PDA

View Full Version : James Quinn - Fillies vs. Colts

karlskorner
02-16-2004, 09:17 AM
www.turfpedia.com/playing_the_races/fillies_vs_colts.html

jotb
02-18-2004, 06:48 AM
Hello Karl:

That was an interesting article. I would just like to elaborate on this topic. The paddock and walking ring can also provide the handicapper with additional hints. If you have a 3yo colt and the colt comes out strutting like the boss of the world and annoys the older girl in the walking ring or post parade, and if she flattens her ears, swings her head and pops her tail at his approach, his strutting will diminish at once. She probably has him beaten. The same thing may happen during the race. If so, she will intimidate him in subsequent races if she is able to get near him. His only hope is to leave the gate in a hurry and runaway from her. She has awakened his memories of female authority. On the other hand, if a colt encounters a romantically inclined filly in the paddock and you see them extending their noses towardeach other, you can write them off. Their mind are not on the race.

A 3yo colt arrives from the barn to be saddled. He shows all the sign of studdishness (the thickening neck and shoulders, the proud prancing and nickering to announce that here comes the bigshot of the group). A couple of horses later comes another colt, like minded. The newcomer nickers, " I'm the bigshot here. Anybody care to argue?" The first one bellows, "You better believe I do!" Now the uproar. Both colts kick their stalls and give the handlers a difficult time. The rest of the field becomes apprehensive, wanting to stay clear of the trouble that surely will arise if the two colts get close to one another. If the rest of the horses are 3yo geldings and fillies, the race virtually ends before it starts. The two studs race head and head on the lead from beginning to end, with the others at a respectful distance. On the other hand, if the field includes an older male or mare, the probabilities are that neither will be intimidated by adolescent silliness. If either is a closing type of runner and un decent form, it will nail the two bigshots in the stretch, beating them to the finish line.

Best regards,
Joe