PDA

View Full Version : Man commits suicide at NRA sponsored NASCAR event

PhantomOnTour
04-15-2013, 01:43 PM
...by shooting himself in the head in the infield at the Texas Motor Speedway.

The irony is so thick i can touch it...only in Texas

TJDave
04-15-2013, 01:58 PM
The irony is so thick i can touch it

I don't see it. Could you walk me through it?

PhantomOnTour
04-15-2013, 02:00 PM
a man was killed by a gun at an NRA sponsored event...

and you can't find the irony ??
(maybe i can't spot the sarcasm :D )

(gee - if only there had been more armed citizens at this race - maybe they could have put a stop to the threat)
:lol:

horses4courses
04-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Ever feel like you're a condom salesman pitching to the Vatican?

PhantomOnTour
04-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Ever feel like you're a condom salesman pitching to the Vatican?
Ever feel like your knee jerk political nerve prevents you from seeing some things for what they are?
It's the gleaming gem of irony - appreciate that - and move on.

Ya know - like a heart surgeon dying of a massive coronary at a cardiologists convention

TJDave
04-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Had the race been sponsored by the Suicide Prevention Society...That would have been ironic.

horses4courses
04-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Ever feel like your knee jerk political nerve prevents you from seeing some things for what they are?
It's the gleaming gem of irony - appreciate that - and move on.

Ya know - like a heart surgeon dying of a massive coronary at a cardiologists convention

I fully appreciate the irony, sir.

The NRA and Nascar?
A match made in heaven......

Tom
04-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Is it your intention to demean those who are NASCAR fans?
Do these people not live up to your standards?

horses4courses
04-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Is it your intention to demean those who are NASCAR fans?
Do these people not live up to your standards?

Neither NASCAR, nor the NRA, are organizations that I would identify with.
It's my belief that there are good and bad people in all walks of life.

Just because I don't happen to like the "sport", does not mean all it's fans are bad people.
My kind of racing involves four hooves and a jockey.

JustRalph
04-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Neither NASCAR, nor the NRA, are organizations that I would identify with.
It's my belief that there are good and bad people in all walks of life.

Just because I don't happen to like the "sport", does not mean all it's fans are bad people.
My kind of racing involves four hooves and a jockey.

Ever been to a NASCAR race?

horses4courses
04-15-2013, 10:13 PM

Nope.

TJDave
04-15-2013, 11:18 PM
You should go.

I'd been a racing fan all my life, mainly open-wheel and had dismissed stock car as lowbrow...until I experienced it up close and personal.

I was wrong...It's the real deal. Compared to NASCAR, F1 drivers are pussies.

horses4courses
04-15-2013, 11:34 PM
You should go.

I'd been a racing fan all my life, mainly open-wheel and had dismissed stock car as lowbrow...until I experienced it up close and personal.

I was wrong...It's the real deal. Compared to NASCAR, F1 drivers are pussies.

In my early teens, as a Boy Scout in Ireland, I went to a demolition derby type deal during a summer camp in Scotland. I've never been the type to get headaches easily, but I got the worst splitting headache from noise and fumes that day that I've ever had. That turned me off motor sports big time.

Have plenty of friends who are into it - mainly motorbikes, though.
Never did anything for me.

PaceAdvantage
04-16-2013, 12:20 AM
a man was killed by a gun at an NRA sponsored event...

and you can't find the irony ??
(maybe i can't spot the sarcasm :D )

(gee - if only there had been more armed citizens at this race - maybe they could have put a stop to the threat)
:lol:Actually, he was killed by HIMSELF...the gun didn't sneak up on him and shoot him in the head...understanding that simple point will make your future contributions more palatable.

Steve 'StatMan'
04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
I haven't read anything about a motive, or if he left a note, or if he did any pre-suicide actions in front of the crowd to draw attention. His reasons are his own and involve the state of his mind in the recent time up to his suicide. Who knows. Glad he didn't physically injure someone else, but am concerned he might have through a fluke, if nothing else. Who knows, maybe he knew he wasn't right, or had a short time, and figured being at an exciting event was like going out on a high point, esp. if he was a loner. Maybe we'll learn later, maybe we'll never know.

P.S. I'm not glad at all that he might have scarred a few people mentally, be it the fans around him, or any family he may have had.

PhantomOnTour
04-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Actually, he was killed by HIMSELF...the gun didn't sneak up on him and shoot him in the head...understanding that simple point will make your future contributions more palatable.
I did understand that point (see post #1)...the :lol: emoticon meant that line was a joke (poking fun at those who always claim an armed good samaritan could have stopped the threat...in this case the guy woulda been shot twice :) )
In fact - that was the point of the thread - to jokingly poke fun at the " concealed carry guys"

it's been an emotional day

PaceAdvantage
04-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Is my sarcasm detector on the fritz too?

PhantomOnTour
04-16-2013, 12:36 AM
:Is my sarcasm detector on the fritz too?
Haaaa !...that's why i edited post #3 in this thread...in case i missed TJ Dave's sarcasm :D

Tom
04-16-2013, 03:05 PM

Never listens to FOX either, but that doesn't stop him from accusing them of things.

Valuist
04-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Actually, he was killed by HIMSELF...the gun didn't sneak up on him and shoot him in the head...understanding that simple point will make your future contributions more palatable.

One of the funniest posts of the year.

Lefty
04-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Right, there's no Irony because the man scripted his own end. The fact that anyone commits suicide ANYWHERE is tragic, not ironic.

PhantomOnTour
04-21-2013, 12:37 AM
One of the funniest posts of the year.
I agree - it's frickin hilarious because he totally missed the entire point of this thread, and apparently you did as well.
Read the OP and tell me i didn't know the guy shot himself.

you dudes are a hoot