PDA

View Full Version : D'oh!! Major laptop problem

andicap
02-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Well, I knew it would happen.
I dropped my laptop from my bed onto the floor (don't ask how), and besides busting the power cord -- the least of myproblems -- the Compaq 2590 won't boot up.
It says "operating system" not found, can't even get it into "Safe Mode."

what the hell should I do now? Reload Win XP? (Home)?

It's under warrenty (hopefully covered for dropping it) but I don't want to package it up unless I really have to. I bought it at comp usa.

I figured maybe I would have damaged a drive, but the OS??

HELP!!!!

:confused: :o

Larry Hamilton
02-12-2004, 11:54 PM
I hate to tell you this, but what you describe says you have ruined your hard drive (non-repairable)

your hard drive is where your OS is.

With luck, you have only knocked the power cable to the hard drive loose

JustRalph
02-13-2004, 02:29 AM
Find a good tech......that can determine whether the hard drive went to "Western Digital Heaven" with a boot disk it should take him about 5 minutes or less. As tight as hard drives are put in laptops........the cable being off is a longshot......but possible.

Pray..........and get a wrist strap.............

andicap
02-13-2004, 05:53 PM
OK,
now it boots right up, I can log into my name (mywife has a seperate log-in)
and it goes into Windows, but the memory-resident programs don't load and everything is frozen.
Still a hard-drive problem.?

JustRalph
02-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by andicap
OK,
now it boots right up, I can log into my name (mywife has a seperate log-in)
and it goes into Windows, but the memory-resident programs don't load and everything is frozen.
Still a hard-drive problem.?

maybe....open my computer.........right click on the c: drive and hit properties and run "error Checking" and see what it reports. It could be that it has some damaged sectors only. You didn't fill us in on what you did to get it to boot, if you did nothing and it just started working after several reboots.........the hard drive is probably damaged and finally spun up after several tries. This can happen........but if you have any data on that drive that you need.......get if off right now.

Post what you get after the error checking test, but get the data you need first.

penguinfan
02-14-2004, 09:14 AM
I feel your pain, I am currently the owner of the worlds most expensive paper-weight thanks to my wife and a cup of coffee loaded with sugar and coffee-mate. She ruined my last laptop BUT GOOD! I came out ahead in the long run though because I got to buy a nicer one that I have now and I like it tons better, this one is a Toshiba Satellite, much nicer than the Compaq I had.

Good Luck with yours.

Penguinfan