PDA

View Full Version : Out of print....

BlueChip@DRF
11-10-2001, 09:53 PM
Has anyone read "Thoroughbred Handicapping As An Investment" by Dick Mitchell? I am wondering if anyone else out there is enjoying this book as much as I am.

Topcat
11-10-2001, 11:17 PM
Yes Bluechip. I've read it and out of a lot of books that are throw backs this one is a definite keeper-as we say in fishing.

BlueChip@DRF
11-10-2001, 11:22 PM
What is your personal opinion of this book?

JimG
11-11-2001, 07:35 AM
I've read a number of books by Mitchell, but not that one. Can you give a mini review of the book, and if it sounds good I'll get it from a used online book store.

JimG

BlueChip@DRF
11-11-2001, 07:41 PM
JimG,

This book seems different from the other handicapping books. It changed my whole outlook on handicapping and wagering. I used to be haphazard trying to cover every angle each race. Now I only play about 1 or 2 races a week. This book has a chapter on speed and pace, and another chapter on class. But it's main focus is money management - when you select a horse that fits your criteria, it will give you several options on how to bet that specific horse for that specific race. It does not care how you pick your horses, just that you are consistent - about 35%. It also strongly emphasizes that you should NEVER bet if you are not totally 100% confident in your selection. It's better to pass and conserve than to gamble and hope. If it comes out, you've lost nothing. (A bet not made is a bet not lost.) It even has a chapter on exotic betting, when it would be more profitable than straight betting, and when it would not.

In short, this is not a book about "angles", but more a book on wagering strategies. You provide the selections, it provides the money management.

Currently, the online bookstores sell these out-of-print copies for $75+.

I hope this was helpful.

BlueChip

JimG
11-11-2001, 08:25 PM
Bluechip:

That was helpful and I do appreciate the time you took to give me the review. Unfortunately, I do not have the patience to play on a few races a week and my hit rate is nowhere near 35% (as my board buds here will attest in the recent contest...0%)

Anyhow, I like to pick my spots, go for price and play exotics.

Again, thanks for taking the time.

JimG

BlueChip@DRF
11-12-2001, 12:07 AM
JimG,

If you're looking for price, usually the best times to play for it are the 1st, 2nd, and last races of major tracks. You can usually eliminate anyone below 9/2 in these races. It might not happen all the time, but it happens more often than not. And the best time to play longshots are in the first 2 weeks of any meet. Look at Gulfstream, January 10th of this year. You'll see what I mean.

Regards,

BlueChip

Richard
11-22-2001, 09:18 PM
BlueChip,
I have had a copy of this book since it first came out in the late 80's after reading a review of it in GAMBLING TIMES(Dick Mitchell himself took my order over the phone).I also have the companion audiotape.While I think it is a great book,I also think you should get yourself a copy of his book WINNING THOROUGHBRED STRATEGIES(which I believe is currently out of print).This book goes a lot more into the pari-mutuel/money management side of the sport.

Dave Schwartz
11-22-2001, 10:11 PM
Try www.abe.com and type in Dick Mitchell as the author.

>>>
Mitchell, Dick Winning thoroughbred Strategies with the right strategy, You can Think like and investor, Not a Gambler!
Bx6630: Wm Morrow, 1989 Hard Cover. Very Good/Very Good. some sunning on the dj spine and edges. Bookseller Inventory # 240223
Price: US$ 50.10 convert currency
Presented by Webster Village Used Book Store, Webster, NY, U.S.A.
<<<

ALso, the Amazon search engine works well. Locate the book you want and try to call the store directly rather than placing a system order. You will get better, faster results.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Dave Schwartz
11-22-2001, 10:14 PM
Here is the other book... from Amazon.com.

Used Price: $77.77

Availability: Seller usually ships within 1-2 business days (delivery options)

-----------------
1 used available from Amazon Marketplace sellers! (How does this work?)
Buying from Amazon Marketplace sellers is safe--the A-to-z Guarantee covers purchases up to $2,500.

Used - Items 1 to 1 of 1

$77.77 Seller: lynne157
Rating:
Ships from: TX, United States

GR1@HTR
11-23-2001, 10:21 AM
Another great out of print site:

www.alibris.com

modred
05-18-2002, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys for the used book URLs. I buy lots of used books ...especially when the price is right.

tedwin
05-18-2002, 03:56 PM
Half.com is another good site for used books.

I happen to have a copy of Thoroughbred Handicapping as an Investment listed there for around $74 - I think it is probably the best price available on line. If a member of this board wants to buy it directly from me I would sell it for $60 plus shipping. S/h would be $3 for media mail or $4.50 for Priority Mail. The book is used; it has hiighlighting and no dust jacket.

Also the other book mentioned, Winning Thoroughbred Strategies is listed on half.com at $12.50. I would sell it directly to a member of this board for $10 plus shipping.

If interested you can email me at vedanta2@attbi.com

alyingthief
05-28-2002, 04:20 AM
i picked up a copy of this book from e-bay for 7.50; it isn't worth 77.

GameTheory
05-28-2002, 01:26 PM
Yeah, why so much on the Dick Mitchell books?

They aren't particularly hard to find. IMO, they aren't terribly useful either, but that depends on you. I saw Commonsense Handicapping in my local book store for like $10 just the other day. It is listed for $70 on half.com.

If someone wants me to pick it up for them, and send me $60 bucks for it, no problem!