PDA

View Full Version : Check out this "Bolting" Action

JustRalph
04-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Pim race 11

It gets good going into the final turn. Stay around for the head on view on the replay..........

http://youtu.be/FbH3N5VJzBE

What a ride!

Hat Tip: MG @gatetowire via twitter

johnhannibalsmith
04-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Holy crap. Balls like boulders... around the gate, loses the irons, and still all out to almost win... jumping jehova...

cj
04-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Wow, that jockey has balls for sure.

Vengeance of Rain
04-13-2013, 07:37 PM
That was awesome!

OCF
04-13-2013, 08:20 PM
I wish they had Trakus

nijinski
04-13-2013, 08:23 PM
http://youtu.be/wAhBhKqXSVo Javier had one too

nijinski
04-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Maybe Mary will take the blinkers off :lol: .

What a rodeo ride that was !

Maximillion
04-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Do you believe in miracles? :D

those fractions posted seem pretty wacky to me.

PhantomOnTour
04-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Wow, that jockey has balls for sure.
Yeah, he does - but they are bruised for sure.
Losing the irons can be murder on the wedding tackle.

What a ride

BlueChip@DRF
04-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Purple Egg(s) :)

iceknight
04-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Nice post! thanks for sharing

MightBeSosa
04-13-2013, 11:02 PM
At least 1 length the best.

Hey, you think this made the nightly news anywhere? Doesn't involve some moron ballplayer so prob not.

castaway01
04-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Wow, great video! Thanks for posting Ralph.

098poi
04-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Wow that's amazing no one was hurt. That horse running sideways and then on the other side of the starting gate! Glad everyone is OK.

nijinski
04-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Will he be put on a list now ?

JustRalph
04-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Will he be put on a list now ?

The jockey should be. Next years model for neuticles

SharpCat
04-14-2013, 02:45 AM
I actually hit the exacta with that horse. Can't imagine if you bet that horse to win. What a sick beat.

nijinski
04-14-2013, 02:49 AM

Looking at the replay , he gave that horse a little whippin for his antics ,
But all in all , could have been a disaster with a bigger field . Thankfully it wasn't .
I'd also appreciate it if a horseman would chime in Was it shadows was or something up with the bit ? Not like this horse was a head case before during a race .

nijinski
04-14-2013, 02:55 AM
I actually hit the exacta with that horse. Can't imagine if you bet that horse to win. What a sick beat.

And you you had to sit out an inquiry to boot .

PaceAdvantage
04-14-2013, 03:00 AM
Pim race 11

It gets good going into the final turn. Stay around for the head on view on the replay..........

What a ride!

Hat Tip: MG @gatetowire via twitterThat was sick! It's pretty amazing to see horses overcome crazy stuff like that and either win or come mighty close to winning...just goes to show you it just might be easier to win a race than people generally think... :lol:

All you need is a horse with determination... :eek:

nijinski
04-14-2013, 03:10 AM

That went right over my head till I googled .
No love for Javier ? Those are for pets :D

wisconsin
04-14-2013, 09:32 AM
That was nuts.

johnhannibalsmith
04-14-2013, 10:48 AM
...Was it shadows was or something up with the bit ? ...

Jockey Xavier Perez, who lost his stirrups during his mount’s lunge off the screen, told Eppler he thought the horse was reacting to the reflection of some water pooled between the dirt and turf courses when he bolted at the 5/16 pole. No one is sure what set Spicer Cub off at the 3/16 pole, although Eppler noted he seemed to follow the edge of the grandstand’s shadow following a correction from Perez.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/do-you-believe-in-miracles-maiden-runner-takes-harrowing-route-to-second/

nijinski
04-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Jockey Xavier Perez, who lost his stirrups during his mount’s lunge off the screen, told Eppler he thought the horse was reacting to the reflection of some water pooled between the dirt and turf courses when he bolted at the 5/16 pole. No one is sure what set Spicer Cub off at the 3/16 pole, although Eppler noted he seemed to follow the edge of the grandstand’s shadow following a correction from Perez.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/do-you-believe-in-miracles-maiden-runner-takes-harrowing-route-to-second/

Thanks JBS , Spooky boy begs for a big fat sheepskin shadow roll :) .

Helles
04-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Holy Cow!

pele polo
04-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Horse could have won by 10 or 12 or more.

Got a little hairy when he went between the gate and outer rail.

