Most likely those who paved the way for Rosie were not mentioned due to time constraints.
Each segment is but 12 minutes. That allows for the 22 minutes of commercial time permitted plus, local station ID( 10 seconds) and required PSA's.
Napravnik's story would be great for an ESPN Outside The Lines or HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumble"

iceknight
04-30-2013, 12:01 AM
I did nt realize she was only 25 years old. That is definitely very impressive! of course, even more impressive is the hard work, talent and dedication to rise from working in a stable to being a successful jockey at this age, and in spite of the gender bias!

Kudos to her and good luck to Rosie.
Of course.. this is still about the horses.. so May the Best Horse Win!

Thanks for posting this thespaah!

nijinski
05-04-2013, 06:15 PM
She has major "tude" and earned that right .

thespaah
05-04-2013, 09:24 PM
I did nt realize she was only 25 years old. That is definitely very impressive! of course, even more impressive is the hard work, talent and dedication to rise from working in a stable to being a successful jockey at this age, and in spite of the gender bias!

Kudos to her and good luck to Rosie.
Of course.. this is still about the horses.. so May the Best Horse Win!

Thanks for posting this thespaah!
yep..You bet!!!!

thespaah
05-04-2013, 09:30 PM
She has major "tude" and earned that right .
While Rosie has the goods, and she does project confidence. She is not yet in the same neighborhood as Julie Krone. Not even close.
Krone had it MUCH tougher. Not only that, she did it with a smile.
I was at Saratoga the day she won 6.
I used to bet her at Meadowlands before she got any attention from the media.
Napravnik has a way to go before she gets to that level.
However, Rosie IS on her way.

SharpCat
05-05-2013, 04:10 PM
While Rosie has the goods, and she does project confidence. She is not yet in the same neighborhood as Julie Krone. Not even close.

I agree. Let's see if Rosie wins a riding title at Belmont and Gulfstream like Julie did.

nijinski
05-05-2013, 04:17 PM

I also agree . I haven't seen a female rider yet I would compare to Julie .
I admire Rosie alot though . She certainly has a mind of her own . I love how she corrected Bob Costas . :D without a flinch of a smile .

thespaah
05-05-2013, 04:50 PM
I agree. Let's see if Rosie wins a riding title at Belmont and Gulfstream like Julie did.
Or Saratoga!
In my opinion, Krone's greatest achievement.

SharpCat
05-05-2013, 05:04 PM
I did not realize that Julie won a riding title at the Spa. What year did she win the riding title?

wiffleball whizz
05-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Wow had no clue she win a riding title at the spa....and im guessing the colony was much tougher back then compared to now

thespaah
05-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Wow had no clue she win a riding title at the spa....and im guessing the colony was much tougher back then compared to now
I made an error. It was Belmont.
However, I was in attendance at Saratoga the day she won 5.

Tall One
05-05-2013, 06:58 PM
and im guessing the colony was much tougher back then compared to now

Much tougher.

Kentucky tracks, particulary Turfway, has always had a fairly deep female jock colony. Patti Cooksey, Lori Wydick, Greta Kuntzweiler, Tammy Fox, Kauru Tsuchiya, etc..so you can see what I had to deal with...:(

But Julie Krone helped me "get over" my hesitance to back female jocks at the windows. Donna Barton was 1st call rider for Lukas/Young horses here in Kentucky and deservingly so. Rosie, I feel the same way about. Don't bother me at all if she's up on the horse I like. She's tough as nails but she relates very well with her mounts. Good run yesterday, IMO.

lamboguy
06-20-2013, 03:03 PM
i have been watching Rosie ride this year, and she has done nothing but get better. she just does the things naturally that good riders do. i predict a big Saratoga meet for her this year.

pele polo
06-20-2013, 10:20 PM
I made an error. It was Belmont.
However, I was in attendance at Saratoga the day she won 5.

I was in attendance the day she won 5 at Del Mar must have been '03 or '04.

Hung around that gorgeous paddock all day and the thing that most sticks out in my mind is remembering this guy saying:
"this f'kn b*t€h better not win another one or I'm robbing 7-11 tonight"

He sounded serious

pele polo
06-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Btw, wasn't Julie Krone one of the most likeable characters. Thought it was the oddest thing when she admitted to a bout of depression, she was so bubbly.

wiffleball whizz
06-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Btw, wasn't Julie Krone one of the most likeable characters. Thought it was the oddest thing when she admitted to a bout of depression, she was so bubbly.

Not sure how true it is but I heard from more then 1 person that Julie punched joe bravo in the face at atlantic city racecourse....

magwell
06-21-2013, 01:52 AM
Not sure how true it is but I heard from more then 1 person that Julie punched joe bravo in the face at atlantic city racecourse.... Yep but it wasn't that hard of a punch.....