PDA

View Full Version : Is gulfstream doing the .10 cent pick 6 in July

Phantombridgejumpe
04-08-2013, 11:32 AM
as well?

Don't know how often Ill play, but it is a fun wager if not cost efficient.

Stillriledup
04-08-2013, 03:07 PM
July? Are they racing in July?

iceknight
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
July? Are they racing in July? yes, July 1st..

http://www.gulfstreampark.com/

Stillriledup
04-08-2013, 03:26 PM
yes, July 1st..

http://www.gulfstreampark.com/

Geez, i hear its hot in july in the summer.....when i think of Gulfstream i think of top jocks from up north, top barns, etc, i wonder what we're going to see there in July........Calder east?

Valuist
04-08-2013, 03:37 PM
It should be fun to see all the 4 horse fields as Calder and Gulfstream run simultaneously.

Remember when Calder literally ran two races simultaneously? They ran a grass race while a dirt race was going on. I see they haven't done that again.

Stillriledup
04-08-2013, 04:32 PM
It should be fun to see all the 4 horse fields as Calder and Gulfstream run simultaneously.

Remember when Calder literally ran two races simultaneously? They ran a grass race while a dirt race was going on. I see they haven't done that again.

RIGHT, great call, i forgot about that simultaneous race...... :D

Vinman
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
RIGHT, great call, i forgot about that simultaneous race...... :D
I believe it was billed as the world's fastest daily double. As for GP and Calder running against one another, it could be the world's fastest end to a race meet for one of those tracks. We shall see.

Stillriledup
04-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I believe it was billed as the world's fastest daily double. As for GP and Calder running against one another, it could be the world's fastest end to a race meet for one of those tracks. We shall see.

Its just one guy (stronach) trying to crush Calder (Churchill).

Battle of the titans!

Producer
04-08-2013, 11:07 PM
This will never actually happen. GP running in the summer makes no sense on any level.

SandyW
04-09-2013, 12:18 AM
This will never actually happen. GP running in the summer makes no sense on any level.

It has already been announced on the Gulfstream website that racing resumes at Gulfstream on July 1, 2013.

I don't think that they would make a statement like this if it was not true.

They would look pretty foolish to go out on a limb like that if they didn't have all the pieces in place.

Vinman
04-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Both CRC and GP are required by Fla. law to run the "collision course" dates they have each filed. Only way out might be Frankie's rumored 100MM+ offer to buy Calder from Churchill. But even if that were to happen, wouldn't CRC still have to run the dates that were filed?

What's Frankie's game plan....close Calder so he can attract customers to his shops at GP with live racing?

Vinman

redshift1
04-09-2013, 03:26 AM
This sorta explains things but not why.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/77259/gulfstream-park-awaiting-schedule-approval

OTM Al
04-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Interestingly Calder has the same sort of bet at a slightly lower takeout rate and yet no one seems to know or care. Fascinating.

JustRalph
04-09-2013, 04:26 PM
What effect does this have on Saratoga?

I think I would rather be in Upstate NY in July..........

Vinman
04-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Interestingly Calder has the same sort of bet at a slightly lower takeout rate and yet no one seems to know or care. Fascinating.

Hmmm....Now that one Churchill owned property has embraced the 10 cent Pick 6, can the Twin Spired Mothership itself be far behind?

Vinman

OTM Al
04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Hmmm....Now that one Churchill owned property has embraced the 10 cent Pick 6, can the Twin Spired Mothership itself be far behind?

Vinman

Evidently they had it since last May. Who knew......

therussmeister
04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
It has already been announced on the Gulfstream website that racing resumes at Gulfstream on July 1, 2013.

They would look pretty foolish to go out on a limb like that if they didn't have all the pieces in place.
They have already started on a project to improve the track's drainage system to handle the summer rains.

Producer
04-10-2013, 12:29 PM

So, where are all the horses going to come from to run at both Calder and GP? The FL bred 2yo's are going to run at Calder in the FL stallion stakes series, the older, local Jamaican and Spanish trainers that have run at Calder forever and fill most of the everyday races are going to continue to do so. Turf racing is almost non-existent down here in the summer and the top 2yo's and horses in general are owned by Northerners and they are going to want to see their horses at Saratoga.

So what does that leave? Peter Walder and his middle-level claimers? Is GP going to run a claiming level meet (with little turf racing, to boot)?

The shops at GP attract almost ZERO customers from the track. Maybe your once a meet type that wanders over for dinner after that one day at the races but the overwhelming majority of people who support South FL racing in the summer are the locals. The shops and restaurants are mostly expensive, overpriced, boutique type places that cater more towards the snowbirds (not even necessarily snowbirds who support racing) with money that frequent the Aventura and surrounding areas in the winter months.

The handle at the winter meet is huge because it's consistently the best racing in the country, with full, competitive fields and lots of turf racing. And the rainbow 6.

GP in the summer will NOT have full fields, much turf racing, good 2yo's, or much in the way of handle.

If this happens, it will have a devestating effect on South Florida racing and all parties involved know it. Again, anything is obviously possible but I highly highly doubt GP goes through with this when all is said and done.

Stillriledup
04-10-2013, 01:45 PM
So, where are all the horses going to come from to run at both Calder and GP? The FL bred 2yo's are going to run at Calder in the FL stallion stakes series, the older, local Jamaican and Spanish trainers that have run at Calder forever and fill most of the everyday races are going to continue to do so. Turf racing is almost non-existent down here in the summer and the top 2yo's and horses in general are owned by Northerners and they are going to want to see their horses at Saratoga.

So what does that leave? Peter Walder and his middle-level claimers? Is GP going to run a claiming level meet (with little turf racing, to boot)?

The shops at GP attract almost ZERO customers from the track. Maybe your once a meet type that wanders over for dinner after that one day at the races but the overwhelming majority of people who support South FL racing in the summer are the locals. The shops and restaurants are mostly expensive, overpriced, boutique type places that cater more towards the snowbirds (not even necessarily snowbirds who support racing) with money that frequent the Aventura and surrounding areas in the winter months.

The handle at the winter meet is huge because it's consistently the best racing in the country, with full, competitive fields and lots of turf racing. And the rainbow 6.

GP in the summer will NOT have full fields, much turf racing, good 2yo's, or much in the way of handle.

If this happens, it will have a devestating effect on South Florida racing and all parties involved know it. Again, anything is obviously possible but I highly highly doubt GP goes through with this when all is said and done.

Its typical behavior from some of racing's biggest owners....doing things that don't have the game's best interest in mind.

SandyW
04-11-2013, 08:27 PM

Nobody ever said that these people were smart.

OTM Al
04-27-2013, 09:39 PM
A quick update on the Jackpot P6 as it is run at Calder. Looks like it has been hit about 5 times already this meet, the reason for that being a good day brings in about $4000 to the pool. The takeout is actually lower than the Gulfstream version, but no one is playing it. Simply fascinating. Guess Calder just doesn't have the "fun" factor......