PDA

View Full Version : Al Zarooni, Godophin horses - Doping

iceknight
04-22-2013, 05:07 PM
No one is discussing this yet?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/77710/godolphin-horses-test-positive-for-steroids

Godolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni has admitted to administering anabolic steroids to 11 horses at the Moulton Paddocks Stables that tested positive for the prohibited substances.

Al Zarooni took responsibility, saying he thought the substances were permitted out of racing.

"I deeply regret what has happened," Al Zarooni said in a Godolphin release. "I have made a catastrophic error. Because the horses involved were not racing at the time, I did not realize that what I was doing was in breach of the rules of racing. I can only apologize for the damage this will cause to Godolphin and to racing generally."

Read more on http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/77710/godolphin-horses-test-positive-for-steroids#ixzz2REEdtP7u :

Fager Fan
04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
I think it's pretty funny given the big stink Godolphin made about the BC not banning lasix, having their guy resign from the board.

It's so "pure" everywhere but the U.S., you know.

JustRalph
04-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Lots of discussion on twitter since this morning

lamboguy
04-22-2013, 09:32 PM
shocking

dkithore
04-22-2013, 09:33 PM
While we are trying to improve our handicapping, these big shots are fixing their pocket books. We don't know for how long this has been going on. However, doesn't it make sense to test horses universally at every track, esp. winners and in-money finishers, everywhere?

What do you think? What can we do about it? Write to our congressman?:bang:

FantasticDan
04-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Zarooni? Jabroni! :p

MightBeSosa
04-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Rumor the Shocked Shiek is considering Ricky D. for the job.

MightBeSosa
04-23-2013, 12:47 AM
"Al Zarooni was brought in by Sheikh Mohammed to give Saeed Bin Suroor, his main trainer for the previous decade, some competition and, initially, seemed to be doing so."

Was there some chance of getting away with this? If not, what was the point?

Some_One
04-23-2013, 03:02 AM
We'll see the difference there versus US racing, my guess is a 1 yr suspension and no months and months of appeals etc. Contrast that to the US where I think Rudy Rodriguez is just starting a suspension for a 2010 test I believe.

iceknight
04-23-2013, 03:30 AM
Well, the big question is.. we cannot prove if he was doping his horses during training before the St. Leger... I am just referring in particular to Encke,here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUHQhT_xrZI

So, while Ben Johnson was stripped of his Olympic medals.. Camelot may not get the Triple Crown (with an asterisk of course), :P

tholl
04-23-2013, 08:00 AM
We'll see the difference there versus US racing, my guess is a 1 yr suspension and no months and months of appeals etc. Contrast that to the US where I think Rudy Rodriguez is just starting a suspension for a 2010 test I believe.

Can't imagine that Sheikh Mohammed can continue to use him as his trainer? Don't think anyone else could take him so would imagine he is done.

lamboguy
04-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Can't imagine that Sheikh Mohammed can continue to use him as his trainer? Don't think anyone else could take him so would imagine he is done.does anyone think for one second that Mohammed didn't know his horses were getting help?

tholl
04-23-2013, 08:20 AM
does anyone think for one second that Mohammed didn't know his horses were getting help?

I might be realy naive but I cannot imagine that if he knew what they had got he would have allowed it. I mean really, the risk is so high. They may get other stuff but steroids is just crazy.

UK View
04-23-2013, 09:07 AM
does anyone think for one second that Mohammed didn't know his horses were getting help?

I just cannot believe for one second that Sheikh Mohammed would have had a clue about this. The risks involved are just too huge to contemplate! There is no way he would've taken a chance like this. Why would he want to/need to?

Al Zarooni is completely finished and will never train again I am sure.

PaceAdvantage
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
What is this HUGE RISK to a man who makes gobs and gobs of money every day selling oil?

People are talking about this huge risk. Will he lose his horses? Are they going to shut down Meydan? Cancel next year's Dubai World Cup? What's the HUGE risk really?

Some_One
04-23-2013, 10:50 AM
His horses are suspended from racing now, at least the ones from the yard in question, and will miss the Guineas and Oaks/Derby, that is a big deal to the Sheikh I think.

tholl
04-23-2013, 10:57 AM
For what it's worth his reputation is of greater importance to him than the money that may be lost here I believe.

PaceAdvantage
04-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Well then, one would think he would vet his trainers a little more carefully. I mean, this was a pretty big mistake to just happen by accident....ooops....I thought we could use this stuff between races....lol....really?

Seabiscuit@AR
04-23-2013, 11:16 AM
This is not the first positive test involving the Sheikh

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2009/apr/08/sheik-mohammed-doping-tahhan

tholl
04-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Well then, one would think he would vet his trainers a little more carefully. I mean, this was a pretty big mistake to just happen by accident....ooops....I thought we could use this stuff between races....lol....really?