Xavier Perez should get a mountain of praise for not only avoiding catastrophe but still having the ability to try and win the race. Amazing.

jerry-g
04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
I wish they would make a movie of the event but there are no more
clowns in the country. They could name it, "Great Balls of Dire".

oddsmaven
04-14-2013, 01:59 PM
no excuse. :D

chadk66
04-14-2013, 02:25 PM
watching the head on he clearly spooked from the shadow cast by the starting gate. At least it appears to be the gate. It was a square shadow all across the track to the rail. about as long as the gate was. that's the most amazing thing I've ever seen in a race aside from a horse that hit a deer once at turfway park I believe.

Mr_Ed
04-14-2013, 05:33 PM
no excuse. :D

:D :D

Shelby
04-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Now THAT is a horse with heart that wanted to win!!!! Thanks for posting!!

Tom
04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
They were just showing it on HRTV - un-bee-leeeevable!
He had to sprout wings to clear that gate! :lol:

Mr_Ed
04-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Nice job by 'head-on' stretch camera man who, too............adjusted course to capture the great escape.

Looked like about 12 feet between the fence and starting gate.

racingfan378
04-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Arent there usually gate guys hanging around the gate when the horses come down the stretch at most tracks? Unless they walked away being the last race of the day. You know the guy in the tractor driving the gate must have been like WTF!

By far at 50 years of life was that the most amazing thing I have seen on a racetrack and the call was even better to boot! Youtube has 17k + hits as of this post

I also didn't know that PIM doesn't have anyone following the horses around the track, they have the medics parked at both chutes during a race. Didn't know that until they showed the head-on shots

PhantomOnTour
04-14-2013, 09:26 PM
If that horse had jumped the outer rail he would have been sitting in my Preakness Day seats...waaaaaayyyyy up the stretch :D

davew
04-14-2013, 10:27 PM
What caused the bolting? Was the horse afraid of the shadow?

I also have to wonder why the starting gate was still there - is a minute not enough time to get out of the stretch? (I understand that there are many people there at the start, and could easily get killed/ran over by the gate)

nijinski
04-14-2013, 10:41 PM
What caused the bolting? Was the horse afraid of the shadow?

I also have to wonder why the starting gate was still there - is a minute not enough time to get out of the stretch? (I understand that there are many people there at the start, and could easily get killed/ran over by the gate)
Some comments from the trainer and jockey post #23.

iceknight
04-15-2013, 01:02 AM
watching the head on he clearly spooked from the shadow cast by the starting gate. At least it appears to be the gate. It was a square shadow all across the track to the rail. about as long as the gate was. that's the most amazing thing I've ever seen in a race aside from a horse that hit a deer once at turfway park I believe. if you follow the youtube comment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FbH3N5VJzBE) thread, somebody is saying that this happens at least once a year...

"puchakaii 9 hours ago
At least once a year, a horse gets spooked by the shadow of the gate parked there. Might I suggest a little re-development so that there's a section of removable inside rail and a parking spot into which the gate can be rolled into after the start?"

wiffleball whizz
04-15-2013, 02:01 AM
What gets lost in the shuffle is the 12 clears out of the gate crosses over and of course goes from 5/2 to 2/1.....some things never change

PaceAdvantage
04-15-2013, 02:04 AM
Only on the internet does a drop from 2.5-1 to 2-1 get talked about... :lol:

wiffleball whizz
04-15-2013, 02:08 AM
Only on the internet does a drop from 2.5-1 to 2-1 get talked about... :lol:

Took me all of 4 minutes to get flamed on this forum!!!! Glad to be here

PaceAdvantage
04-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Took me all of 4 minutes to get flamed on this forum!!!! Glad to be hereConsider it part of the hazing process for new members...lol

Seriously though...given the magnitude of the most egregious after-the-bell odds drops, does 5/2 to 2/1 even merit a second thought? In fact, I dare say that kind of move would be considered not only quite normal, but almost expected...

racingfan378
04-15-2013, 02:24 AM
if you follow the youtube comment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FbH3N5VJzBE) thread, somebody is saying that this happens at least once a year...

"puchakaii 9 hours ago
At least once a year, a horse gets spooked by the shadow of the gate parked there. Might I suggest a little re-development so that there's a section of removable inside rail and a parking spot into which the gate can be rolled into after the start?"

I dont understand why the gate cant move from left to right, its always moving right to left and gets parked near the 3/16 at most tracks. If the gate moved past the finish then being "spooked" by the gate wouldnt happen during the running of the race

If you watch the replay that Pimlico stretch sure has lots of shadows where the grandstand begins and nearing the finish line

wiffleball whizz
04-15-2013, 02:29 AM
Consider it part of the hazing process for new members...lol

Seriously though...given the magnitude of the most egregious after-the-bell odds drops, does 5/2 to 2/1 even merit a second thought? In fact, I dare say that kind of move would be considered not only quite normal, but almost expected...

