PDA

View Full Version : A little over stressed

JustRalph
04-23-2013, 07:00 AM
http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/americans-snapping-by-the-millions/

It's a WND article, so get out your grain of salt. But it makes some interesting points.

"Suicide has surpassed car crashes as the leading cause of injury death for Americans. Even more disturbing, in the world’s greatest military, more U.S. soldiers died last year by suicide than in combat;

Fully one-third of the nation’s employees suffer chronic debilitating stress, and more than half of all “millennials” (18 to 33 year olds) experience a level of stress that keeps them awake at night, including large numbers diagnosed with depression or anxiety disorder.

Shocking new research from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that one in five of all high-school-aged children in the United States has been diagnosed with ADHD, and likewise a large new study of New York City residents shows, sadly, that one in five preteens – children aged six to 12 – have been medically diagnosed with either ADHD, anxiety, depression or bipolar disorder;

New research concludes that stress renders people susceptible to serious illness, and a growing number of studies now confirm that chronic stress plays a major role in the progression of cancer, the nation’s second-biggest killer. The biggest killer of all, heart disease, which causes one in four deaths in the U.S., is also known to have a huge stress component;

Incredibly, 11 percent of all Americans aged 12 and older are currently taking SSRI antidepressants – those highly controversial, mood-altering psychiatric drugs with the FDA’s “suicidality” warning label and alarming correlation with school shooters. Women are especially prone to depression, with a stunning 23 percent of all American women in their 40s and 50s – almost one in four – now taking antidepressants, according to a major study by the CDC;

Add to that the tens of millions of users of all other types of psychiatric drugs, including (just to pick one) the 6.4 million American children between 4 and 17 diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Ritalin or similar psycho-stimulants. Throw in the 28 percent of American adults with a drinking problem, that’s more than 60 million, plus the 22 million using illegal drugs like marijuana, cocaine, heroin, hallucinogens and inhalants, and pretty soon a picture emerges of a nation of drug-takers, with hundreds of millions dependent on one toxic substance or another – legal or illegal – to “help” them deal with the stresses and problems of life."

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/americans-snapping-by-the-millions/#w6fB6puh9l2dleBo.99

tucker6
04-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Add to that the tens of millions of users of all other types of psychiatric drugs, including (just to pick one) the 6.4 million American children between 4 and 17 diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Ritalin or similar psycho-stimulants. Throw in the 28 percent of American adults with a drinking problem, that’s more than 60 million, plus the 22 million using illegal drugs like marijuana, cocaine, heroin, hallucinogens and inhalants, and pretty soon a picture emerges of a nation of drug-takers, with hundreds of millions dependent on one toxic substance or another – legal or illegal – to “help” them deal with the stresses and problems of life."

I'm not sure the numbers can be added as described in the above paragraph. Many people who have ADHD and/or have another mental condition take prescribed drugs, illegal drugs, and excessive amounts of alcohol all at the same time. So someone may fit into five categories.

To be perfectly honest, I have always felt that ADHD is over-diagnosed and over-treated when found. Life has always had stress. It's just that you hear about it more now in this age of constant news and information.

HUSKER55
04-23-2013, 08:08 AM
morning ralph,

I gave your post some thought and it occurred to me that the root of the problem is that there are no values in the USA.

it does not matter where you live, politicians are not for "what is just" but "how can I get mine". That also applies to teachers, ministers, wall street and the list goes on. Who gets the perks in school? Not the kids who need it but the rich kids. Poor kids are always on the shit end of the stick.

Greyfox
04-23-2013, 08:19 AM
New research concludes that stress renders people susceptible to serious illness, and a growing number of studies now confirm that chronic stress plays a major role in the progression of cancer, the nation’s second-biggest killer. The biggest killer of all, heart disease, which causes one in four deaths in the U.S., is also known to have a huge stress component;

Probably 80% or more of all illnesses and medical disorders are related to stress levels that have been too high.

In the 1960's Holmes and Rahe developed a quick test of stress levels that has been validated in medical centers and hospitals.
The test is easy to take and can give you an idea of the level of stress you are currently experiencing.

The concept behind the test is simple.
Events in your life cause stress - even positive ones like Christmas, if you spend it alone.
Those events can be assigned point ratings. For example, Christmas alone is 12 points.

A score of 150 or less is fine.
Between 150 to 300 your health is at some risk.
Higher than 300 you are at high risk of becoming ill in the near future.

YOU CAN TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE LIFE EVENTS STRESS INVENTORY AT THE FOLLOWING LINK.

http://www.harvestenterprises-sra.com/The%20Holmes-Rahe%20Scale.htm

PaceAdvantage
04-23-2013, 10:41 AM
The cynic in me sees these ever-increasing diagnosis rates dovetailing nicely with the introduction of big-pharma meds designed to treat such things, as well as generate healthy profits for the industry.

