PDA

View Full Version : ccc cleaner

judd
04-14-2013, 11:49 AM
when downloading ccc cleaner it asks filehippo or piriform ?
which one do I select (I have windows 8)

DJofSD
04-14-2013, 12:00 PM
You get the same download either way.

I use file hippo.

forced89
04-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Is this worth running and is it safe to run?

DJofSD
04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Is it worth using the tool? Sure. It cleans up stuff that just collects otherwise.

Is it safe? To a large part, yes. It does have features which can cause you problems if you don't know what you are doing.

Off the top of my head, there are the things that CCleaner will alter: registry, cookies, contents of certain folders, installed software. Altering these things is what CCleaner does. Learn to use them properly and it is a great tool.

Registry clean up is probably the safest. It will provide a back up file of whatever registry settings it is going to remove. If it turns out the registry needs to have those settings restore, it is a quick matter of clicking on the back up file in the Documents folder and have the regedit utility recover them for you.

The Cleaner function gives you lots of options most of which are relatively harmless. However, the few that could change your environment in a way you might regret do give you a warning ahead of time, giving you the chance to change your mind. If you don't understand what Windows nuance is being altered, just leave it alone until you getter understand the consequences, i.e. what will change, what will happen when it does, and, if you can put it back the way it was.

Be a little careful with Cleaner. Note carefully there are two tabs: Windows and Applications. While the launch of the application willl have some parts of Windows checked, it will also have some Applications boxes checked too. Before clicking on Analyze then Run Cleaner you should review the entire list under both tabs. It is easy to uncheck everything then just mess around with Windows Explorer clean up to gain some convidence.

Tools gives you a one-stop shop location for features which are available else where.

Options is a bit more than just ways to customize the tool itself. It has features which allow you to list cookies and indicate which ones you wish to save, an include/exclude setting for defining the scope of file, folders and registry settings affected by other CCleaner actions, and some nice "tweaks" to CCleaner under Advance.

Bottom line: normal usage of Windows along with incomplete clean up by various tools leaves a lot of garbage on you system. If you want to run a tight ship, you'll periodically swab the decks, take the slack out of lines, etc., and this tool will help you do it.

LottaKash
04-15-2013, 12:04 PM
I have been using C-Cleaner for many years now....And, I might add that this has been used on many different machines that I have owned as well as more than several iterations of Windows as well....To the best of my modest knowledge, I have never experienced a problem stemming from the use of Crap Cleaner....I recommend it highly....

Also, fwiw, "ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE 6" from Iobit.com(free versions) is also a very useful tool...It pretty much does what CC does and as far I can note, it is just as safe to use...I especially enjoy the automatic making of a new "restore point" with each use of a scan, and after a scan, it will automatically close up shop for the nite as well....I use this program more than CC....Still, you can't go wrong with either, or, using both together for an even cleaner machine...

Marshall Bennett
04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
I've used cleaner for several years without any issues. You do need to be aware of the functions and which ones suit your need. You can check which applications you want removed such as temporary files, cookies, content, ect. There's quite a list for each browser. There are a few I don't understand and found it's best to leave these checked until someone smarter than me explains them. I normally use Norton utilities to clean my registry.
There are certainly others here that have opinions more valuable than mine, but from what experience I've had with cleaner I'd recommend it.

Let's Roll
04-15-2013, 05:06 PM
I am a long time user of CCleaner on multiple machines. No problems that I am aware of.This last year I unchecked 2 boxes for the first time, " Widow Size/Location cache" & " Thumbnail cache"...but for those 2 I let it clean everything, about every other day.

BIG RED
04-15-2013, 10:07 PM
I have been using C-Cleaner for many years now....And, I might add that this has been used on many different machines that I have owned as well as more than several iterations of Windows as well....To the best of my modest knowledge, I have never experienced a problem stemming from the use of Crap Cleaner....I recommend it highly....

Also, fwiw, "ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE 6" from Iobit.com(free versions) is also a very useful tool...It pretty much does what CC does and as far I can note, it is just as safe to use...I especially enjoy the automatic making of a new "restore point" with each use of a scan, and after a scan, it will automatically close up shop for the nite as well....I use this program more than CC....Still, you can't go wrong with either, or, using both together for an even cleaner machine...

Exactly the two I use. Use CrapCleanner for quick cleanups the ASC for completes jobs

judd
04-16-2013, 05:11 AM
thanks, great explanations:ThmbUp: