PDA

View Full Version : No Big A on March 24th?

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Is it National chocolate covered raisin day? :confused:

Overlay
03-23-2013, 07:23 AM
It's Palm Sunday (the Sunday before Easter). I believe that Aqueduct has always been dark that day.

jeebus1083
03-23-2013, 07:25 AM
No, it's "New York state is stuck in the 19th century" day.

An antiquated "Blue Law" remains on the books in New York that prohibits horse racing/wagering on Palm Sunday.

Yet... the VLT parlors at those very SAME racetracks can operate as usual.

If you have a NYS-based ADW account, you can't play simulcast action. If you have Twinspires or Xpressbet or any ADW not based in NYS, you're good to go.

Lt1
03-23-2013, 08:04 AM
NY is dark on both Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday.

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 12:56 PM
It's Palm Sunday (the Sunday before Easter). I believe that Aqueduct has always been dark that day.

Just like Clark Kent, they go into a phone booth and change from a racetrack into a house of worship! Gotta love that!

cj
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM

When you start following the game, last week?

horses4courses
03-23-2013, 01:04 PM

He probably just needs a brush up on "racetracks and religion".
Maybe we should start a thread on that?
Forget I ever mentioned it.........

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 01:06 PM

Yes, March 16th to be exact. You have any good books for beginners? ;)

cj
03-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Yes, March 16th to be exact. You have any good books for beginners? ;)

http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9780764578403_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9780764578403_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

That's the one i was thinking about! :ThmbUp:

andtheyreoff
03-23-2013, 03:00 PM
From Harvey Pack's book:

"Another change was the introduction of Sunday racing in New York. We can now race every Sunday except Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. How did that happen? When it became obvious that every sport besides racing was operating on Sunday, the change as inevitable. They had to get the law amended in Albany, where at the time you could buy a law for $50.
"When the proposed change went before the legislature, a religious assemblyman threatened to filibuster. He didn't want Sunday racing at all, but was willing to compromise. He insisted they close on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday".

So there you have it.

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 03:02 PM
From Harvey Pack's book:

"Another change was the introduction of Sunday racing in New York. We can now race every Sunday except Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. How did that happen? When it became obvious that every sport besides racing was operating on Sunday, the change as inevitable. They had to get the law amended in Albany, where at the time you could buy a law for $50.
"When the proposed change went before the legislature, a religious assemblyman threatened to filibuster. He didn't want Sunday racing at all, but was willing to compromise. He insisted they close on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday".

So there you have it.

Im sure the state lottery is cancelled too, after all, if you cant bet horses, im sure the lottery shuts down for the day also.

thespaah
03-23-2013, 03:02 PM
NYRA does not operate on Palm Sunday. To my memory, they have been dark on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday.
In fact, simulcasting is closed as well.
You have to remember, the NY Metro area has the highest concentration of Roman Catholics in the country. Palm Sunday begins "Holy Week" for Catholics.

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 03:09 PM
NYRA does not operate on Palm Sunday. To my memory, they have been dark on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday.
In fact, simulcasting is closed as well.
You have to remember, the NY Metro area has the highest concentration of Roman Catholics in the country. Palm Sunday begins "Holy Week" for Catholics.

Are the religious people not able to 'practice religion' if a horse race track is running?

rastajenk
03-23-2013, 03:28 PM
The story may have had a different outcome if The Very Last Temptation of Christ had been a copy of Picking Winners.

nijinski
03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
They should at least run some rabbits !

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 03:34 PM
The story may have had a different outcome if The Very Last Temptation of Christ had been a copy of Picking Winners.

:D

And, the DRF is the 'bible'!

PhantomOnTour
03-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Ya know guys - no matter how much you continue to poke fun at SRU - ya never get a rise out of him.

thespaah
03-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Are the religious people not able to 'practice religion' if a horse race track is running?
It's a matter of respect. That's all. Is it REALLY that big of a deal to not have NYRA on which to wager a whopping THREE days per year?
Try living here in NC....Where 'they ain't no gamblin' allowed 'round here'.
I think it's total BS to not be able to legally bet horses based on which soil my house sits.
Yes, I made a choice to live here. It's a trade off.

castaway01
03-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Ya know guys - no matter how much you continue to poke fun at SRU - ya never get a rise out of him.

