PDA

View Full Version : Pure Fun in Lexington Stakes.. "wild card" Oaks points?

Leparoux
04-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Although Pure Fun is on the bubble for making the Oaks, she could enhance her eligibility with a big run in the Lexington, which is worth 34 “wild card” points (20-8-4-2). Oaks points can be earned by a filly in races open to male runners, whereas points earned in filly-only races cannot be used by fillies toward the Derby.

http://www.drf.com/news/keeneland-notes-pure-fun-lexington

These "Wild Card" points are interesting.

Leparoux
04-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Does this mean fillies can qualify for the Oaks while trying to qualify for the Derby in male prep races? Does anyone know more about the wild card points?

rastajenk
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
There's nothing to know about the Wild Cards. They're just two (Kentucky) races that have had an impact on the Derby field once in a while in the past, and were given their due in the Points format. That McPeek is using one for his filly just means that he has looked at all the angles, and found one he can use.

PhantomOnTour
04-16-2013, 12:31 PM
I hope she makes the Oaks - it's a race filled with speed and she is one of only a few closers who may run.

She's worth a look if she gets in, imo.

burnsy
04-17-2013, 07:55 AM
What,,,,? a derby prep with a filly that might get derby points and qualify for the derby if thats what they wanted to do. Theres a whole thread of people bitching in the Triple Crown section that the derby point system isn't fair for fillies. Gee, i wonder if they informed the connections that its "not fair".........:)

Leparoux
04-17-2013, 11:52 AM
What,,,,? a derby prep with a filly that might get derby points and qualify for the derby if thats what they wanted to do. Theres a whole thread of people bitching in the Triple Crown section that the derby point system isn't fair for fillies. Gee, i wonder if they informed the connections that its "not fair".........:)
That is kind of what I was thinking as well.

Valuist
04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
McPeek was on HRTV the other day and said he wanted to get another start into her before the KY Oaks. Can get some good conditioning in running over that tiring surface.

Fager Fan
04-17-2013, 07:10 PM
That is kind of what I was thinking as well.

Except they're not even thinking of the Derby but instead going for Oaks points (if needed) and getting another race in her.

This is hardly the prime spot for prepping one's Derby horse.