I see this not as an indictment of an ever more stressful world, but as an indictment of the medical and pharmaceutical industries as well as those individuals who turn to a pill to help solve problems in life.

Greyfox
04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
The cynic in me sees these ever-increasing diagnosis rates dovetailing nicely with the introduction of big-pharma meds designed to treat such things, as well as generate healthy profits for the industry.

I see this not as an indictment of an ever more stressful world, but as an indictment of the medical and pharmaceutical industries as well as those individuals who turn to a pill to help solve problems in life.

You could be right, but there are many alternative ways to reduce your stress levels without turning to popping pills.

DJofSD
04-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Mike, I agree w/ you 100%.

But then medicating the symptoms is just a natural result of the 1960's Leary directive to turn on, tune in and drop out.

OntheRail
04-23-2013, 11:39 AM

I agree... and how many of those drug commercials in the side effect speed ramble does it claim suicidal thoughts as one of them. :rolleyes:

johnhannibalsmith
04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
...Between 150 to 300 your health is at some risk.
Higher than 300 you are at high risk of becoming ill in the near future.

YOU CAN TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE LIFE EVENTS STRESS INVENTORY AT THE FOLLOWING LINK.

I took the test and it sent me flowers and a donation in the name of my favorite charity.

Greyfox
04-23-2013, 11:47 AM
I took the test and it sent me flowers and a donation in the name of my favorite charity.

:lol: Hopefully you're joshin.' Otherwise, it's time to decrease the number of changes that you are making in life.
(If you know someone who has had a heart attack recently, go over the test with them. In many instances you'll find the Holmes-Rahe test has merit.)

Saratoga_Mike
04-23-2013, 11:53 AM

Totally agree. Moreover, I think it's disgraceful how many kids are doped up now.

classhandicapper
04-23-2013, 02:00 PM

I vote for both. Plus, I'll add a 3rd.

The increased used of pharmaceuticals is leading to side effects that require more pharmaceuticals.

I have a great story.

I was having a minor stress related health issue. My doctor wanted to prescribe some medication to me. I told him I'd rather make a lifestyle change because I hate putting chemicals into my body if I don't need to. He said "That's great, but no need to suffer in the short term. Take the pill for awhile and when/if you don't need it you can stop". I reluctantly agreed because he seemed to be making sense.

Later we were having a conversation and he started complaining about a health issue he was having. I asked why he wasn't taking any medicine for it. He said, "Are you crazy, those medications will kill you".

We both laughed.

Dave Schwartz
04-23-2013, 02:40 PM

I agree, PA.

I have no connection to the health care world, of course, but it seems to me that in the last couple of decades the trend has been to treat the SYMPTOMS rather than the PROBLEM.

Rookies
04-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Mine was 133.

Some of these are out of synche with various urban realities.

I don't know a SINGLE homeowner in Toronto in say, the past 30 years, that wouldn't have a > $100k mortgage.

Hell, the average shit assed home here is 400 large!

boxcar
04-23-2013, 04:59 PM
I agree, PA.

I have no connection to the health care world, of course, but it seems to me that in the last couple of decades the trend has been to treat the SYMPTOMS rather than the PROBLEM.

What do you think "the PROBLEM" is, David?

Boxcar

Greyfox
04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Mine was 133.

Some of these are out of synche with various urban realities.

I don't know a SINGLE homeowner in Toronto in say, the past 30 years, that wouldn't have a > $100k mortgage.

Hell, the average shit assed home here is 400 large!

133 is a very good score. :ThmbUp:

The Holmes-Rahe Scale was originally constructed in the 1960's.
I think over the years some "tweaking" of it has been done with respect to questions such as that one on the mortgage.
However, while 100 K may be low for Toronto, it might be high for Atlanta or Las Vegas.

DJofSD
04-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Narcissism and political correctness run amok.

Robert Fischer
04-23-2013, 05:43 PM

wow. Nailed it.

pharma is big money/big power. They use the media well. They use the doctors well.

Robert Fischer
04-23-2013, 05:53 PM
it doesn't seem so funny now that I write it, :D , but I have a joke that:

"I'm not depressed (insert 'crazy' etc...), that instead, this is a totally rational way of feeling, given my real life problems."

HUSKER55
04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
want a good laugh. I was taking the test and the grand daughter came over.

she looked at the list and started to laugh.

"grandpa...you are such a bastard your score is zero"

then she smiled and borrowed $20.

life moves on.

enjoy