PDA

View Full Version : Running for purse only

chadk66
04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
I was watching the races last night and I believe it was the 7th at Charlestown. The seven horse was shown scratched but raced. Apparently for purse only. I have never heard of this. Can anybody explain what the deal is with that?

Ted Craven
04-11-2013, 09:10 AM
7th race at PEN, horse #7. (http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=89653)

Nothing useful in the video replay or Result Chart. Perhaps in the local program, or pre-race commentary.

Actually never seen this before, but also curious why it would occur.

Ted

wisconsin
04-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Damn horse was first Lasix, I had him tri and super and win ticket before the "scratch". I don't understand. The announcement was made minutes before post time.

Magister Ludi
04-11-2013, 09:34 AM
In some jurisdictions, when a horse is scratched after betting opens for the race, it can be allowed to run for purse only.

Examples:

>>>one horse of a coupled entry is scratched (all money bet on the entry is refunded)

>>>last-minute equipment change

>>>tote failure

>>>late submission to the stewards of the horse’s proper documentation

>>>horse is mistakenly scratched by stewards

nearco
04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
More often than not it is some kind of equipment change that wasn't noted in the program or was noted but the horse turned up without it. Or it could be a medication given that wasn't noted, or noted and not given.
So to be fair to bettors the horse is taken out of betting consideration, but is allowed to run as it's not like he has gained some unfair advantage over the other horses.

wisconsin
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
it's not like he has gained some unfair advantage over the other horses.

No, but a horse like this can affect the outcome on horses with live money, such as the "other speed", etc. I do not believe a horse should ever run for purse money only.

vegasone
04-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Does happen occasionally. Equipment change sometimes, late or wrong scratch etc.

King David J, running for the lowest price of his career in the opener, is racing for purse money only in the opener, because the stewards were told after wagering had begun that the horse would be running without shoes. King David J, trained by Linda Rice,Ki has not been out since April 2.

racingfan378
04-12-2013, 11:03 PM
No, but a horse like this can affect the outcome on horses with live money, such as the "other speed", etc. I do not believe a horse should ever run for purse money only.

They do it in harness racing all the time and after watching this race, they were spread so far out that the horse didn't affect any pace of the race. It's a once in a blue moon event and probably just a mistake on a scratch horse therefore purse money only.

It's better than the stupid P4 or P6 rule in NY regarding 1-1A entries. How you would like to love the entry, one gets scratched late, then the other half runs for purse money only, wins and you get stuck with the post time favorite who doesn't win or even come close!! :mad: