PDA

View Full Version : JON WHITE - SANTA ANITA

feelup1963
03-24-2013, 05:31 PM
IS IT JUST ME BUT I FIND JON WHITE VERY ANNOYING . ALL THIS MAN PICK IS THE FAVORITES.I AM SICK AND TIRED LISTENING TO THIS GUY.I JUST START MUTING WHEN HE IS YAPPING HIS MOUTH.HE SHOULD GIVE HIMSELF A BIG PAT ON THE BACK FOR HIS WINNING TOP PICK.SANTA ANITA SUNDAY MARCH 24TH.RACE 4TH # 1 CHINESE PRAISE WHICH HE HAD AS THE M/L 2-1 FAVORITE.HIS TOP CHOICE WON HORRRAY $5.80. :ThmbDown:

judd
03-24-2013, 06:04 PM
IS IT JUST ME BUT I FIND JON WHITE VERY ANNOYING . ALL THIS MAN PICK IS THE FAVORITES.I AM SICK AND TIRED LISTENING TO THIS GUY.I JUST START MUTING WHEN HE IS YAPPING HIS MOUTH.HE SHOULD GIVE HIMSELF A BIG PAT ON THE BACK FOR HIS WINNING TOP PICK.SANTA ANITA SUNDAY MARCH 24TH.RACE 4TH # 1 CHINESE PRAISE WHICH HE HAD AS THE M/L 2-1 FAVORITE.HIS TOP CHOICE WON HORRRAY $5.80. :ThmbDown:

I think 15 years ago or so he hit something big and ever since he thinks hes good--but he stinks:ThmbDown:

horses4courses
03-24-2013, 06:29 PM
I've criticized his work before as the M/L setter for Santa Anita.
He refuses to use a mathematical base for the percentage total of his line.
It's always set way too high *.
Makes it easier to find value, though, due to his lousy job.

Personally, I prefer HRTV to TVG. Much prefer their coverage.
Jon White, though, is someone I never listen to.
It always "Well, I was a steward for many years, and....."
with other boring drivel about his many years at the track.

Thank goodness for the mute button.

* Today's Santa Ana (R7) set to over 130% - race goes off just over 120%.
Happens all the time.

Ocala Mike
03-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Oh, that's the guy to blame for those crappy M/L's? He's severely mathematically challenged or else he's never been schooled in how to make a line.

He helped me in today's 2nd though when he set the line on SUMERIAN way too high; nice 5/1 winner with Kayla Stra bet live in the DD and on the board.

theiman
03-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Oh, that's the guy to blame for those crappy M/L's? He's severely mathematically challenged or else he's never been schooled in how to make a line.

He helped me in today's 2nd though when he set the line on SUMERIAN way too high; nice 5/1 winner with Kayla Stra bet live in the DD and on the board.

First he has crappy M/L's, then he helped you make more money. :bang:
Last thing I would ever want is someone replaced who can help me make more money. Granted, it could go the other way and hurt you but its up to you to pick your spots.
As with a M/L maker who is off, so is a speed rater, such as Beyer, when he is off. Take advantage of the edge you get.

so.cal.fan
03-24-2013, 09:25 PM
John White has been the morning line maker since Jeff Tufts left.
As far as I know, he has never been a steward.
I've known him for a long time.

The Hawk
03-24-2013, 10:03 PM

I think I've heard him say he was a steward at Portland, or some other minor tracks. I can't say for sure, because when I hear his voice I begin the process of inserting screwdriver into my ears.

Greyfox
03-24-2013, 10:26 PM
I think I've heard him say he was a steward at Portland, or some other minor tracks. I can't say for sure, because when I hear his voice I begin the process of inserting screwdriver into my ears.

I think he's honest.

Whether or not he's accurate, is another question.

John calls 'em as he sees 'em, what more can you ask?
Not any easy job, and do you really want him to nail 'em.

Not me.