He's not smart enough to understand the jokes.

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 04:25 PM
He's not smart enough to understand the jokes.

I love it when you sneak out from under your rock, take a quick jab at me and then run away (without actually contributing anything of substance) and go into hiding again. Its cute. :D

jeebus1083
03-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Im sure the state lottery is cancelled too, after all, if you cant bet horses, im sure the lottery shuts down for the day also.

Nope. State Lottery runs on Palm and Easter Sunday.

And as far as that religious assemblyman is concerned, he's probably dead or long retired.

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Nope. State Lottery runs on Palm and Easter Sunday.

And as far as that religious assemblyman is concerned, he's probably dead or long retired.

So you can gamble on the luck game called lottery, but can't 'invest' in the stock market-type game called horse racing? That's wild.

therussmeister
03-23-2013, 05:31 PM
You also can't trade in the stock market those two days.

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 05:32 PM
It's a matter of respect. That's all. Is it REALLY that big of a deal to not have NYRA on which to wager a whopping THREE days per year?
Try living here in NC....Where 'they ain't no gamblin' allowed 'round here'.
I think it's total BS to not be able to legally bet horses based on which soil my house sits.
Yes, I made a choice to live here. It's a trade off.

Respect? I dont think it would be 'disrespectful' to run horse races, plenty of other tracks are open.

thespaah
03-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Respect? I dont think it would be 'disrespectful' to run horse races, plenty of other tracks are open.
Not in New York City.
Look, it's done. Just drop it.

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Not in New York City.

Ok, i'll tell Steve Crist you said so.

http://www.drf.com/news/crist-new-york-restrictions-defy-belief

Broad Brush
03-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Not in New York City.

If this was 10 years ago, I would say okay just drop it.

Not today.

At Aqueduct on Sunday this is how it will go:

"Where do I play slots?"...."Over there"
"Where do I buy a lottery ticket?"...."That way there"
"Where do I get a beer?"..."You go that way"
"Where can I buy a racing form?"...."CALL SECURITY QUICKLY"

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 07:59 PM

Not today.

Spaah man talks about respect, but all the DISrespect i see is towards the racing industry.

riskman
03-24-2013, 12:49 AM

That was not always the case, is it SRU?
As far as Palm and Easter Sunday maybe the New York State Legislature can pass a holiday called CHOCOLATE COVERED RAISIN DAY and NYRA can have a Stake Race called The NESTLÉ RAISINET. This should help soften the blow to SRU against all those religious zealots that are ruining two consecutive Sundays.

cj
03-24-2013, 01:36 AM
That was not always the case, is it SRU?

dEMHtoWGLW0

thespaah
03-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Ok, i'll tell Steve Crist you said so.

http://www.drf.com/news/crist-new-york-restrictions-defy-belief
What the hell does Steve Crist have to do with anything?
He has an opinion. It got your attention. So what.
The selected dark Sunday's for NYRA are what they are.
Is it really that Earth shattering to not have NYRA on which to wager for TWO whole days?..Jeez.

thespaah
03-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Not today.

Oy vay...Just play the races elsewhere. :bang:

SandyW
03-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Aqueduct could use a couple of days off judging by the size of the fields and quality of racing lately.

therussmeister
03-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Aqueduct could use a couple of days off judging by the size of the fields and quality of racing lately.
But they don't have a couple of days off. They added Wednesday cards these two weeks.

All they did was replace what is probably their second biggest betting day of the week with their smallest betting day of the week. They barely got $4,000,000 Wednesday.

Tom
03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
With NYRA closed this Sunday, March 31, yuo have to redeem 2012 tickets by close of business on Saturday, or you lose the money.