PDA

View Full Version : How many?

Maximillion
03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Questions for serious players or weekend warriors.....how many races(on average) do you find playable in a given week?

How many tracks do you play on an average week?

Appreciate all replies.

thaskalos
03-25-2013, 08:07 PM
I wager on approximately 120 races a week...spread across 6 different race tracks.

johnhannibalsmith
03-25-2013, 08:31 PM
For most of the last decade, I closely followed one track/circuit - about 45 races a week and probably bet almost a third of those on average. I usually would look at a couple other tracks each day and maybe find a handful a week that I wanted to play.

In the last few years those numbers have plummeted. I still pay close attention to the same 45 races a week, but realistically only bet a handful of those... tops. I may find one or two races in New York or Florida at this time of year that I want to play each week.

For all intents and purposes, I really don't even bet anymore. I handicap about the same number of races and between my handicapping gradually going completely to shit and finding fewer and fewer races that I can justify moving into pools on, watching and handicapping races has become more of a way to try to stay interested than to actually use as means to wager.

Maximillion
03-25-2013, 08:33 PM
I wager on approximately 120 races a week...spread across 6 different race tracks.

Thats almost exactly where im at atm(playing everyday) but im a toothpick thrower compared to you likely.

ArlJim78
03-25-2013, 08:33 PM
last week 20 tracks, approx 700 races.
I'm pretty active.

lamboguy
03-25-2013, 08:39 PM
when i was growing up my mother said that eating everything on your plate was good for you, my uncle preached "you can beat a race, but you can't beat the races".

after growing up, i learned that those 2 statements were as far from reality as can be.

if you are any good at this game, the more races you bet, the better shot you have. anyone that tells you that they can beat this game in the year 2013 betting into pari-mutuel pools without a rebate is flat out a liar.

riskman
03-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Like most, I am not a full time player and my wagering is usually over by 6PM EST. Look at about 4 tracks a day and sometimes Santa Anita early races hoping to catch a full field turf race.There are about 20 races per day that I will handicap and wind up betting approx. 15 of them. I usually wind up wagering about 45 a week over a 3 day period. Tris and Doubles are my key bets.

Maximillion
03-25-2013, 08:46 PM
if you are any good at this game, the more races you bet, the better shot you have. .

The pattern with my play is Lamboguys statement is true (for me)

Aner
03-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Saturday is my big day. I can follow 5 tracks if I'm alert at all times, otherwise I easily can get to one site too late to bet.

I handicap all races on the 5 cards as long as there are at least 8 entries. Races with 7 or less are passed unless they are part of a contest. If I take the time to handicap a race, I bet it.

I rest on Monday and Tuesday and on other days I handicap 1 or 2 tracks. Probably around 80 races per week.

SharpCat
03-26-2013, 01:51 AM
Really. If you think you can't beat this game without a rebate I will tell you your dead wrong. It's not easy but it definitely can be done.

Pensacola Pete
03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
nyone that tells you that they can beat this game in the year 2013 betting into pari-mutuel pools without a rebate is flat out a liar.

I play with a rebate ADW, but I show a profit without the rebate. I'd be willing to bet a lot of other members here show a yearly profit without the rebate, too.

thaskalos
03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
I play with a rebate ADW, but I show a profit without the rebate. I'd be willing to bet a lot of other members here show a yearly profit without the rebate, too.
A lot? :)

LottaKash
03-26-2013, 02:52 PM
I average 32 races per week....

I used to play (gamble) much, much more in days gone by...But now, I have become more fussy about what I choose to wager on....

A long time ago "ACTION" was the name of the game for me, but thru the years that has worn off in a very big way...I mean I still get excited when I wager whether I win or lose, but I don't feel that need for all that action any longer..

As a result tho, my strike rate is way up in recent years, and so is the ROI too...

That is my formula nowadays, and it helps me supplement my current "retirement" funds, which are very modest at best....It works very well this way for me, still, I am often enough guilty of leaving some ez money on the table...Consequently, and I am still trying to unlearn some of my modern day chicken-shit ways....I am still a work in progress in that regard...

Cholly
03-26-2013, 04:25 PM
I follow the NYRA circuit every day, and also look at allowance races at GP/KEE/CD.

I’ll make a couple of small wagers daily just to be sure I’m still breathing; but most of my betting gets focused on just one or two horses each week.

Robert Goren
03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
I bet NYRA dirt races and bet most of them. Sometimes I will quit after a few races when they aren't running my way. That happens maybe once every two weeks. I think most dirt races are beatable in spite of the outrageous takeout. In most race there is at least one horse that is taking some money that I think has no chance. Average 30-32 race a week. Will be fewer when turf racing starts again. There are more of them that I have no clue who the winner will be. If I have got an opinion, then I bet. I usually have opinion.

Robert Goren
03-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete

A lot? :) From what I have seen, there can't be that many. I am not even sure there are that many who show it even with the rebates. I see a lot of confused handicappers posting here trying to sort things out. But there are a few winners posting here.

MightBeSosa
03-26-2013, 08:10 PM
if you are any good at this game, the more races you bet, the better shot you have.

Brings up an interesting point that bears examination. Any gambling enterprise where the player has an 'edge', benefits from a large sample vs a small one. No disagreement there.

Consider races like blackjack hands, where sometimes the deck is in your favor but mostly not.

Simply betting more races is not the ideal scenario, unless you can prove your edge is the same or at least positive in every case.

Has to be a sweet spot , where you bet as many races as you can identify an edge of some kind, and that number is going to be a lot less than the number of races witnessed.

dkithore
03-26-2013, 08:42 PM
My actions with Australian (and some UK) tracks are limited by what is offered by Twinspires and narrow minded and restrictive US laws. Typically I play about 15 races a week (Wednesday & Saturday) when quality racing is offered. I am satisfied with it due to the time it takes to handicap them. In past when I played US tracks I played twice as much on week-ends with access to quality software and information. I miss that now but I compensate by tweaking what I have learned about pace and speed and record keeping.

Maximillion
03-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Brings up an interesting point that bears examination. Any gambling enterprise where the player has an 'edge', benefits from a large sample vs a small one. No disagreement there.

Consider races like blackjack hands, where sometimes the deck is in your favor but mostly not.

Simply betting more races is not the ideal scenario, unless you can prove your edge is the same or at least positive in every case.

Has to be a sweet spot , where you bet as many races as you can identify an edge of some kind, and that number is going to be a lot less than the number of races witnessed.

To keep it simple, I try to bet as many races as possible where I have identified a horse who may be better than what he appears to the public.I never know what my "edge" is in a given race....wish I did.Thats one of the reasons Im always reading here....I want to get better at this game.