PDA

View Full Version : What have you done for me lately...

sq764
02-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Boy how times can change:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=21&u=/ap/20040215/ap_on_re_us/firefighters_tarnished_image_2

PaceAdvantage
02-16-2004, 12:55 PM
You mean those guys are HUMAN after all? What a shocker!

sq764
02-16-2004, 01:26 PM
I think they were glamorized a little too much for what they did, but in the same sense, they are treated too harshly when they act like a lot of our society does..

JustRalph
02-16-2004, 03:21 PM
PA .......you said it all...........

You guys haven't been to a party until cops and fireman are putting it together................

sounds like they have been doing their fair share of partying in NY. who the hell can blame them..........

sq764
02-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Well, if fireman partying includes bashing one of your own into a coma, leave me out..

PaceAdvantage
02-16-2004, 03:54 PM
People from ALL professions regularly bash other people's skulls in on a day in day out basis all over the world....what's the point?

sq764
02-16-2004, 04:04 PM
No point, PA. It's all good. I guess I don't read enough articles where work peers beat each other into comas. I should know it's a more regular occurence than I thought.

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Skull bashers come from all walks of life dontcha know?

Firemen do have easy access to axes though, so I'd probably look out for them.....other than that, they're no different than you or I, only braver.

bill
02-17-2004, 08:36 PM
if i am to be arrested i dont want a drunk policeman to do it

also if my house om fire dont want drunks or druggies to come to my aid

the article says on duty not rite i dont understand some peoples belief on this board

JustRalph
02-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Skull bashers come from all walks of life dontcha know?

Firemen do have easy access to axes though, so I'd probably look out for them.....other than that, they're no different than you or I, only braver.

I wouldn't condone the activity on duty......either......

On PA's point.....about Axes.....you haven't had backup on a dangerous call until you call for help, and the fire department engine pulls up and 3 or 4 fireman step off the truck with axes...........the crowd tends to calm down real fast.........

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Bill,

Nobody said that what happened in this particular incident was right.

However, it's an isolated incident, not one epidemic among firefighters....

Why does every obvious thing need to be spelled out these days?

sq764
02-17-2004, 09:08 PM
PA, they aren't like you or I.. I am not drunk at work..

How would you like to see a drunken firefighter driving his firetruck on the streets?

I mean are you for real?

bill
02-17-2004, 09:18 PM
reread the article not isolated i dont think

but common

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Again, everything needs to be spelled out...must be the weather:

I know of one person I work with who gets drunk at work at least twice a week.

I know people who know people at their jobs who hit the drinks at lunch a bit too much.

Lots of people in lots of different professions are either drunk or high on the job.

I betcha firefighters are no more or less than the norm.

And yes, I am for real.

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by bill
reread the article not isolated i dont think

but common

Firefighters commonly get drunk and beat each others skulls in on a regular basis? I think not sir!

Do you know how many PROFESSIONAL firefighters there are in NYC alone? Add in all the volunteer guys.

Now, in that article, they mention maybe 5 guys who have been caught with their pants down....BIG DEAL!

Tom
02-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage

Why does every obvious thing need to be spelled out these days?

Speaking as a born-again liberal democtate, I think it is because of all the lies the damn comservatives on this board keep
spreading. You just don't know what crap they will come up with next. We clear thinking liberals have to be alert to the hidden agendas of the right wingers.
Obviously, the fact that firefighters are under a lot of stress 24x7, risk life and limb for total strangers, blindly ignore immenent danger rather than abandon helpless victims, how could any of that cause an occasional temper flare up?
There is probably a cover up here by Bush, since he has been known to hang around with firefighters.
When Kerry gets elected, things will be differnet, you'll see.
I bet he appoints Jane Fonda as a special investigater.;)

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Ahhh, the voice of reason. Man these "Kerry/Fonda '04" posters are harder to make than I thought!

sq764
02-17-2004, 09:29 PM
PA, tell me why firefighters are braver than the average person?

They get paid to do a job, correct?

I agree that every occupation has it's drunks and druggies.. No doubt.

But if you don't think there is a real problem among cops and firefighters, I have to wonder if you ever read the paper. Are you just oblivious to the corruption that goes on? (Yeah, I know, politicians are corrupt, etc...)..

The point I was trying to make was that because 'we' empower these positions, they take advantage of them and think they are above the law.. It creates a horrible image to the public, who is supposed to trust these people.

bill
02-17-2004, 09:30 PM
my opine

this thread stinks with lame humor

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by sq764
The point I was trying to make was that because 'we' empower these positions, they take advantage of them and think they are above the law.. It creates a horrible image to the public, who is supposed to trust these people.

It only creates a horrible image to the ignorant who believe this type of behavior represents the majority in this profession.

And yes, they most certainly are braver than the average person. There are plenty of jobs at the same pay level which don't entail the same risk. This is obvious, correct?

Tom
02-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Who makes more, a fireman or A-Rod?
A-Rod, correct?
Who do you want to come if your house is on fire?:D

Tom
02-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by sq764
PA, tell me why firefighters are braver than the average person?

The average person doesn't run into burnig buildings.
The average person doesn't list "death" as a possible afternoon activity every day.
The average person doens' t go out in sub-zero temperatures and play with hoses.
The average person didn't run TOWARDS two burning towers, knowing full well they had no chance to put out that fire.
The averge person wasn't going Up the stairs in those two towers.
The average person kicks back after a hard day of filing papers, making phone calls, showing off new cars, not carrying out bodies burnt beyond recognition, or wathcing people hand out of windows with flames scorching their back screaming for help, or pleading with a person not to jump to his death before you can get to them-and then watching the do it.
The average person wasn't dodging falling bodies to get the the second tower.
And you want to hear the most sickening one of all?
The average person makes a hell of a lot more money than a fireman.
(Substitute policeman, EMT, soldier, etc.)
That's why.

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2004, 10:47 PM
This all should be obvious, should it not? BTW, thanks for the list...you can add to it any time.

sq764
02-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Who do you want coming to your house? A-Rod or a drunken firefighter?

NEITHER!

sq764
02-17-2004, 10:56 PM
The average person makes MUCH more than a teacher.. What is your point?

Is it more important to educate the youths of America or to put out fires? Is one more important than the other? Is physically saving a life (out of a burning building) more important than teaching a child not to use drugs or teaching him to add?

I just don't get the rationalizations here.

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Hmmm....I'm getting a serious case of deja vu!

Nothing more needs to be explained. If you don't get it, then that's fine with me.

sq764
02-17-2004, 11:03 PM
I forgot, you are the board owner, so you are right. I am wrong..

Forgot the rules.

<bowing in progress as we speak>

schweitz
02-18-2004, 12:08 PM
So now it's ok to take shots at the "board owner" if you have differing opinions? Cheap!

sq764
02-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Not taking shots at all. He has the attitude on this issue that 'I just don't get it', I have the attitude that I get what he's saying and I just disagree with it.

I don't care if he agrees with me, yet he is not wrong if he does not.

PaceAdvantage
02-18-2004, 01:37 PM
OR, maybe, we're both misunderstanding each other, which is OK.

Either way, I'm done.

sq764
02-18-2004, 02:10 PM
You're probably right.. I think somewhere along the way our points got muddled into opinions.. And it just gets worse from there..

(Frankly, I cannot even remember the original point of the thread :-)