PDA

View Full Version : Horses names in flats.....

wiffleball whizz
04-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Here's a question that I've gotten 4 different answers from 4 different people....

April 27th race 3 at Atlantic city racecourse there is a horse named dollar bill....it was before my time but I'm pretty sure there was a horse trained by I think Dallas Stewart that was racing in the triple crown series....

I googled this and the horse is dead.....is there a rule about this if a name can come back into play after a x amount of years? Very curious about this

duncan04
04-22-2013, 01:03 AM
According to pedigreequery.com, there have been 5 horses named Dollar Bill. Three of those have ran in the U.S. One born in 1971, one in 1998 and the last in 2007. So I am sure that after a certain number of years after the horses death the name gets released with the exception of horses like Secretariat and such

wiffleball whizz
04-22-2013, 01:32 AM
According to pedigreequery.com, there have been 5 horses named Dollar Bill. Three of those have ran in the U.S. One born in 1971, one in 1998 and the last in 2007. So I am sure that after a certain number of years after the horses death the name gets released with the exception of horses like Secretariat and such

Funny u say that cuz thats the same exact name that came to mind.....wonder what the criteria is for retiring a horses name

tzipi
04-22-2013, 01:45 AM
I think this is the Dollar Bill we all remember...
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=4471791&registry=T

nijinski
04-22-2013, 02:04 AM
The Jockey Club has updated lists of protected names and also reserved names .
They have alot of rules , that's why I find it funny when some strange
names come out .

Our Derby winners , are all on the protected list so they can't be repeated .
You can find the rules at the their website .

Loved Dollar Bill , such a popular horse too , died way too young .

Stillriledup
04-22-2013, 02:35 AM
Killer Diller is running at Finger Lakes in a few days. He's a 5 year old by Congrats.

There used to be a Killer Diller who ran in NY a few decades ago.

wiffleball whizz
04-22-2013, 03:48 AM
I think this is the Dollar Bill we all remember...
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=4471791&registry=T

Yep this horse took me down the drain start after start after start.....horse was like union rags always got himself into trouble...

It's a dead heat between who buried me more dollar bill or sun king....to this day if afleet Alex fell down I think I cash for 30k in that Preakness had $20 tris with gaicomo on top of sun king and a few other horses....

Maybe I can get the money back I lost with dollar bill 10 years ago with the new edition of dollar bill

Thanks for the clarification on this!!!!

Rise Over Run
04-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Names can be re-used 5 years after the horses reported death, provided that name doesn't meet additional exclusions, such as:

13. Names of winners in the past 25 years of grade one stakes races;

14. Permanent names. The list of criteria to establish a permanent name is as follows:
a. Horses in racing's Hall of Fame;
b. Horses that have been voted Horse of the Year;
c. Horses that have won an Eclipse Award;
d. Horses that have won a Sovereign Award (Canadian Champions);
e. Annual leading sire and broodmare sire by progeny earnings;
f. Cumulative money winners of $2 million or more;
g. Horses that have won the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont Stakes, The Jockey Club Gold Cup, the Breeders' Cup Classic or the Breeders' Cup Turf; and
h. Horses included in the International List of Protected Names.

It can be found on the Jockey Club website: http://www.jockeyclub.com/registry.asp?section=3#six

Valuist
10-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Fun race for Durkin this Saturday. In the 3rd race, there's one horse named Katmanstu and another in the same race called Cat Man Fu. I'm guessing Durkin is hoping Cat Man Fu doesn't draw into the body of the race.