PDA

View Full Version : Lure

SharpCat
04-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Just want to say congrats to one of my favorite all time turf horses for finally getting into the HOF.

sandpit
04-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Just want to say congrats to one of my favorite all time turf horses for finally getting into the HOF.

Second that! Quite possibly the best horse of the 20th century that never got voted a champion. His race with Devil His Due in the Gotham was just incredible, to go a half mile in :43 4/5 seconds and still have enough to hang on for the dead heat with the Devil was amazing.

Three track records on both dirt and turf; his turn of foot in the stretch of the 1992 BC Mile was something you hardly ever see a front-runner do, then he came back a year later and did it again in the same race.

The old boy is living out his days at the place of his birth, Claiborne Farm.

SharpCat
04-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Second that! Quite possibly the best horse of the 20th century that never got voted a champion. His race with Devil His Due in the Gotham was just incredible, to go a half mile in :43 4/5 seconds and still have enough to hang on for the dead heat with the Devil was amazing.

Three track records on both dirt and turf; his turn of foot in the stretch of the 1992 BC Mile was something you hardly ever see a front-runner do, then he came back a year later and did it again in the same race.

The old boy is living out his days at the place of his birth, Claiborne Farm.

:22 1/5 :43 4/5 1:08 1/5 1:35 3/5 They just took of together with 6 furlongs to go and they threw down one of the greatest stretch battles ever. Simply incredible to see Lure pinballing of the rail and still manage to dead heat for the win.

JustRalph
04-28-2013, 01:17 AM
OeO4BoUn43g

Stillriledup
02-20-2014, 06:01 AM
Fans of Lure, i want to direct your attention to the first race at Santa Anita on Feb 16th. The winner, wire to wire, was a horse named Snaps. He Looks just like Lure, yellow silks on the jock, sheepskin noseband, white markings on the head and some on the feet, take a look at this video and tell me if you think Snaps reminds you of Lure coming down the lane at Santa Anita. Maybe he's not an exact lookalike, but he's certainly a 'remindalike'.

turninforhome10
02-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Fans of Lure, i want to direct your attention to the first race at Santa Anita on Feb 16th. The winner, wire to wire, was a horse named Snaps. He Looks just like Lure, yellow silks on the jock, sheepskin noseband, white markings on the head and some on the feet, take a look at this video and tell me if you think Snaps reminds you of Lure coming down the lane at Santa Anita. Maybe he's not an exact lookalike, but he's certainly a 'remindalike'.
I saw that and thought the exact same thing and got a little chill. Lure is my favorite horse of a all time. I have his halter from the Breeders Cup above my desk. He is definately deserving of the award. Surviving a 3yo campaign looking for the Derby and then Shug puts him on the weeds and Hello. My heart sunk when his stud career was hampered by fertility issues. When he won the 2nd Breeders cup from the 11 hole he stamped himself as one the best turf horses of the 20th Century IMHO, although I am bit biased.

But those yellow silks flashing home against the green of the SA lawn, brought back some good memories.
Congrats to LURE and his connections.

Tall One
02-20-2014, 12:43 PM

+1..long past due.

I rememember when Shug switched him over to the turf. That '92 BCM race was a thing of beauty, and all Mikey had to do was hold on.

Hadn't seen a horse relish a surface switch like that until Mott put Cigar on the dirt at Gulfstream.

classhandicapper
02-21-2014, 09:11 AM
I'm surprised we never had a Lure vs. Wise Dan thread.

outofthebox
02-21-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm surprised we never had a Lure vs. Wise Dan thread.Because Lure would have eaten Wise Dan for lunch. Everyone knows that, so there would be no reason to discuss it.

Valuist
02-21-2014, 01:24 PM
+1..long past due.

I rememember when Shug switched him over to the turf. That '92 BCM race was a thing of beauty, and all Mikey had to do was hold on.

Hadn't seen a horse relish a surface switch like that until Mott put Cigar on the dirt at Gulfstream.

Just watched a replay of that race and he really dominated a field that included Paradise Creek, Fourstars Allstar and Arazi as well as a few Euro shippers.

In baseball, each player has several "comparables". For Lure, I think Wise Dan would definitely be listed as a comparable.

classhandicapper
02-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Because Lure would have eaten Wise Dan for lunch. Everyone knows that, so there would be no reason to discuss it.

I keep forgetting that most of the people here are old enough to have seen Lure. ;)

I'm going to guess that turf racing in the US was better back than it is now (even though IMO it's very hard to compare). I'd give Lure the edge, but I don't think anyone would have a walk in the park with Wise Dan.

iceknight
02-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Just watched a replay of that race and he really dominated a field that included Paradise Creek, Fourstars Allstar and Arazi as well as a few Euro shippers.

In baseball, each player has several "comparables". For Lure, I think Wise Dan would definitely be listed as a comparable. COngrats to Lure! He shouldve been a first ballot HOF, but I am glad he got it now.

A dream line up to see would have been Lure, War Chant, Wise Dan, Miesque, Da Hoss, Animal Kingdom,Royal Academy ...who else should be there?

outofthebox
02-21-2014, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=classhandicapper]I keep forgetting that most of the people here are old enough to have seen Lure. ;)

I'm going to guess that turf racing in the US was better back than it is now (even though IMO it's very hard to compare). I'd give Lure the edge, but I don't think anyone would have a walk in the park with Wise Dan.[/QUOTE It's difficult to compare horses over the years. I was just having a little fun with that comment. Lure and Paradise Creek has some great battles..