I know you are being a little tongue in cheek, but yes, you'd think he would. Think rather than call it a pretty big mistake, "Catastrophic" as he described it might be more accurate.

You actually bring up a good point also I think. While Godolphin has had a lot of success I have always felt that Coolmore was more successful because they do find better people to be in their operation. From buying yearlings etc, to training and to stallion management. Certainly Goldophin has some good people in their organisation but I think they are far inferior overall to Coolmore's crew.

precocity
04-23-2013, 11:51 AM
I know i am not the only one that would bet on Al Zarooni horses no matter the odds? that some sad sheit thought Zarooni was above that!!and every one knows how rich Sheikh Mohammed is, he is probably pissed to the highest! Hell even win you win a world cup race when Sheikh Mohammed hands you the trophy he looks pissed off.

dkithore
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Let's be realistic here. steroids in sports: baseball, cycling, horses, what's the difference? Human nature: greed, cheating and powers are age old happenings. The issue before a handicapper is, how does I benefit by this information? How will other trainers benefit by this information? A little logic and a little extrapolation on our part can lead to some possible opportunities (short term) as a member of wagering public.

This apparent fatalist viewpoint is a realistic viewpoint. No one is going to stop betting because of fradulant practices of a trainer, No change will occur in Godolphin outfit. They are too big and influential than we know. For instance, another trainer for the same outfit, Peter Snowden was punished for similar illegal actions in Australia. He paid the fine, apologized to the commission and has won many races since. So, IMO all the buzz is good but the bottom line is, can I benefit from this info.and how.

holmmd
04-23-2013, 10:05 PM
The trainer would be crazy to do something like that w/o some sort of authority (implied, indirect or otherwise). You don't mess w/ guys w/ that kind of power.

chadk66
04-23-2013, 10:19 PM
I will guarantee you the Sheik knew.

MightBeSosa
04-24-2013, 12:29 AM
Really though, how did they think they could pass a random test that they knew could come.

Could be they had someone in their back pocket that called in sick that day.

dkithore
04-24-2013, 04:01 AM
For what it's worth, Zarroni and Godolphin entries are missing fromUK Epsom races today. Bet it's shaking and baking time.

horses4courses
04-24-2013, 11:26 AM
A statement today from the Sheikh:

http://www.godolphin.com/news/latest-news/article/6943/His-Highness-Sheikh-Mohammed-Bin-Rashid-Al-Maktoum-Statement

Producer
04-24-2013, 06:07 PM
This is not the first positive test involving the Sheikh

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2009/apr/08/sheik-mohammed-doping-tahhan

Yeah, this. I can't believe nobody is talking about previous violations involving Godolphin horses. The Sheik himself was suspended for 6 months when a horse HE WAS RIDING in an endurance race tested positive for 2 steroids, including one of the same steroids these new horses tested positive for. Coincidence? I think not.

iceknight
04-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Yeah, this. I can't believe nobody is talking about previous violations involving Godolphin horses. The Sheik himself was suspended for 6 months when a horse HE WAS RIDING in an endurance race tested positive for 2 steroids, including one of the same steroids these new horses tested positive for. Coincidence? I think not. Yeah.. from the 2009 article:
"The news comes as the Sheikh's string of horses, which race under the Godolphin banner, returns to Newmarket this week to be trained for the British Flat racing season. Princess Haya, who has led a campaign to eliminate doping from equestrian sports, owned last year's Derby winner, New Approach."

""For his own satisfaction and the welfare of the horses, His Highness has instigated a widespread internal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the cases, the results of which will be shared with the IEF.""

But you know what: "Money Talks" ... and we are talking $10 million in a single race type money here (isn't the whole dubai event close to $39 mil purses?). Don't think much will happen to Godolphin. But I am sure some new jobs for vets and analytical chemistry experts will open up soon!

PaceAdvantage
04-25-2013, 03:24 AM
A statement today from the Sheikh:

http://www.godolphin.com/news/latest-news/article/6943/His-Highness-Sheikh-Mohammed-Bin-Rashid-Al-Maktoum-Statement"Dope testing?"

Is he talking about the horses or his replacement trainer?

UK View
04-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Al Zarooni banned for 8 years.

No messing about there!! Swift action.

All horses involved banned for 6 months.

nearco
04-25-2013, 01:55 PM
8 year ban for Al Zarooni!!!!! :eek:

The 15 horses have been banned from racing for 6 months (early Oct), so they for all intents and purposes miss the whole racing season in Europe. Certify was top ranked 3yo filly and fav for the Guineas and Oaks.

Some_One
04-25-2013, 02:03 PM
This shows how much of a joke US racing is when it comes to these issues, in a span of 2 weeks the case is closed with real penalties handed out to trainer and owner.

Is the Dutrow lifetime ban official yet? Or is it still in its many appeals?

Tom
04-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Kudos!
THIS is how you clean up the game and stop cheating.

It is only a question of do they want to clean it up - I can assume NO , they do not, here at home.

This ruling speaks volumes about US racing.

Longshot6977
04-25-2013, 03:26 PM
You can read about it here.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/77787/al-zarooni-gets-8-year-suspension?source=rss

chadk66
04-25-2013, 03:59 PM
talk about making a point. I would love to see this kind of punishment in this country. they need national standards, national testing and national punishment.

Producer
04-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Sad thing about this whole story is ,once again, the little guy takes the blame, while the ones calling the shots get to pretend they had no clue what was going on. What a joke!

This guys career and possibly his life has been ruined when all he was doing was following protocol.

Money talks.....

dkithore
04-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Sad thing about this whole story is ,once again, the little guy takes the blame, while the ones calling the shots get to pretend they had no clue what was going on. What a joke!

This guys career and possibly his life has been ruined when all he was doing was following protocol.

Money talks.....

I couldn't agree more. What about the owner? How about his punishment?

nearco
04-25-2013, 08:46 PM
I couldn't agree more. What about the owner? How about his punishment?

15 of his best horses have been banned from racing for what amounts to the whole season. That's gotta hurt a bit, don't you think?

The trainer is the one responsible. He admitted his responsibility. Why would the owner be punished beyond having his horses banned? Do you have evidence that he was the one calling the shots? If all Godolphin horses are being doped, then why haven't Saeed bin Suroor's horses turned up positive for steriods? How about other trainers that train for Sheik Mo?

Fager Fan
04-25-2013, 09:02 PM
15 of his best horses have been banned from racing for what amounts to the whole season. That's gotta hurt a bit, don't you think?

The trainer is the one responsible. He admitted his responsibility. Why would the owner be punished beyond having his horses banned? Do you have evidence that he was the one calling the shots? If all Godolphin horses are being doped, then why haven't Saeed bin Suroor's horses turned up positive for steriods? How about other trainers that train for Sheik Mo?

Have they been tested?

I keep hearing that this testing was the result of a positive from last year. The hearing on that positive was Aug. 16, 2012. And they finally give this stable, one of the largest in the sport, an OOC drug test 9 months later? So how long does it take to get around to OOC testing of stables who weren't found to have given an opiate painkiller to two horses?

nearco
04-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Have they been tested?

I keep hearing that this testing was the result of a positive from last year. The hearing on that positive was Aug. 16, 2012. And they finally give this stable, one of the largest in the sport, an OOC drug test 9 months later? So how long does it take to get around to OOC testing of stables who weren't found to have given an opiate painkiller to two horses?

Yes, Suroor's horses have been tested in training in the past by the BHA.
The timing may have to do with the horses being in the UAE for six months and only recently getting back to England. But the idea of OOC testing is that it be random and without warning.

Fager Fan
04-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Yes, Suroor's horses have been tested in training in the past by the BHA.
The timing may have to do with the horses being in the UAE for six months and only recently getting back to England. But the idea of OOC testing is that it be random and without warning.

That's a pretty vague defense. When exactly were Suroor's horses tested? What about the other trainers in Europe?

nearco
04-25-2013, 11:30 PM
That's a pretty vague defense. When exactly were Suroor's horses tested? What about the other trainers in Europe?

A vague defense of what? :confused: You asked if they were tested. The BHA says they have been. You could email them and ask for specifics if you'd like. They perform hundreds of these OOC tests every year.
What about other trainers in Europe? What? :confused:

iceknight
04-26-2013, 12:36 AM
That's a pretty vague defense. When exactly were Suroor's horses tested? What about the other trainers in Europe?I think nearco is just informing the details. He is not defending. The law firm Dewey, Cheatum and Howe are the ones you should direct queries to. (stole this)

Some_One
04-26-2013, 03:45 AM
If Sajjhaa (Dubai Duty Free winner) can pass the tests in Hong Kong for this weekends QEII, then I'm sure she and the rest of Bin Suroor's horses are probably ok.

tholl
04-30-2013, 09:47 AM
http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/article/465/8681852/bha-al-zarooni-deliberately-flouted-rules

Lifetime ban would be more fitting I think.

iceknight
05-22-2013, 12:14 PM
So you can keep the purse but just pay $250 in fines? And of course, 10,000's or more of bettors' money goes to cheats who may know about an injected horse or to unsuspecting others too!

http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-commissioner-agrees-forfeiting-purse-not-intended-be-mandatory

pondman
05-22-2013, 12:49 PM

This wouldn't be illegal in most U.S. jurisdictions. As long as you meet the withdrawal date for a race, you can pump and sell your animals in the U.S. Who doesn't do this?