PDA

View Full Version : SLEW'S FAST HORSES FOR THUR. 04/25

MeSlew
04-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Hello All! For Thursday the 25th of April, we have the following tracks and races listed:

Atlantic City - 5,6
Hollywood - 1,3,4,5,6,7
Keeneland - 3,5,6,7,8,9
Calder - 2,8

Of course, we have lost Aqueduct and Santa Anita but we pick up...Atlantic City?

Yes. The venerable old race course which opened in 1946 boasted a who's who of owners as well as horses. These days they run a short all turf "festival" as mandated by New Jersey law APRIL 25 - 28 & APRIL 30 - MAY 1. We track this short meet as we do some of the Meadowlands racing at the conclusion of the regular Monmouth Park meeting as an extension of Monmouth Park.

We also welcome back Hollywood Park...for the last time? Bay Meadows Development Corp. keeps threatening.

For Thursday, we do have one of our Key Horses running.

Flower Mart - KEE ( 6) GP 01/10/13 # 6

Now Flower Mart gave her backers (of which I was one) a scare & thrill last time as she was hopelessly out of the running turning for home. But then when the after burners kicked in, you could see she had dead aim on the wire. The race at a mile gave her just a few feet of wiggle room. She used every inch! This contest however, adds 1/16th of a mile to the distance these 4 & up Fillies and Mares will cover in this N1X allowance race on the turf. Oh yeah...they were 'turfless in Lexington' today and should that continue tomorrow, all bets are off. I don't care how green they claim the fake dirt is.

This daughter of Street Sense out of the Coronado's Quest mare Coronado Rose took her time breaking her maiden but caught my eye in the GP race run on 1/10. That race has not been a productive one with regards to next out winners, save this one. Of course we don't care about the other horses, only our lovely lady running tomorrow. She loses regular rider Lezcano but picks up the services of Mr. Julian Leparoux for Christophe Clement. J.L. knows how to ride, which brings me to a very interesting point. Joel Rosario is absolutely crushing the jockey colony with 26 wins in 83 starts. J.L. is second with 15 wins in 77 starts. But on the turf, they have 5 wins each with Joel starting one more race than J.L. (as of 4/21).

In her win on 3/28 the last two fractions were 11.57 & 11.82 on a blazing fast Gulfstream Park turf course. No such fractions tomorrow. But with decent footing this lady will be very competitive in a field she can handle. Now to be honest, I'm not a great fan of back-to-back wins. Statistics say they are rare. And anecdotal confirmation is easy: just eyeball any group of past performances at any track on any day. You won't see many, IF ANY. But good horses, really good horses that is, break their maidens and as a matter of regular course, move through their early allowance races with relative ease. A move forward in this 2nd off a (short) layoff race will get her there.

One thing we do know: this lady can run fast. One thing we don't know: just how good she is. This summer will tell us.

As for tomorrow, if the course is firm, I'll take some of the winnings from today's Slew of runners that brought home the bacon and try to goose her down the stretch.

Enjoy the Thursday racing...good luck and good 'capping!