Jasonm921
02-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Turf racing during those few years were extremely competitive here.

Del Park
02-25-2014, 12:23 PM
That was a young Mike Smith riding! Look what he is doing now???????????????????

Prytanis
02-25-2014, 07:47 PM
COngrats to Lure! He shouldve been a first ballot HOF, but I am glad he got it now.

A dream line up to see would have been Lure, War Chant, Wise Dan, Miesque, Da Hoss, Animal Kingdom,Royal Academy ...who else should be there?

Cozzene,Da Hoss.

nijinski
02-25-2014, 09:27 PM
I saw that and thought the exact same thing and got a little chill. Lure is my favorite horse of a all time. I have his halter from the Breeders Cup above my desk. He is definately deserving of the award. Surviving a 3yo campaign looking for the Derby and then Shug puts him on the weeds and Hello. My heart sunk when his stud career was hampered by fertility issues. When he won the 2nd Breeders cup from the 11 hole he stamped himself as one the best turf horses of the 20th Century IMHO, although I am bit biased.

But those yellow silks flashing home against the green of the SA lawn, brought back some good memories.
Congrats to LURE and his connections.

I agree with you on Lure as one of the best up the 9 or 9.5 f .
No classic distance for him which is where Manila has the edge .

Doza
02-25-2014, 09:43 PM
COngrats to Lure! He shouldve been a first ballot HOF, but I am glad he got it now.

Goldikova gotta be on that list

BIG49010
02-25-2014, 10:00 PM
The way Reload won on Saturday for Shug, it kind of reminded me of Lure.

Shug has some real good ones again, it is interesting how things cycle in this business, even when you have the best of best.

iceknight
02-26-2014, 12:02 AM
Lure, War Chant, Wise Dan, Miesque, Da Hoss, Animal Kingdom,Royal Academy, Cozzene, Goldikova.
We need another 3-4 horses and then...
Who will be making the M/L for this ?

maclr11
02-26-2014, 01:36 AM
Royal Heroine, Rock of Gibraltar and Steinlen are three milers missing that come to mind for me.

Add Val Royal and Six Perfections and you have a 14 horse field
Rider Choices * Stevens chose Da Hoss over War Chant leaving Bailey to choose War Chant over Six Perfections. Leaving Six Perfections open for Thierry Thulliez.

1. Royal Academy Vincent O'Brien Lester Piggot 15-1
2. Val Royal Julio Canani Jose Valdivia Jr. 30-1
3. Cozzene Jan Nerud Walter Guerra 25-1
4. Six Perfections Pascal Bary Thierry Thulliez 25-1
5. Wise Dan Charles Lopresti John Velazquez 4-1
6. Rock of Gibraltar Aiden O'Brien Mick Kinane 8-1
7. Miesque Francois Boutin Freddy Head 5-1
8. War Chant Neil Drysdale Jerry Bailey 12-1
9. Steinlen D. Wayne Lukas Jose Santos 15-1
10. Da Hoss Michael Dickinson Gary Stevens 6-1
11. Lure Shug McGaughey Mike Smith 7-2
12. Animal Kingdom Graham Motion Joel Rosario 15-1
13. Royal Heroine John Gosden Fernando Toro 20-1
14. Goldikova Freddy Head Olivier Peslier 10-1

Yes I did randomly draw the names out to determine Post Position

nijinski
02-26-2014, 01:54 AM
Lure, War Chant, Wise Dan, Miesque, Da Hoss, Animal Kingdom,Royal Academy, Cozzene, Goldikova.
We need another 3-4 horses and then...
Who will be making the M/L for this ?

Why not Kip Deville since we're looking at a mile .

classhandicapper
02-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Royal Heroine, Rock of Gibraltar and Steinlen are three milers missing that come to mind for me.

Rider Choices * Stevens chose Da Hoss over War Chant leaving Bailey to choose War Chant over Six Perfections. Leaving Six Perfections open for Thierry Thulliez.

Yes I did randomly draw the names out to determine Post Position

There are a few horses I would bet in that field at those prices. ;)

turninforhome10
02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
I agree with you on Lure as one of the best up the 9 or 9.5 f .
No classic distance for him which is where Manila has the edge .
You are correct. He is one of the best turf milers. No confusion, as Lure did not go much longer than 8-9 furlongs.

iceknight
02-26-2014, 02:08 PM

Yes I did randomly draw the names out to determine Post Position Wow what a field, if only we had a time machine now with room to transport horses without spooking them!!

taxicab
02-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Great thread.
How about a late nomination for the dream race.
Ridgewood Pearl.
In 1995 she did something remarkable.
As a 3yo Filly, she won 4 Group/Grade 1 races in 4 countries:
ENGLAND
IRELAND
FRANCE
U.S.A.......Breeders Cup Mile against older males.
She retired 6 for 8 lifetime.

iceknight
02-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Great thread.
How about a late nomination for the dream race.
Ridgewood Pearl.
In 1995 ....
U.S.A.......Breeders Cup Mile against older males.
She retired 6 for 8 lifetime. And JP Murtagh who rode her, just announced retirement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ6viZtSGWg