PDA

View Full Version : Why I Love Baseball

Ocala Mike
04-02-2013, 11:22 PM
A .234 hitter busts up a guy's perfect game in the last at bat. Unreal!

This Darvish guy's ball was moving like crazy tonight; he had control, command, and (almost) total mastery of the 'stros. Gotta think they're just a AAA team this year, if that, but still in awe of this performance.

ManU918
04-02-2013, 11:30 PM

This Darvish guy's ball was moving like crazy tonight; he had control, command, and (almost) total mastery of the 'stros. Gotta think they're just a AAA team this year, if that, but still in awe of this performance.

I've been following Darvish for about 6 years now... I remember about 4 years ago he said he wanted to come to America and pitch a perfect season in the MLB... LOL... He is nasty.

Valuist
04-03-2013, 10:14 AM
The AL West has to be licking their chops at getting to face the Astros so many times now. As a Cubs fan, I wonder if they can get to 70 wins without the Astros in the division.

MutuelClerk
04-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Naps.

JustRalph
04-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Watched the Darvish Highlights on the Apple TV MLB section. He had incredible movement on the ball. Damn shame he lost it the way he did. It was a clean hard grounder right between his legs.

Apple TV is a great way to watch MLB highlights (free) it's produced by MLB with no commercials etc. in case anybody is interested...........

Marshall Bennett
04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Didn't know till yesterday that Nolan Ryan had 12 one-hitters to go with his 7 no-hitters, wow. I remember Mike Schmidt breaking up one of his no-hitters with 2 outs in the ninth with a double off a breaking ball that almost left the park. Charley Hough with the Rangers had one going quite a few years back with 2 outs in the ninth and the Rangers leading 1-0. He walks a batter, then gives up his first base hit that got by the outfielder (error) and rolled to the fence. The relay throw to the plate would have been in time to get the base-runner from 1st, but Charley failed to cover home with the catcher covering 3rd. The no-hitter and the shutout was gone and then the next batter got a hit and he lost the game as well, all in a matter of minutes.

rastajenk
04-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Didn't know till yesterday that Nolan Ryan had 12 one-hitters to go with his 7 no-hitters, wow.You read George Will's column, too? :)

That's kind of like Nicklaus finishing second in another 19 majors; puts the boldface on the win record.

TexasDolly
04-03-2013, 08:25 PM
In the 4th game of the 1947 World Series,Yankee picther Bill Bevins had pitched 8 2/3 of a no hitter when he gave up a shot to the wall by pinch hitting Cookie Lavagetto which ended up scoring 2 and winning the game for the Dodgers. Gionfreddo (sp) had stolen second and the Yankees walked Reiser which put the winning run on first . I suppose everybody involved will remember that lack of strategy forever. I suppose there have been any number of others but since I was listening that day it has stayed in my mind throughout the years.
TD

ElKabong
04-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Charley Hough with the Rangers had one going quite a few years back with 2 outs in the ninth and the Rangers leading 1-0. He walks a batter, then gives up his first base hit that got by the outfielder (error) and rolled to the fence. The relay throw to the plate would have been in time to get the base-runner from 1st, but Charley failed to cover home with the catcher covering 3rd. The no-hitter and the shutout was gone and then the next batter got a hit and he lost the game as well, all in a matter of minutes.

Rangers.....the fan base here has a 1000 stories just like this one for our first 37 yrs of existence :) ...other than '74, it'd been a nightmare until 2009....but I love remembering events like the one you posted

ElKabong
04-04-2013, 12:09 AM

Astros knew Yu was going to throw nothing but strikes in the 9th to keep the pitch count down, they came out hacking aggressively for a change. Credit the HOU bench for knowing what's what. Wash and Maddux are going to be real careful not to overwork the staff like they did in '09, '10......Yu was at the pitch count level max given the stress pitches he'd thrown, HOU knew he'd try to end it quick

Not sure if anyone saw his start in Arlington Friday vs Mexico City.....Nasty, filthy stuff.....probably better than last nite's performance but no one gave it a thought b/c of the competition

PhantomOnTour
04-04-2013, 01:14 AM
Armando Galarraga lost his perfect game bid on a blown call by the ump at 1st base - i believe he is out of the majors now.
Handled it like a champ

i'll never forget that :(

NJ Stinks
04-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Didn't know till yesterday that Nolan Ryan had 12 one-hitters to go with his 7 no-hitters, wow.

The Juan Marichal answer was the biggest head-shaker for me. The question:

Since the Cy Young award was initiated in 1956 which pitcher won 25 or more games in 3 different seasons and never got the Cy Young?

As a friend said, unfortunate to pitch in the same era as Koufax, Gibson, and Drysdale.

George Will gave an awesome opening day quiz! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Here's a link if anybody missed it:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/opening_day_brain_teasers_Yp7F8kAX7EybS6UIt8yP7O

Marshall Bennett
04-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Yu was at the pitch count level max given the stress pitches he'd thrown, HOU knew he'd try to end it quick

Was wondering why he wasn't allowed to complete the game and get the shutout. I didn't watch. Years ago a pitcher would be fuming if he was pulled in that situation.