PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones

ManU918
03-31-2013, 07:43 PM
Anyone else excited for the Season 3 Premiere?

Capper Al
03-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Anyone else excited for the Season 3 Premiere?

Yes! Just finished watching seasons one and two for the second time.

Dave Schwartz
03-31-2013, 09:53 PM
Yes! It is on right now!

FantasticDan
04-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Can't wait! But wait I shall, til tomorrow when I'll watch via HBO Go..

Winter is here! ;)

redshift1
04-01-2013, 02:43 AM
One of my all time favorites.

ManU918
04-01-2013, 03:35 PM
What an incredible opener to season 3 last night... I can't get enough of this show.

porchy44
04-02-2013, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the tip. I just watched first 5 episodes of season 1. I think Im going to like this.

ManU918
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the tip. I just watched first 5 episodes of season 1. I think Im going to like this.

It only gets better!

Jay Trotter
04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
I stumbled upon this show about a year ago and then read all five books in rapid succession:

1 ) A Game of Thrones
2 ) A Clash of Kings
3 ) A Storm of Swords
4 ) A Feast for Crows
5 ) A Dance with Dragons

Apparently, a couple more are inthe works:

6) The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)
7) A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

Very cool to disappear into a different world! :ThmbUp:

ManU918
04-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I stumbled upon this show about a year ago and then read all five books in rapid succession:

1 ) A Game of Thrones
2 ) A Clash of Kings
3 ) A Storm of Swords
4 ) A Feast for Crows
5 ) A Dance with Dragons

Apparently, a couple more are inthe works:

6) The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)
7) A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

Very cool to disappear into a different world! :ThmbUp:

I have never read he books but is it true that the book has way more characters then the show? I plan on reading the books once the tv series ends.

johnhannibalsmith
04-02-2013, 07:31 PM
I don't get HBO any longer, but from time to time I will stream full seasons from Amazon of the shows I can't watch.

The whole genre of this show as I understand it seems like something that I wouldn't really enjoy, but so many people seem to love it that I have to wonder - are any of the fans of the show here like me in that they assumed that they wouldn't like the concept at all but fell in love anyway?

I don't want to pay the premium for a full season to get one episode into it and realize I was right. :D

Jay Trotter
04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
I found the first two seasons on my "video on demand" which is included with my cable package. I also found "The Wire" and "Band of Brothers" here as well. I started watching it around this time of the year when all the regular shows wind down for the season.

To answer one question, I didn't go into it thinking this would be for me but I did give it a chance based on some of the previews I had seen and probably to some degree that I really liked the Lord of the Rings books and movies. (Movie first then read the books)

The fact that I had two full seasons (I believe 20 episodes) at my finger tips proved to be awesome and before I knew it I was addicted. No sooner had I finished watching Season 2 I knew I had to go get the books. I actually found the first four books in a set at Costco for about $24 or so. The 5th one was in hard cover but I had to have it asap as well.

As to the other question, I would think that pretty much all books have more detail than what can often be portrayed on film. I believe the book mentions many more details of distant family connections and events than might show up in the series; but overall the story is told true to the author's vision.

I would actually recommend watching the first season or two before reading the books because it gives you a really good visual of the people, places and events that might prove too abstract on first reading.

I give the book and the series five bear paws! :ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp: Highly recommended.

johnhannibalsmith
04-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks Jay. :ThmbUp:

I have Homeland or whatever its called cued up ready to go one of these days when I can convince myself to get going and been wondering about Game of Thrones. I can't see too many movies worth watching (maybe Lincoln) and need to burn up an Amazon card sooner or later. I'm waiting to order that WHA book until I get my damn Kindle back, so I've been about ready to take a shot one of these days. :D

ManU918
04-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks Jay. :ThmbUp:

I have Homeland or whatever its called cued up ready to go one of these days when I can convince myself to get going and been wondering about Game of Thrones. I can't see too many movies worth watching (maybe Lincoln) and need to burn up an Amazon card sooner or later. I'm waiting to order that WHA book until I get my damn Kindle back, so I've been about ready to take a shot one of these days. :D

I felt the same way you did.... I am not into fantasy type of shit... (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc) but this is nothing like that. This is well worth the time..... SO IS HOMELAND!!!!!!!! Homeland is an incredible show!

johnhannibalsmith
04-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I felt the same way you did.... I am not into fantasy type of shit... (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc) but this is nothing like that. This is well worth the time..... SO IS HOMELAND!!!!!!!! Homeland is an incredible show!

Thanks, that's basically exactly the way I was looking at it... alright, you got me to jump, but only after I check out Homeland. :) :ThmbUp:

johnhannibalsmith
05-20-2013, 09:33 PM
... but only after I check out Homeland. :) :ThmbUp:

Finally got around to buying the first few episodes of season one of Homeland and must say it wasn't what I was expecting and has me wishing that this hockey game would hurry up and get over with so I can cue up episode five through whatever I get through tonight. Definitely grabbed my attention and only sleepy time could snap me out of it. Thanks to ManU812 and whoever else in the thread motivated me to check it out. :ThmbUp:

Tom
05-20-2013, 11:04 PM
I just started watching Season 1 of Homeland on On Demand. Got through the first three and then they all disappeared! Only Season 2 is left! :mad:

johnhannibalsmith
05-20-2013, 11:21 PM
I just started watching Season 1 of Homeland on On Demand. Got through the first three and then they all disappeared! Only Season 2 is left! :mad:

I'm about to finish episode five right now. I use Amazon's streaming service and have no problem at all with it. If you have ever ordered anything from them and have an account, it should literally take you three minutes to be watching episode four. I think you can watch it right through the computer (and hook to the TV if you prefer), but I have a video game machine that I bought on a whim almost ten years ago and never used until I realized I could actually connect to videos and movies with it, so I don't even need to mess with the computer.

NJ Stinks
05-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Finally got around to buying the first few episodes of season one of Homeland and must say it wasn't what I was expecting and has me wishing that this hockey game would hurry up and get over with so I can cue up episode five through whatever I get through tonight. Definitely grabbed my attention and only sleepy time could snap me out of it. Thanks to ManU812 and whoever else in the thread motivated me to check it out. :ThmbUp:

Uh-oh. We watched season 1 of Homeland this winter and it was awesome. But now that you seem to like too I may have been hasty....

;) ;)

hugh
05-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Love this show.. Can't wait for the Red Wedding... read the first two books and got HBO just so I could watch this show... also discovered Veep which is great as well.
Winter is Coming!