Hahahahaha in all honesty a drop from 5/2 to 2/1 is a walk in the park....

As a harness player this becomes a regular occurrence.....I was at harrahs Chester last wendsday and there was a recall....windows stay locked for the 3 minutes and it was a joy knowing odds wouldn't drop after race goes off!!!

As a harnes player I see 12/1 drop to 7/1 and 3/1s go to 7/5

Stillriledup
04-15-2013, 04:38 AM
Consider it part of the hazing process for new members...lol

And old members. ;)

Stillriledup
04-15-2013, 04:40 AM
Arent there usually gate guys hanging around the gate when the horses come down the stretch at most tracks? Unless they walked away being the last race of the day. You know the guy in the tractor driving the gate must have been like WTF!

By far at 50 years of life was that the most amazing thing I have seen on a racetrack and the call was even better to boot! Youtube has 17k + hits as of this post

I also didn't know that PIM doesn't have anyone following the horses around the track, they have the medics parked at both chutes during a race. Didn't know that until they showed the head-on shots

I'm not sure if that's the most bizarre thing i've ever seen in racing, but at the moment, i can't think of one that rivals this.

I agree with what you say and yes, the call was phenominal.

Mr_Ed
04-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Are we sure the horse that went around the starting gate is the same one that popped out?

Remember the 'fog' race?

Just sayin.

castaway01
04-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Are we sure the horse that went around the starting gate is the same one that popped out?

Remember the 'fog' race?

Just sayin.

Please tell me this is just a lame joke...

wiffleball whizz
04-15-2013, 12:50 PM
I'd be so sick if I had any kind of bet over $2 to win on this horse....how can u even figure out how much ground he lost on the bolt out and then when he wrapped around the gate?

And also great call my Rodman calling the 1 on the wire...could have easily been tied up from the stretch run

wiffleball whizz
04-15-2013, 12:54 PM
What was priceless is seeing the outriders horse take a back step as the 12 is barreling down the outside he was like WTF!!!!

Also look at the people down on the rail rooting there heart out prob is disbelief of what they were seeing

Mr_Ed
04-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Please tell me this is just a lame joke...

Sadly............yes.

:p

PhantomOnTour
05-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Spicer Cub is back!

Must see TV - race 1 at Pimlico today - post time 1:10pm eastern

7-2 ML odds - second choice in a field of six

iceknight
05-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Spicer Cub is back!

Must see TV - race 1 at Pimlico today - post time 1:10pm eastern

7-2 ML odds - second choice in a field of six I did.. and he ran well but managed to hold 2nd! Funny thing is I just stumbled upon the race on Twinspires then came searching for this old thread! you guys are troopers following this closely!

cj
05-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Ran like his old self, straight and slow.

precocity
05-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Pim race 11

What a ride!

Hat Tip: MG @gatetowire via twitter
how the hell did I miss this thread, dam what a crazy race but that jockey was pure gold trying to get that :12: to win. :eek:

iceknight
07-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Spicer Cub won today at DEL R5 (date: July 1, 2013) - and paid $ 20.. pretty good!

Free replays from DEL Park available at
http://www.delawarepark.com/race_day_audio.php

race caller (anyone what's his name? I think he called Barbaro's maiden too):

Spicer Cub, he is rallying and he is running straight and true today,, :lol:

wisconsin
07-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Spicer Cub won today at DEL R5 (date: July 1, 2013) - and paid $ 20.. pretty good!

Free replays from DEL Park available at
http://www.delawarepark.com/race_day_audio.php

race caller (anyone what's his name? I think he called Barbaro's maiden too):

Spicer Cub, he is rallying and he is running straight and true today,, :lol:

John Curran

iceknight
07-01-2013, 07:50 PM
John Curran thanks, he has a good voice and delivery!

Stillriledup
10-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Cubster running in 5 Mins at Laurel in the 11th, he's #7

JustRalph
10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
ran a good 2nd. didn't run the normal style either......... was much closer this time....... very useful horse. hard knocker......... :ThmbUp:

dkithore
10-20-2013, 04:24 AM

I could visualize what you wrote and LOL. Such fertile imagination!

johnhannibalsmith
10-24-2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/fan-favorite-spicer-cub-injured-expected-to-return-to-racing/

HUSKER55
10-24-2013, 12:22 PM
that was some ride!!!!! at bare minimum that jockey deserves an E for effort

Stillriledup
10-24-2013, 09:58 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/fan-favorite-spicer-cub-injured-expected-to-return-to-racing/

Glad to see the Cub is going to be ok. :ThmbUp: