View Full Version : Ann Coulter on Immigration

classhandicapper
04-24-2013, 04:15 PM
This should stir the pot a little. :lol:

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2013-04-24.html

thaskalos
04-24-2013, 04:27 PM
"There should be ZERO immigrants demanding that we speak their language." :lol:

Immigrants don't demand that Americans speak "their language". They just want to reserve the right to speak their native language themselves...without having some xenophobic American walk up to them and tell them to..."speak English"...because..."this is America".

classhandicapper
04-24-2013, 04:54 PM
"There should be ZERO immigrants demanding that we speak their language." :lol:

Immigrants don't demand that Americans speak "their language". They just want to reserve the right to speak their native language themselves...without having some xenophobic American walk up to them and tell them to..."speak English"...because..."this is America".

Technically you are correct.

I think the implication is that immigrants from early in the 19th century were more anxious to learn English because they needed to in order to succeed. There weren't a million store signs, menus, automated bank machines, automated phone messages, school classes, road signs, job applications etc.. in many other languages that make it easier for them to retain their single language status while simultaneously occasionally inconveniencing and costing English only speakers.

Have you ever been to Flushing Queens?

I love the area and people there, but no way you'd recognize it as the America of a few decades ago. English is probably the 4th language. :lol:

thaskalos
04-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Technically you are correct.

I think the implication is that immigrants from early in the 19th century were more anxious to learn English because they needed to in order succeed. There weren't a million store signs, menus, automated bank machines, automated phone messages, school classes etc.. in many other languages that make it easier for them to retain their single language status while simultaneously occasionally inconveniencing English only speakers.

I love the area and people there, but no way you'd recognize it as the America of a few decades ago. English is probably the 4th language. :lol:

Yes, I understand the implication made here, CH...

But I have to shake my head when I read an article that isolates on immigrant crimes...while glossing over the crimes committed by the natives.

"I don't want to hear about the black crime rate or the Columbine killers. We are talking about immigrants here!"...Coulter exclaims!

Well...we are only talking about the "immigrants here" because she chose to make immigrant crime the focus of her article. Were she to focus on the crime rate in general...she would discover that the immigrants are not necessarily more attracted to crime (or to welfare, for that matter) than the natives here are.

It's normal to get angry after senseless crimes of this nature...

But we should channel our anger the right way.

ArlJim78
04-24-2013, 05:31 PM
the article was on immigration policy, and she asks why don't we consider setting higher standards for who we allow in the country. not necessarily that immigrants commit more crimes than natives, but since we have a choice why let in the deadbeats with no prospects and a proclivity for mischief? we have plenty of the homegrown variety already.

Ocala Mike
04-24-2013, 05:39 PM

Not since 1964, when I got my degree from Queens College. Remember seeing George Raft going in to see a flick at the RKO Keith's on Northern Boulevard in the late 50's. Is it still there?

My spies in Queens tell me Main St. is now Koreatown. Time marches on.

thaskalos
04-24-2013, 05:56 PM
the article was on immigration policy, and she asks why don't we consider setting higher standards for who we allow in the country. not necessarily that immigrants commit more crimes than natives, but since we have a choice why let in the deadbeats with no prospects and a proclivity for mischief? we have plenty of the homegrown variety already.
Whatever she is trying to say in the article could have been stated better...

She says:

"The problem isn't just illegal immigration. I would rather have doctors and engineers sneaking into this country than legally arriving ditch-diggers."

Is this to imply that illegal immigration is only a problem when the immigrants are low-level workers rather than members of the higher professions?

If this her idea of "immigration policy"?

Tom
04-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Hello.
For English, dial 1
For English, Dial 2
For English, Dial 3
For English, dial 4

TJDave
04-25-2013, 01:32 AM
"The problem isn't just illegal immigration. I would rather have doctors and engineers sneaking into this country than legally arriving ditch-diggers."

Obviously, she's never needed a ditch dug. ;)

classhandicapper
04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Not since 1964, when I got my degree from Queens College. Remember seeing George Raft going in to see a flick at the RKO Keith's on Northern Boulevard in the late 50's. Is it still there?

My spies in Queens tell me Main St. is now Koreatown. Time marches on.

I'm not sure why, but I have an affinity for far eastern culture. Maybe it's the food or maybe it's the petite sweet women :lol: , but my guess is that if there's any hope for the US long term, it comes from Asia.

classhandicapper
04-25-2013, 09:29 AM

She says:

Is this to imply that illegal immigration is only a problem when the immigrants are low-level workers rather than members of the higher professions?

I think the implication is that historically, when immigrants came to the US (like when my grandparents came in the early 1900s ) there were lots of jobs for people with limited education and skills (like my grandparents). If you got a job in construction, as an iceman, or whatever, you could take care of your family. If not, there was a strong EXTENDED family unit and sense of community to cope. So many immigrants were initially poor (like my grandparents), but they made ends meet without assistance from the "state". That was great because there was no welfare state.

Now, there are way fewer jobs like that. To make it in the US now you pretty much have to have a good education or special skill. In addition, even if you find a low skilled job, you still can't really make it.

Combine low skilled and uneducated immigrants like that with a generous welfare state, the breakdown of families etc.. and we are accumulating people looking for a better way of life that are unfit to make it here. So they have to be carried by taxpayers that are just barely getting by themselves. When you can't make it and are desperate, that's also fertile conditions for crime.

So yes, IMO if we are going to have open borders, we should be trying to import very skilled and educated labor that will fit into our culture easily. It's our country. We can import or not import anyone we want. So if are going to welcome immigrants as we historically have, we should at least make sure it's as big a net positive as possible.

Tom
04-25-2013, 09:36 AM
I prefer her opinions on immigration to say, those of Obama, Reid, Pelosi.......

Capper Al
04-25-2013, 09:42 AM
This should stir the pot a little. :lol:

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2013-04-24.html

Surprisingly I don't disagree with her that much. Let's not forget that there have been many more blessings received from hard working immigrants than cases like these.

The same arguments about 9/11 were made that the government had tips to go on to prevent such a thing from happening. Unfortunately I have to believe that they get warnings like these everyday and only one in a million are of real concern.

TJDave
04-25-2013, 02:23 PM
;)
So yes, IMO if we are going to have open borders, we should be trying to import very skilled and educated labor that will fit into our culture easily. It's our country. We can import or not import anyone we want. So if are going to welcome immigrants as we historically have, we should at least make sure it's as big a net positive as possible.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips.

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Tom
04-25-2013, 03:03 PM
That totally applies to LEGAL immigrants, not those who choose to ignore our laws. There is a difference between the Golden Door and the Freaking Fence.

TJDave
04-25-2013, 03:12 PM
There is a difference between the Golden Door and the Freaking Fence.

Not according to Coulter:

classhandicapper
04-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Not according to Coulter:

I think she was speaking in terms of economic benefit to the country - which is the point I was making earlier.

The country has changed.

1. In the early 19th century there was no welfare state. If you came here, you were theoretically on your own, though most had help from family or other immigrants from the same country that were already established here. There weren't all sort of programs you could get on either legally or illegally on the taxpayers dime.

2. In the early 19th century, there were plenty of jobs for unskilled labor that paid well enough to give an immigrant a decent chance of making it without assistance. Now, you need a good education or special skills to have any shot at all.

I don't want any illegals here, but in terms of economics I'd rather I have an illegal highly educated engineer than a legal uneducated unskilled person.

Tom
04-25-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't want any illegals here, but in terms of economics I'd rather I have an illegal highly educated engineer than a legal uneducated unskilled person.

I would trade them for democrats, 2 for 1~! :lol:

delayjf
04-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Obviously, she's never needed a ditch dug.
I think Ive had all those jobs at Libs say Americans won't take at one time or another. And yes I dug ditches for a summer after my senior year in high school.

mountainman
04-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Bill O'reilly once alluded to celebrated pundits who fake extreme conservative positions for fun and profit. Surely, he had Ann Coulter in mind. And, I suspect to some small extent, Rush Limbaugh. Hannity and Levine strike me as sincere.

Tom
04-26-2013, 03:53 PM
They make good livings pissing off liberals, will still satisfying the base.
Not a bad career path.

TJDave
04-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Bill O'reilly once alluded to celebrated pundits who fake extreme conservative positions for fun and profit.

Bill fakes critiquing conservative positions for fun and profit.

TJDave
04-26-2013, 05:12 PM
while still satisfying the base.

Sophomoric works well with a 'junior high' audience.

Tom
04-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Sophomoric works well with a 'junior high' audience.

You mean like the sequester grandstanding Obama is doing? Or just about every single speech he makes? Compared to Obama, Ann is a Rhodes scholar giving a dissertation!

TJDave
04-27-2013, 03:28 AM
You mean like the sequester grandstanding Obama is doing? Or just about every single speech he makes?

Yeah, pretty much. :lol:

I see little difference style wise between right and left pundits....or the IQ of their respectice audience.

Robert Goren
04-27-2013, 08:30 AM
The difference is in the selling of books. With a few exception for well known politicians like Albert Gore, books by liberals don't sell very well. Books by conservatives even unknown ones sell like hot cakes. How many get read from cover to cover is another story.

HUSKER55
04-27-2013, 09:03 AM
So your argument is democrats buy books and don't read them because it requires work!

have a good day at the races

Tom
04-27-2013, 10:47 AM
That and the ability to read.

mountainman
04-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Yeah, pretty much. :lol:

I see little difference style wise between right and left pundits....or the IQ of their respectice audience.

Oh, there's a difference, allright. A HUGE difference. The conservative pundits are entertaining.

ArlJim78
04-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Bill O'reilly once alluded to celebrated pundits who fake extreme conservative positions for fun and profit. Surely, he had Ann Coulter in mind. And, I suspect to some small extent, Rush Limbaugh. Hannity and Levine strike me as sincere.
I like that, "for fun and profit". For sure Coulter is one of the pundits who does this.
I'd put Rush in the sincere camp though. he's a consumate entertainer and pot-stirrer, and boy does he make a profit, but he's sincere none the less.

Tom
04-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Do you suppose the tingling leg stuff was all show, or wasit sincere. or. worse yet, did he pee his pants? :lol:

Robert Goren
04-27-2013, 08:20 PM
I like that, "for fun and profit". For sure Coulter is one of the pundits who does this.
I'd put Rush in the sincere camp though. he's a consumate entertainer and pot-stirrer, and boy does he make a profit, but he's sincere none the less.Not always. If you listen to him enough, you notice that sometimes he lets his sarcasm on some conservative topics slip through. I had to listen to him at work because a fellow employee loved the guy. After a while you can pick it up. My fellow employee, a ditto head to the end never did see it. I haven't listen to him since the mid 90s when the ditto head moved on. I doubt that he has changed though.

Robert Goren
04-27-2013, 08:31 PM
So your argument is democrats buy books and don't read them because it requires work!

have a good day at the racesMy argument is that liberals don't by books in droves that they don't intend to read.
I had a pretty decent day betting today. Not great, but decent enough for a $2 bettor. The last race at Belmont put me in the plus column. I hope you had a good day too and an even better one tomorrow.

Tom
04-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Maybe no one of the left writes any books worth reading?

johnhannibalsmith
04-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Maybe no one of the left writes any books worth reading?

Whaddabout the Superaffordable Care Act?

:D

Tom
04-28-2013, 12:30 AM
No one read that, for sure! :lol:
Ask Nancy.

mountainman
04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Not always. If you listen to him enough, you notice that sometimes he lets his sarcasm on some conservative topics slip through. I had to listen to him at work because a fellow employee loved the guy. After a while you can pick it up. My fellow employee, a ditto head to the end never did see it. I haven't listen to him since the mid 90s when the ditto head moved on. I doubt that he has changed though.

For all Limbaugh's bombast and strident tone, he still hits me as just a tad tongue in cheek. The guy is super talented and intelligent, but hard , for me at least, to take seriously. He comes across as a caricature of himself.

And what's with the whole "El Rushbo" thing? Isn't there an unwritten rule against assigning oneself a flattering nickname? Or pounding it home on your giant forum until it sticks?

davew
06-11-2013, 04:53 PM
The Uniited States should force some emigration. There are some 2nd, 3rd, 4th generations Americans who seem to feel they are entitled to get money for nothing (and the chicks for free).

TJDave
06-11-2013, 10:11 PM
There are some 2nd, 3rd, 4th generations Americans who seem to feel they are entitled to get money for nothing (and the chicks for free).

All Americans are immigrants or descendants...Even Native Americans who coincidentally, are entitled.

Tom
06-11-2013, 11:07 PM
I do not accept the premise that our immigration system is broken.
I also am glad we have seen the true colors of Rubio early enough to dump his ass.

badcompany
06-12-2013, 12:29 AM
The immigration problem is a symptom of the disease which is the Welfare State.

ElKabong
06-12-2013, 12:40 AM

She says:

I would agree w/ her. I too would rather have Docs, nurses, PTs, and Engineers coming in waves.

a local radio host (who was liberal at the time) said 25 years ago that our south border is importing poverty. He was right afterall. Kids that use English as a 2nd language have degraded the public schools system at the expense of American kids, our county hospital (parkland) is little more nowdays than a receptacle for illegals to come in, get treated, walk out with no payment submitted.

etc, etc.

Around here few kids have summer jobs nowdays. Those now permanently belong to illegals, at sub minimum wage. Employers are more than happy to hire illegals, they're cheaper thna what they w/ legally have to pay.

Same for some of the construction jobs.....off the payroll, under the table. The illegal gets work, the US citizen has long been shut out. Like 15+ years ago

etc etc

Import poverty, race to the bottom. Both dems and pugs bigger donors are pimping it

TJDave
06-12-2013, 12:49 AM
The immigration problem is a symptom of the disease which is the Welfare State.

Correct...Because corporations are the biggest beneficiaries.

badcompany
06-12-2013, 05:05 AM

Yes, companies like Solyndra.

Tom
06-12-2013, 07:34 AM

And democrats.

Robert Goren
06-12-2013, 07:56 AM
It is put up or shut up time for the GOP on immigration. If they truly want border security, it is going to cost a lot of money. A five foot barbed wire fence isn't going to stop anyone. Are they willing spend that money? All I have seen is a lot of talk so far.

Tom
06-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Drones, land mines, dogs...whatever it takes.