PDA

View Full Version : SLEW'S FAST HORSES FOR THUR. 04/18

MeSlew
04-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Hello All! For Thursday the 18th of April, here are the tracks and notable races from Slew:

Aqueduct - 1,2,4,6,7,8
Santa Anita - 1,2,4,5,6,7,8
Keeneland - 4,5,6,7,8
Pimlico - 4,5,7
Calder - 3,5,6,7

Also for Thursday we have a Key Horse running:

Divine Luck - Aqu ( 7) GP 12/01/12 # 1

At 5-1 on the ML, this runner should be looked at in this Optional Claimer N1X worth 67K of inflated VLT purse.

Now I'm not sure what to tell you about her and I won't be handicapping this race so I'll stick with an overview.
She comes to us via her maiden win on 12/1 at Gulfstream. Her next run made my short list (see my blog entry for all the notes), but not necessarily because of her:
January 13, 2013 Race 8 - Shug's Devine Luck (Castellano) had just broken her maiden on 12/1/2012 and in this N1X money allowance
on the turf, found the lead only to be closely spied the entire way by Nayarra (Motion) and Edgar Prado. The stretch was not kind
to her and while Nayarra was fixin' to go by…something strange happened: Inaugurate nipped Nayarra at the wire in a blanket finish
while Devine Luck finished 7th by about 2 lengths. The official margin of victory was a neck...

Inaugurate has since finished 3rd in an allowance on 2/24 and 2nd in a stake at Tampa on 4/6. It should be noted that the fractions on 1/13 were fairly severe, especially the interior ones. That turf was a paved highway which you will not see tomorrow at Aqueduct. They went 1:34.65 in Jan for the mile. By contrast, today the boys in an AlwOC went 1:35.58.

Lezcano gets the call this time and maybe he can relax her. Note also that the single Slew runner is Kimmel's Kibosh. And finally, check the 6/7/2012 entry at the bottom of the Tellers Window on Slew's front page for an interesting side note.

Enjoy the Thursday racing...good luck and good 'capping!

pandy
04-18-2013, 07:41 AM
I picked Kibosh as one of my Best Bets today but Divine Luck does have a shot if he fires his best shot and Kibosh bounces or gets a bad trip.

When evaluating favorites, one of the things that I feel is the most important is looking at averages. In a turf route, the best "averages" are late speed and speed figure. Kibosh clearly has the best "average" speed figure and his late speed averages are also strong in this race. Divine Luck's averages are as good or better than the other horses in the race, so if Kibosh gets a rough trip or bounces and Divine Luck gets a good trip he has a shot. But if Kibosh fires and gets a good trip he's going to be very tough to beat.

Averages are strong indicators, better than picking out one paceline.

Some_One
04-18-2013, 07:47 AM
:8: at 10s for me

jerry-g
04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
I like the 6 Riolama. Hes been off for 3 mos but he has
averaged 16F in works over the past 30 days. He also
has come in 2nd within 2L in a race at todays class level
and distance.

pandy
04-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Your 6 raced gamely, brutal trip. Kibosh had a dream trip but I'll take it, 8-5 was fair odds.