PDA

View Full Version : If only he had a brain to map.....

Tom
04-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Odummy wants 100 million to pay for a project to map the human brain.
The jerk just doesn't get it.
We are broke.
There is no money.

Instead of trying to solve the fiscal disaster, this idiot is still digging us deeper. This is a direct assault on our grandchildren.

I doubt a 100 million dollar project would find signs of life in this losers head.

Overlay
04-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Your post brought to mind the following Wizard of Oz song parody that appeared during the 1976 presidential campaign, at a time of high inflation (remember WIN (Whip Inflation Now) buttons?) and OPEC oil embargos. (Note: The opinion expressed of Gerald Ford does not necessarily reflect that of the poster. :)):

I could while away the hours
Reflecting on my powers,
As we go down the drain.
I could spend like Rockefeller,
I could talk like Walter Heller,
If I only had a brain.

I could overcome inflation,
Put gas in every station
And we would feel no pain.
I could make the Arabs cower,
I could be an Eisenhower
If I only had a brain.

Oh, gee, if I could be
Like Truman in his prime;
Salty speeches whipping Congress into line,
Say "geothermal" -- the first time.

I could hold down grocery prices,
Wipe out the oil crisis,
Solve problems with no strain.
I could do a lot of thinkin',
I could be another Lincoln,
If I only had a brain.

Tom
04-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Whoever thought we be calling the Carter years the good old days? :bang:

Ocala Mike
04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
It's reality when it hits you.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/stroke-victim-sen-mark-kirk-praises-obama-brain-151959908--politics.html

mostpost
04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
We are broke.
There is no money.

Instead of trying to solve the fiscal disaster, this idiot is still digging us deeper. This is a direct assault on our grandchildren.

I doubt a 100 million dollar project would find signs of life in this losers head.
Every dollar we invest in brain research returns $140 to the American economy.
The cost of caring for Alzheimers patients each year is $203B. It costs over $3M a year to care for a person with Autism. Add in the cost of treating epilepsy and other brain disorders and the money spent on this project is not only worth it, it is essential. And this does not even take into consideration the contributions people suffering from these diseases could make if they were cured.

Once again we have an example of your no brain approach to every thing. We are not broke. There is money coming in. The question is how best to spend that money. This is a very good way.

Robert Fischer
04-04-2013, 12:42 PM
We are broke.
There is no money.

10 x 100million = 1000 million
1000 million = 1 billion
1000 billion = 1 trillion

we spend 1 trillion a year on national security , but we can't spend 100 million (less than a contract for a star football player) on mapping the human brain ??

I don't think it should be a wasteful project with anything but the best neuro scientists, but come on... If it looks like a constructive project, why not ? 100 million is not that huge.

boxcar
04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I don't think it should be a wasteful project with anything but the best neuro scientists, but come on... If it looks like a constructive project, why not ? 100 million is not that huge.

When spending other people's money, no amount of expense is "that huge".

Boxcar

Tom
04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
we spend 1 trillion a year on national security , but we can't spend 100 million (less than a contract for a star football player) on mapping the human brain ??

No, we can't.
We don't have any money.
We are printing money that only devalues our currency.

Does anyone understand the idea of being frigging broke?
We HAVE to cut spending, not increase it.
This just shows how little the left understands about anything real.

mostpost
04-04-2013, 12:52 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/stroke-victim-sen-mark-kirk-praises-obama-brain-151959908--politics.html
I have had an uncle who suffered a stroke (at a time when that almost always resulted in irreversible damage, an aunt who suffered from Alzheimer disease and now have a great nephew with Aspergers syndrome. I know first hand the effects these conditions have on family and friends. Senator Kirk does also.

Tom
04-04-2013, 12:52 PM

So, we spend every cent we have on every illness that affects anyone at all?
Come back to reality.

Tom
04-04-2013, 12:55 PM
We are not broke. There is money coming in. The question is how best to spend that money. This is a very good way.

Say I owe 100 thousand dollars and I make $400 a week.
My monthly payment is $2000.

By your accounting, I am not broke because I have money coming in, even though I have more going out. So I should be spending what I don't have left over on good things, other than my debt?

I rest my case.

Greyfox
04-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Every dollar we invest in brain research returns $140 to the American economy..

I have no problems with brain research and investing in it.

I have a problem with parrots that hear a number in the wind and run around repeating it.

mostpost
04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
I have no problems with brain research and investing in it.

I have a problem with parrots that hear a number in the wind and run around repeating it.
Here is the fact checker article on that claim.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/a-1-to-140-return-from-the-human-genome-project/2013/04/03/3b2d0b18-9be5-11e2-9a79-eb528
The article cites the study from which Obama got his numbers. Then it discusses the problems it has with that study. In the end it determines that 1 to 140 return is not accurate, but that there is a substantial return on investment in such cases.

Of course one could also make arguments against some of fact checker's assumptions. Even if there were no immediate return, the long term benefits can not be denied. Except by Tom, of course.

Greyfox
04-04-2013, 01:59 PM
In the end it determines that 1 to 140 return is not accurate, .

1. The link you provided says "Page Not Found."

2. More importantly the 1 to 140 return is NOT ACCURATE!

Which is what I suspected, but you flipped it out to us as if it were.

LottaKash
04-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Maybe if "barry & joe" cut back on some of their extravagant entourage vacations, they could cover the cost of this research, easily....

C'mon guys, for the children....

Tom
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
So what was the ROI Odummy expected to get back on Solyndra?

Hey mostie - you want to invest money in this?
then tell your lazy-ass boy to get off his ass and cut some frivolous government spending to pay for it. No, it too easy to just spend it and go play golf or go back out campaigning. No leadership - not a trace of it. Your boy is a lazy do-nothing.

Here is almost half of what you need - all before tee time.
http://www.areddy.net/mscott/porkabs.html

Here is more than enough.
http://www.areddy.net/mscott/porkpri.html

Here's enough to pay for the next three months of Obama vacations.
http://www.areddy.net/mscott/porkcon.html

LottaKash
04-04-2013, 02:49 PM
So what was the ROI Odummy expected to get back on Solyndra?

l (http://www.areddy.net/mscott/porkcon.html)

Talk about "vaporware"....Even still, no accounting for it either...

TJDave
04-04-2013, 03:45 PM
We are broke.
There is no money.

100 million is not enough. Let's make it 2 billion. Fund it by eliminating the tax exemption for religious institutions. We would net 68 billion...a year.

JustRalph
04-04-2013, 03:54 PM
100 million is not enough. Let's make it 2 billion. Fund it by eliminating the tax exemption for religious institutions. We would net 68 billion...a year.

Dave, you know most of that money would dry up or go underground.

Not sure what the Catholic Church would do, but the rest would find a way to hide it. Lots of that type of money is hidden now.

TJDave
04-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Dave, you know most of that money would dry up or go underground.

Not sure what the Catholic Church would do, but the rest would find a way to hide it. Lots of that type of money is hidden now.

Most of 70 billion yearly is property tax exemptions. How do you hide a church?