PDA

View Full Version : Horse Racing & injuries

racingfan378
04-10-2013, 02:36 PM
General Question:

As a life long fan of this sport, how come it seems like over the last 15 years everyone is now talking about horse racing and the injuries race horses suffer from time to time?

I can remember growing up as a kid and seeing a horse put down without a tarp right in front of me, it seemed like everyone around me was saying "that sucks, but it's apart of the sport"

Now if that happens today, I've seen people leave the track upset at what they just saw, such as Eight Belles and other sad breakdowns. Is the outcry from people based on the fact we have the internet, more social media, cameras on cell phones? Basically where we can be heard as soon as we press the "enter" button instead of writing to the DRF and hoping they publish the letter.

I will say this, I am glad to see the sport of horse racing trying to clean up it's act to preserve the sport we all love on this site, but my question is just a general question. Why now and not before when breakdowns happened and the game today is a lot more safer than it was when I was growing up.

Sysonby
04-10-2013, 06:25 PM
I think there has been a shift generally in the public and the way they respond to these things. A lot of people may think PETA is over the top, but at the same time don't like to see an animal being put down when more could be done for their safety.