PDA

View Full Version : Gun stats and Presidential failure, again....

JustRalph
04-04-2013, 03:42 PM
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/rich-lowry-opinion-the-great-gun-control-fizzle-89628.html

If you're interested at all in the recent gun debate, read this short piece on the unrealistic representation of and complete misunderstanding of the gun problem in the U.S.

It also highlights that once again Obama the brilliant man that he is, can't do anything right.

Please note the following from page 2 of the article. It displays the real problem with guns in the U.S.

"Surely, we can figure out a way to do more checks at gun shows. But despite the obsession with them, gun shows are really beside the point. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, “In 1997, among state inmates possessing a gun, fewer than 2 percent bought their firearm at a flea market or gun show, about 12 percent from a retail store or pawnshop and 80 percent from family, friends, a street buy or an illegal source.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/rich-lowry-opinion-the-great-gun-control-fizzle-89628_Page2.html#ixzz2PWeA2B2G

vegasone
04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
India axe attacker 'kills nine' in Chhattisgarh

A man has gone on a rampage with an axe in a village in central India, killing four women and five girls, police say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-22031407#

TJDave
04-04-2013, 04:21 PM
There's been a bill introduced in the California legislature to regulate the sale of ammunition. Registry of purchases, who can buy, how much, what kind, etc...

I'll bet it passes.

Robert Goren
04-04-2013, 07:43 PM
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/rich-lowry-opinion-the-great-gun-control-fizzle-89628.html

If you're interested at all in the recent gun debate, read this short piece on the unrealistic representation of and complete misunderstanding of the gun problem in the U.S.

It also highlights that once again Obama the brilliant man that he is, can't do anything right.

Please note the following from page 2 of the article. It displays the real problem with guns in the U.S.

"Surely, we can figure out a way to do more checks at gun shows. But despite the obsession with them, gun shows are really beside the point. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, “In 1997, among state inmates possessing a gun, fewer than 2 percent bought their firearm at a flea market or gun show, about 12 percent from a retail store or pawnshop and 80 percent from family, friends, a street buy or an illegal source.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/rich-lowry-opinion-the-great-gun-control-fizzle-89628_Page2.html#ixzz2PWeA2B2G Don't you just love stats from 15 years ago? Do you bet the ponies based research on races ran 15 years ago?

newtothegame
04-04-2013, 07:49 PM
There's been a bill introduced in the California legislature to regulate the sale of ammunition. Registry of purchases, who can buy, how much, what kind, etc...

I'll bet it passes.
Apparently, this wont apply to the DHS even is passed .....:lol:

johnhannibalsmith
04-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Don't you just love stats from 15 years ago? Do you bet the ponies based research on races ran 15 years ago?

Funny, I agree. But it hasn't stopped the President from making his case (along with Nanny Bloomberg) that 40% of purchases are made without a background check- using data from the same 1997 report.

Robert Goren
04-04-2013, 07:53 PM
India axe attacker 'kills nine' in Chhattisgarh

A man has gone on a rampage with an axe in a village in central India, killing four women and five girls, police say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-22031407# you can bet your last dollar that if that nut in India had access to an assault weapon , he would used it instead of the axe and the carnage would have much worse.
How desperate are you that you have find a story from half a world away to try prove your point?

PaceAdvantage
04-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Funny, I agree. But it hasn't stopped the President from making his case (along with Nanny Bloomberg) that 40% of purchases are made without a background check- using data from the same 1997 report.Oh SNAP Goren...what do you say to that? :lol:

newtothegame
04-04-2013, 08:41 PM
you can bet your last dollar that if that nut in India had access to an assault weapon , he would used it instead of the axe and the carnage would have much worse.
How desperate are you that you have find a story from half a world away to try prove your point?
So, what youre really saying is you are only interested in guns! Forget all the other weaponry which is used to kill...its guns you hate!
Thanks for sharing

RaceBookJoe
04-04-2013, 08:44 PM
So, what youre really saying is you are only interested in guns! Forget all the other weaponry which is used to kill...its guns you hate!
Thanks for sharing

I guess Goren doesnt give a crap about the 100,000+ deaths from FDA approved drugs/products.

elysiantraveller
04-04-2013, 09:24 PM
you can bet your last dollar that if that nut in India had access to an assault weapon , he would used it instead of the axe and the carnage would have much worse.

Define "assault weapon."

Tom
04-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Here's the bottom line - we have the right to have guns.
Deal with it.

Or, you could always move to one of those third rate POS countries you whiney lefties are always comparing us to and see how you fare there.

The history of this country is the history of the gun.

TJDave
04-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Here's the bottom line - we have the right to have guns.
Deal with it.

I believe I have the right to have guns.

It's everyone else I have a problem with. ;)

vegasone
04-05-2013, 02:47 AM
The point is that people kill people. You only want to care about people killed with guns. Take guns away and they will find another way. Not too obvious with you. Takes a little bit of thinking. There are more people killed with knives than so called asault rifles, but hysteria makes for a better story.

Reading current info it seems a lot of these killers showed signs of problems before they went on their rampage. Perhaps we should concentrate on why they are given the opportunity to commit these crimes and better educate the public on observation.

TJDave
04-05-2013, 03:15 AM
The point is that people kill people. You only want to care about people killed with guns. Take guns away and they will find another way. Not too obvious with you. Takes a little bit of thinking. There are more people killed with knives than so called asault rifles, but hysteria makes for a better story.

The way I figure is that people buy guns for one, two, or both reasons.

1. They like guns.

2. They want the best method of killing someone, for right-or wrong reasons.

I happen to subscribe to both. ;)

Knives are a poor substitute.

elysiantraveller
04-05-2013, 06:51 AM
The way I figure is that people buy guns for one, two, or both reasons.

1. They like guns.

2. They want the best method of killing someone, for right-or wrong reasons.

I happen to subscribe to both. ;)

Knives are a poor substitute.

Or because they actually use them for something. I have a lot of them and they all have very specific purposes none which have to deal your two points.

Tom
04-05-2013, 07:32 AM
1. They WANT to have guns.
No other explanation is required.
We have the right - no reason needed, no limits, no purpose required.

If the know-it-all nanny left want to to change that, let them grow a set and put it up for a constitutional amendment, by a vote of the people. Not some stupid poll, not some stupid graph or chart. A vote to change the law of the land, by the people. Something most libs are scared to ever do. All libs want to do is control people. Hint - that is a good reason to own a gun.

Robert Goren
04-05-2013, 08:03 AM
1. They WANT to have guns.
No other explanation is required.
We have the right - no reason needed, no limits, no purpose required.

If the know-it-all nanny left want to to change that, let them grow a set and put it up for a constitutional amendment, by a vote of the people. Not some stupid poll, not some stupid graph or chart. A vote to change the law of the land, by the people. Something most libs are scared to ever do. All libs want to do is control people. Hint - that is a good reason to own a gun.The constitution can not be changed by a vote of the people. You probably know that or at least you should. It can be changed by a vote of 2/3 in both house of congress and by having 3/4 of the states approve it. Only congressmen and state senators are involved. There is one other method which is to call a new constitution convention which is very unlikely.
The second amendment is not going away anytime soon. What it actually says has interpreted several ways since it was passed and may be be changed again. It pretty clear that congress has the power regulate what kind of guns a lawful citizens may own. For instance, sawed off shotguns are illegal. At one time large magazines were illegal.

Tom
04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Yes, by either the state legislatures or a state conventin, but that is far closer to the people than the current method with a bunch of slug in two houses deciding the future, especially a senate that refuse to vote on bills.

Robert Goren
04-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Yes, by either the state legislatures or a state conventin, but that is far closer to the people than the current method with a bunch of slug in two houses deciding the future, especially a senate that refuse to vote on bills. I would think that would make a limited government guy happy.

Tom
04-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Not when the government is as intrusive as the one we have now.
By limited government, we mean stay the HELL out of our business.
Government has no business in the half the areas they are now infecting.