Keep up the good work John. :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
03-24-2013, 10:28 PM

I was laughing when he released Obsess and said he "LOVES" the horse and i'm thinking that he was my first throwout. :D

wisconsin
03-24-2013, 10:49 PM

Les Boise

Striker
03-24-2013, 11:51 PM
He actually was the youngest steward in the history of racing at 24.

redshift1
03-25-2013, 02:48 AM
I remember him hitting for 40k something. I can't remember which track but I think it was the Pick 6.

Update here it is:

http://www.majorwager.com/forums/race-track/136323-hrtv-host-jon-white-nails-45-981-pick-six.html

Lasix67
03-25-2013, 03:11 AM
You know I get tired of hearing about how bad TVG, HRTV, RTN, John White, Matt Carruthers, Todd Schrupp, etc......are. Yeah they may all at one time or another get under our skin or drive some of us nuts. Just one thing to keep in mind though, and that is they all share and are a big part of what is our passion of horse racing. Just imagine if they were not there.....yes, because with all the negativity that continues to surround this beautiful sport we love, it just might one day not be there for us to enjoy, and that would be the tragedy. Is there real problems with our sport? Hell yeah. Negativity will NEVER be the answer. If we love this game then maybe we should all begin to show it more.

Stillriledup
03-25-2013, 04:14 AM
You know I get tired of hearing about how bad TVG, HRTV, RTN, John White, Matt Carruthers, Todd Schrupp, etc......are. Yeah they may all at one time or another get under our skin or drive some of us nuts. Just one thing to keep in mind though, and that is they all share and are a big part of what is our passion of horse racing. Just imagine if they were not there.....yes, because with all the negativity that continues to surround this beautiful sport we love, it just might one day not be there for us to enjoy, and that would be the tragedy. Is there real problems with our sport? Hell yeah. Negativity will NEVER be the answer. If we love this game then maybe we should all begin to show it more.

I think a lot of the negativity directed towards TVG is geared towards the clowing around and the recommended wagers. People take horse betting deadly seriously and they're not in the game to joke around, so it can be annoying to hear someone else joking about something that you might not think is any laughing matter. Also, there are too many recommended wagers, hosts who arent even true gamblers just slapping together tickets and not tracking ROI, that gets under people's skin too.

judd
03-25-2013, 04:54 AM
I remember him hitting for 40k something. I can't remember which track but I think it was the Pick 6.

Update here it is:

http://www.majorwager.com/forums/race-track/136323-hrtv-host-jon-white-nails-45-981-pick-six.html

. maybe he was luckly back then good for him, but now stinko-city

Lasix67
03-25-2013, 10:13 AM
I think a lot of the negativity directed towards TVG is geared towards the clowing around and the recommended wagers. People take horse betting deadly seriously and they're not in the game to joke around, so it can be annoying to hear someone else joking about something that you might not think is any laughing matter. Also, there are too many recommended wagers, hosts who arent even true gamblers just slapping together tickets and not tracking ROI, that gets under people's skin too.

I understand what your saying. I am also serious about wagering, more than the average bettor, and probably not nearly as big as a lot of high rollers. My point is that these platforms allow the game to survive. I got into handicapping about 10 years ago because of TVG. Even though I went to the Fairgrounds on occasions, it was TVG and the exposure to the sport that drew me in. Now I prefer RTN and my computer. When I was first starting I wanted to know as much as possible from anyone or anything and thankfully personalities and programming was available to get into the game that I love. Is it for everyone? Of course not, but imagine where our sport would be without TVG, HRTV, and their talking heads? It would be a bunch of computer programmers and degenerates beating the hell out of one another. If I don't like something or someone I just tune it out. Hell, the noob needs something to feel attached to the game because the form is to difficult to read for them and looks like a foreign language. Who wants to play a game they don't understand and if there was no one there to show them or at the very least entertain them. Just try getting someone into the game for more than a one day stand. It's almost impossible these days.