PDA

View Full Version : Spreadsheet S/W: confirmation regarding CSV importing

DJofSD
04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
I use Open Office Calc whenever I use a spreadsheet application which is rare.

So, a question for those well versed in things Excel, Calc or any other app.

I have done a minimal amount of searching of the internet looking for an answer to the following question: can OO Calc (or any other speadsheet app) perform an import of a CSV file AND put the data into different worksheets?

The implied answer appears to be no, not directly, either a macro is required, or, it needs to be imported into a database app first, or, separate CSV files need to be imported into separate worksheets manually.

Is my understanding more or less correct which is there is not any way to create a CSV file which will some how cause the import function of Calc to automatically create a new worksheet then import the next chunk of data into it, ad nauseum?

PeteKoch
04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
I use an Excel add-in called SMF (Stock Market Function) which has a built-in function to import CSV files. The name of the add-in describes its primary intended use, but its functions are not limited to financial applications.

It's free, it's solid, it's regularly upgraded and one can get lots of help getting started on the group site -- I've been using it for years. It's available at:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/smf_addin/

Please note that there might be a significant learning curve, especially if you are not well versed in Excel. Also, it is written specifically for Excel running on Windows -- no Macs, no Linux and no Open Office -- it's all Visual Basic code. It will not create a new worksheet; rather, the function must be array-entered into the cells of an existing worksheet.

PeteKoch
04-09-2013, 01:20 PM
One more thing: access to the CSV file can be via a local address on your PC or via URL.

DJofSD
04-09-2013, 05:35 PM
OK, I'll give that a look.

Thanks!

raybo
04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
I use an Excel add-in called SMF (Stock Market Function) which has a built-in function to import CSV files. The name of the add-in describes its primary intended use, but its functions are not limited to financial applications.

It's free, it's solid, it's regularly upgraded and one can get lots of help getting started on the group site -- I've been using it for years. It's available at:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/smf_addin/

Please note that there might be a significant learning curve, especially if you are not well versed in Excel. Also, it is written specifically for Excel running on Windows -- no Macs, no Linux and no Open Office -- it's all Visual Basic code. It will not create a new worksheet; rather, the function must be array-entered into the cells of an existing worksheet.

If it requires that VBA code run in the spreadsheet then "OO" can't be used for it. The VBA code would have to be re-written in the "scripting" language that OO uses.

I have always imported csv files, as they are, then write referencing formulas to put the data in other areas of the workbook, including other worksheets. This could be done in OO too, or any other spreadsheet app that imports csv's.

jerry-g
04-29-2013, 08:25 PM
I think this page may help as it seems to address the problem.

OpenOfficeTraining (http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2006/02/opening_csv_or_.html)