PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Racetrack to Spend the Day

JimG
02-12-2004, 04:12 PM
What is your favorite track to attend and why? If not on list, please enlighten us below.

JimG

Valuist
02-12-2004, 04:23 PM
While I don't like the CDI management at Arlington, it *IS* the top track to visit. No, the quality isn't Saratoga, but its not bad.

Suff
02-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by JimG
What is your favorite track to attend and why? If not on list, please enlighten us below.

JimG

I broke first. Surprisingly enough I voted for Del-Mar. Sure I love Saratoga. But thats a DESTINATION Track.

As far as a day trip. Like you blow out of work at 10:00 AM and just plan on having an early lunch and spending the day at the Track? Del-Mar. #2 GulfStream. They are can't miss....but If I had to rank them those are my 1-2

I lived in Carlsbad California for 18 months. My Office was in Kearney Mesa , right across from Mira Mar naval air academy where they filmed Top Gun. I drove PCH everyday , and Del-mar is spectacular.

cj
02-12-2004, 04:31 PM
I went Monmouth, I just love the atmosphere, the out back paddock, the burgers outside. Never been to Del Mar for the live product, so I can't say about that one.

JimL
02-12-2004, 05:01 PM
CJ, really with you on this one. Monmouth Park is the place to be. JimL

Tom
02-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Woodbine,Fort Erie or Delware.
Wo and FE are beuatiful tracks, comfortable, really freindly people. FE probably more so than any. ALWAYS have a great day there, even if I lose.
Delware reminds me of Saratoga butwithout the crowds. vEry nice set up, very conducive to relaxation. I can handicap very easily at these three.
Penn would probably come in 4th, for its first class dining room with simulcasting.
Pha is a comfy track, too.
But number one....Fort Eirie. Plust, they have those delicious improted hot dogs there - Zwiegles!

IRISHLADSTABLE
02-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by JimG

JimG

Jim,
Saratoga has a special place in my heart . I've always
loved going there. Locally Belmont and Monmouth Park.
Turf Paradise was a nice track but the product stunk.

Jimmy

eclecticapper
02-12-2004, 07:22 PM
As a native New Yorker I know I'm supposed to vote for Saratoga, but Keeneland is a wonderful place to spend the day (although I'd avoid big race days because it's really not designed to handle crowds of 25,000 or more). Terrific paddock, too. Lost some of its charm with the introduction of a public address system, but still a great location for a day at the races.

headhawg
02-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
While I don't like the CDI management at Arlington, it *IS* the top track to visit. No, the quality isn't Saratoga, but its not bad.

Yeah, absolutely beautiful racetrack but not nearly the quality of racing that there used to be. But started happening even before they took over.

Zaf
02-12-2004, 09:07 PM
1. Woodbine
2. Saratoga
3. Delaware Park

ZAFONIC

Tom
02-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by eclecticapper
As a native New Yorker I know I'm supposed to vote for Saratoga, but Keeneland is a wonderful place to spend the day...

Ya know, I plum forgot about Keenland. I was only here once, and there was no live racing, but it was a dream racetrack-never seen anything quite like it before. The set up was terrific, the food was actually good, the accomadations more than comfortable. I would love to go back for real racing.
Had the privilage of going there with the HTR group, which made it all the more memorable. That whole area of Kentucky was like something out of Gone With the Wind, in the early chapters.

kenwoodallpromos
02-12-2004, 10:28 PM
I like Vallejo best. 7/8 with small buildings, good surface, easy to handicap. Good fair food and a small fair with good exhibits too!

Show Me the Wire
02-12-2004, 11:24 PM
1. keeneland for the beauty and gentry
2. CD for the history and party type atmosphere
3. Oaklawn for the track surface, enthusiatic fans, and the water
4. GP just because of the location

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Steve 'StatMan'
02-12-2004, 11:34 PM
I love attending the races live at Hawthorne. I know the neighborhood isn't the prettiest, and the industrial sites nearby don't look nor smell very good, either. It is what they do for the players that has me loving that place, and overlooking their faults.

They have a wonderfully remodled Handicapping/Business Center there that is like a second home for me. My good friend Scott McMannis runs it, and is there every day of the live TB meets, reviews the card at the begining of the day, and is there to answer questions. There are plenty of new tables inside, and they have T1 connections so you can bring your laptop PC and get online. Plus they have a PC set up for the public to use as well. Big screen TVs + hands on access to the Video Library, you can review the replays as often as you want. If you need to make a copy or send a fax, they have equipment available right there in the room too (sponsored by Des Plaines Office Equipment). A number of friendly regulars and subscribers of Scott's are usually there.

They have free handicapping tournaments nearly every weekend, with a cash prize final round at the end of every month for those who qualified during the month (pick 2 winners out of 6 on any Sat. or Sun. to qualify for the Sat. or Sun. finals). Usually $2,500 worth of prizes given away on the last Sat & Sun. of the month.

Free contest every meet to win a new car (compliments of Mancari Chrysler/Plymouth). One of our buddies from the Handicapping Center won a brand new Dodge Caravan last spring. Others from the group have come close at various times.

(This next paragraph I wrote in another recent post:)
Hawthore and National Jockey Club(Formerly Sportman's Park) have a great ontrack rewards program - after acheiving point totals, essentially 4% returned for betting the live races, 2% on the simulcasts. Makes the live WPS pools 17% - 4% = 13% for ontrack players using their card (in contrast to IL OTB's where 17% + 2.5% IL Surcharge = 19.5% takout). Bonus points awarded on many occasions, like when the Bears cover the spread, when Carolina the underdog covered the spread in the Super Bowl, etc. (250 free points if you made any bet that day with your card ) 10,000 points for a $200 voucher. 2 points per $1 bet on live HAW races, 1 point for the simulcasts.

As for AP, yes, that is the pretty one! Plus about 50% of the fans are women! Plenty of trees and in a nice suburban area about 1 mile from my home. Walk around inside the place and you'd swear you're in a really nice shopping mall. Go outside on the apron on the weekend and see lots of people and the sunshine. Beautiful paddock area. Go to the Park area on Friday Nights with the bands and the Party In The Park, or on Sundays for Family Day, and feel alive and part of something. So for a cooped up workaholic like me, that place sure tends to pick up my spirits.

Show Me the Wire
02-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Steve'StatMan'BTW:

No offense, but you need to get around more. Hawthorne is the least place I would want to spend a day at.

I know Scott and he definetly is an asset, but Scott and the bonus program are not enough to mention Hawthorne in the same breath as the other tracks.

As far as AP, all it has going is that it is a mismanaged beautiful facility and it is the closest track to my geographical location.

BTW women at Keeneland win hands down over AP

Try a McChump tour.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

Valuist
02-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Steve-

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have great memories of going to Hawthorne in that rundown industrial neighborhood, 40 degrees and overcast, the horizon filled with smoke from the nearby industries......and full fields and big payoffs race in race out. From a betting standpoint, I've made more money at Hawthorne than any other track; I won my first race as an owner there by 15 lengths; its 180 degrees different from Arlington, but in terms of gambling memories, they've been more pleasant at Haw than AP.

Steve 'StatMan'
02-13-2004, 01:42 AM
Well thankfully HAW got fixed up real nice over the last few years, but too bad they can't pick it up and move it somewhere else, like over to where AP is. God forbid they ever have another fire there, but if they ever rebuild from the ground up again on that site, I'd recommend rotating the layout of the property 180 degrees. That way, you could look out of the grandstand and see the Chicago Skyline to the north and east, instead of having to look south at the smoke stacks, the oil refinery, the nickle plant, the Waste Managment facility, etc. Oh yes, and the Sanitary District (sewage canal and treatment plant) within a mile as well. :rolleyes: Of course, the bad part of doing a 180 there (besides someone coughing up $100 million) would be having to physically be that many more yards closer to all those places. ;)

The property does looks better in the summertime when there are leaves on trees, as opposed to the when the get to run TB's, in the spring, fall and winter.

Yeah, I know, it isn't like those other places. And I loved the beauty of Keeneland and was thrilled the few times I've been to historic Churchill. I thought Rockingham was nice. Someday I hope to see the world outside of Chicagoland again. :)

You're right SMTW, a good McChump Tour would be a great thing to do! I'm glad Terry's gets the chance to go on his roadtrips!

Oh well, for now, give me a really nice room to sit with my friends and favorite guru with me, a fast internet connection, and some perks that I can't get elsewhere, and I'm pretty happy. Send me to AP, and while I give most of the other perks, yes, my eyeballs sure are happy for a few months.;)

shanta
02-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Belmont Park. I love the racetrack itself, like to sit in the park in the back with my laptop and watch the horses come to the saddling area.Then sometimes i will walk over to the top of the stretch to watch a couple of races run. All in all can't go wrong spending the day at "Beautiful Belmont Park"
Richie :)

hurrikane
02-13-2004, 01:04 PM
have to go with Keeneland. The whole bluegrass area ooozzes horses.

after that,

Del Mar,
Sar
GP
my boat with a sat link

witchdoctor
02-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Keenland is my personal favorite. Got to see Holy Bull, Louis Quatorze, Skip Away, Pleasant Tap, and Gorgeous among others there.

PurplePower
02-13-2004, 04:58 PM
I love going to New Orleans for a day at The Fairgrounds. My day includes visiting with my son in Barn 46 then going to grandstand for a Gumbo lunch. Cash some tickets then out to Mulate's for dinner and dancing followed by a stroll down Bourbon street. The day ends with beignets and cafe' ole' at Cafe DuMond.

Blind Pursuit
02-13-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm sure Keeneland, Del Mar, etc. are great places, and everybody loves Saratoga, but I voted for Monmouth Park, the "world's nicest racetrack." Not the best, not the most beautiful, not the most storied, just nice. Picnic tables by the snack bar at the paddock = horse heaven.

Although......Tom's got me thinking a Fort Erie road trip. Now there's one I wouldn'a thought of!

----
wonder what'll happen to Monmouth Park when Magna gets their hands on it.

Derek2U
02-13-2004, 07:33 PM
I love MTH PARK .... its just friendly great & i'll be going there a lot
this season. My parents have a house in Belmar ... and I also
love Belmar but since i'm married i wont b going 2 the Tropical pUB
HEHE .. it was my fav raunch bar in my single days. And Bar A.

pmd62ndst
02-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I've had some crazy moments at Hollywood Park on Friday nights. I have a bad habit of ditching the stands after my Pick 6 ticket turns worthless, taking a few shots with my buddies who don't normally go to the track and diving straight onto the dance floor. You forget that you're actually at the track until the races are over and they're kicking you out.

Thomason
02-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Keeneland. Saw my first race there on the last Saturday of the fall meet October 1974. I've been back many times. The Bluegrass is a special place.

jack300s
02-16-2004, 11:20 PM
My favorite is Del mar with Churchill a close second. I haven't had the chance to visit Keeneland or Saratoga yet. Hope to in he near future.

BTW, theres a little track north of San Francisco in Santa Rosa that hosts the Sonoma County Fair every summer. Great crowds that pack the place, great food and great wine. Its more of a party than a day at the races with the regular race track crowd. We always make it a annual summer trip.

Jack

JimG
02-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks to all who voted. While I tried for a good mix of tracks, I see the "other" category is winning.

It is also interesting to note that nobody voted for Gulfstream Park. I can only guess Karl did not vote or Calder is his favorite track..LOL

The way Beyer used to talk about Gulfstream in his book, I thought it would get action. Funny, I threw in Monmouth as an afterthought, and it got alot of support.

JimG

rastajenk
12-14-2005, 04:02 AM
My "other" is River Downs. Beautiful setting, relaxed atsmosphere, good times.

GaryG
12-14-2005, 06:21 AM
The first time I saw the new Arlington I thought it was the cleanest place I had ever seen....I was there for the BC and the crowd was less than on Fathers Day. I guess that is their big day.

Valuist
12-14-2005, 10:47 AM
It was about 35 to 40 degrees that day (BC day 2002) and Arlington is basically designed as a summer track; lots of seating outside. I'm less than 5 miles away but I stayed home and watched on TV.

karlskorner
12-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Forty years ago I spent time at the NY/NJ tracks mentioned above, they were "dumps" then and probabley haven't changed. When Mr. Stronach finishes GP, this whole survey will change. Heading out to CRC, weather is 80 degrees, 7 miles south and I am in the land of milk and honey.

ratpack
12-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I love Santa Anita but I go there all the time so I did not vote for it.

I voted for Monmouth Park because I grew up in Asbury Park and I don't get back there that often any longer.

My biggest complaint is that they stopped serving corn on the cob in Aug.

JustRalph
12-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Been to Hollywood, Del Mar and Beulah. Went to Sam Houston last month and really liked the facility. Clean, good food and not pricey at all. The Jockey club was great. I think if given the choice..........Sammy would be the place........

cnollfan
12-14-2005, 07:42 PM
I like Canterbury, aside from the fact that I can probably keep up with some of the horses. It's got a great balance of a little bit of everything -- nice outside seating, nice inside seating, nice walking ring, good simulcasting area.

Zman179
12-14-2005, 09:06 PM
My choice wasn't listed on the poll.

I wanted to vote for "any."

mainardi
12-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Sorry to say, but here in LA-LA land, it's always such a tough call between SA and Dmr... but I went with Santa Anita because my daughter LOVES the carved turkey sandwiches (and the pickles too :) ), and the fact that I get free clubhouse passes about once a month.

My second vote would go to Del Mar, but for entirely different reasons! ;) I drive to downtown LA (about 30 minutes) and catch the train to Solana Beach, where Del Mar provides FREE shuttles on double-decker English buses. The view -- of both the ocean and the bikini-clad bodies -- is OUTSTANDING. My bartender connection means that I drink all day for the price of a single beer, and then I have the two-hour train ride home to get my wits about me!!! And when I used to do track-sponsored seminars, they pretty much took care of me (except for the beer :( ). Hmmm, maybe I should change my vote!!!

toetoe
12-15-2005, 01:29 AM
Mainardi,

My sentiments almost exactly. I prefer SA because DMR gets to be too much on weekends and holidays. I took the DMR shuttle bus once, and a group of 20-somethings got on, with beers all around. When they gave me an imported beer, I just HAD to fall off the wagon for a day. Delightful.

NY BRED
12-15-2005, 04:00 AM
as far as comfort both saratoga and monmouth offer old world charm
unlike the cold concrete structures such as club med, aqu or calder.

for racing, though,no track can truly matchup to saratoga racing
with its competitive and classy fields, and now, at least one stake race
per day.

best time to visit sar: 7am-9am while thoroughbreds work out with
commentary by track hosts.

for those interested, sar does offer backstretch tours including
visits to certain barns, interviews with jockeys when possible

oh yes, if visiting, be sure to bring an umbrella if you intend to
stay for a week or more,as rainstorms there are generally
unlike anything you've ever experienced

Niko
12-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Tracks I've been to Arlington, LoneStar, Canterbury, Santa Anita, DelMar, Churchill (only a couple derbies).

Arlingtons a really nice track but I think they have the worst tellers of everyone. They're slow and have an attitude. Breeders Cup 2002 was brutal (well, just pretty bad) and I'll never go back there for that. Weather didn't help

I enjoy my little Canterbury. Many contests, great customer service, competitive & fun races when it's live, REASONABLE Prices-which eliminates DelMar and they make it fun for my non-racing fans who'll come out for some live racing during the summer.

Santa Anita has a great back drop

Bobby
12-15-2005, 10:08 PM
OP by far.

BEen to LAD, DED, FG, EVD.

FUGITIVE77
12-19-2005, 02:02 AM
Give me fan friendly Hawthorne any day with it’s new handicapping center blended in with the amenities of the Gold Cup room, the cognoscenti give it two big thumbs up. Arlington reminds me of the lyrics from that old Johnny Rivers song, "Secret Agent Man":

Beware of pretty faces that you find

A pretty face can hide an evil mind

AND THAT SAYS IT ALL

fiveouttasix
12-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Saratoga by far (my parents live 20 miles from the Track)
Been to Mth, Med, Pha, Aqu , Bel.
Would love to visit OP someday

Bruddah
12-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ar. has it all. Crisp cool mountain air. A small town spa retreat, with great restaurants and night life. Friendly folks and great horse racing. Now that's the good life!

rrpic6
12-20-2005, 06:38 AM
1. Del Mar
2. Keeneland
3. Saratoga
4. Gulfstream
5. Arlington
6. Churchill Downs
7. Woodbine
8. Hollywood Park
9. Fort Erie
10. Beulah Park

The worst track has got to be Pimlico:ThmbDown: . Should be hit with a wrecking ball. You are forced to watch the race on TV monitors at some point as the Clubhouse blocks the view on the 1st turn of Distance races. A huge track with very little room to stand outside to watch it live. Been to Sportsman's and Detroit Race Course, RIP, Atlantic City semi-RIP.

cj's dad
12-20-2005, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE

The worst track has got to be Pimlico:ThmbDown: . Should be hit with a wrecking ball. You are forced to watch the race on TV monitors at some point as the Clubhouse blocks the view on the 1st turn of Distance races. A huge track with very little room to stand outside to watch it live. Been to Sportsman's and Detroit Race Course, RIP, Atlantic City semi-RIP.[/QUOTE]

Next time you go to Pimlico, buy a seat to sit outside in the first tier and you will see everything. And also, who cares about the 1st turn anyway ? If something happens there, then you go inside and watch the replay !! And if you think Old Hilltop is the worst, then you haven't been to many !!

rrpic6
12-20-2005, 01:47 PM
I've been to at least 20 tracks. Pimlico ranks dead last. I have seats on the finish line every Preakness Day. They are inside seats located in the Grandstand. The Clubhouse juts out so badly that the first turn is completely obliterated. i used to go to Cleveland Stadium as a kid and sit behind a big iron girder. You can really enjoy a ballgame looking at one of those things.
Not to brag, but i've been to to a VIP Room at Churchill on Breeder's Cup Day as well as on the finish line at Hollywood Park BC in 1997. Also on the finish line at Keeneland a few times. A HUGE difference!! Tell me a few tracks I missed that are worse than Old Milltop.

toetoe
12-20-2005, 02:01 PM
rr,

I have some grave news. That was no girder. That was Rocky Colavito. :D

rrpic6
12-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Don't knock the Rock!;) I did see Tony Horton hit 3 HRs in a game. He popped out in his 4th AB and CRAWLED to the dugout.:eek: Saw Charlie Sheen run out to the mound to pitch for a scene in Major League. The producers scrapped the whole shooting to go do it at Milwaukee's old stadium. Now that's a real smackdown.

toetoe
12-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Don't you mean Willie Horton, the Gates Brown of his day, and no relation to the center of the whole Bush-pere and Dukakis brouhaha?

rrpic6
12-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Nope, Willie Horton played for the Tigers, Tony was the next Generation Jimmy Piersall, having a Nervous breakdown in the early 70's. Nothing like a Sunday DH at the Stadium. 2 games for $8.00. Attendance about 8,000. Thistledown wishes they could 8,000 for a weekend nowadays.

rrpic6
12-20-2005, 07:47 PM
1969 Cleveland Indians (Franchise Index (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLE/): 1968 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLE/1968.shtml) / 1970 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLE/1970.shtml))
62-99, Finished 6th in AL Eastern Division
View League Standings and Leaders (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1969.shtml)
Scored 573 runs, Allowed 717 runs. Pythagorean W-L (http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/faq.shtml#pyth): 64-97
Managed by Alvin Dark (http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/darkal01.shtml)

Ballpark: Cleveland Stadium (ballparks.com (http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/clevel.htm))
Attendance: 619,970 (11th out of 12)
Park Factor (http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/parkadjust.shtml): Batting - 103/Pitching - 104 (over 100 favors batters)

toetoe
12-20-2005, 09:09 PM
I knew about WH, I just figured he played in CMS when the Tigers came to town.

rrpic6
12-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Should get back to the topic....Even tho I think Arlington is great, some of the live tellers are not. On more than one occasion, I've said " A dollar tri 1 with the 2-3-4-5" and have been corrected by a teller. "That would be a dollar part wheel, 1 with 2-3-4-5", was the response. There was one guy that told me next time to remember what I was told and call out the bet the right way! i just said "give me a voucher for $200, and hope you still have a job someday".

Bobby
12-21-2005, 10:56 PM
RR,

They do that shit everywhere.

rrpic6
12-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Thistledown always did it, especially the Oldtimers. I think they just wanted to punch WIN tickets, so they'd piss off the customers that play exotic combinations. This way the patrons would go to the SAM's on their own. I knew of one teller that would press REPEAT on tickets she thought were being played by the "smart guys". She ended up begging for money to pay her drawer at the end of her shift. Eventually got fired.

stlseeeek
12-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Fairmount Park

Right across the river, they spent money on new simucast room, etc. college cooeds on weekends from SLU,SIU,SIUE. Theracing has gone downhill, casinos have crushed them, plus the chicago tracks and peeps giving a rats about the track. But it's always been $$$

been too:

riverdowns: liked the track, seriously a sleeper, but thought the simucast building was poorly placed sum 30+ yards from wire. And AC was out, and it was one hot muther!

Turfway: Favorite, loved handicapping the track, loved the people, and enjoyed the old lady. I'm a simpleton like that.

Bluegrassdowns(anyone know the name of it now adays?): wow, a dump, but a great place to just go and bet the horses, the peeps are pretty much your typical hardworking weekend gamblers, love the bartender, you get your beer and ask her for a $10 exacta 4-3. Not a place to bring a chick, or buddys who want to party, but a great, quiet place to gamble!

toetoe
12-22-2005, 09:23 PM
STL,
You don't mean Blue Bonnet, do you? And how about Ellis Park? I've heard it's something right out of Huckleberry Finn. Okay, I exaggerate.

stlseeeek
12-22-2005, 09:42 PM
its in paducah Kentucky

it used to be Bluegrass downs, then Became a harness track!

Funny thing is, 90% of the races there were handtimed, and you couldnt get a true pp of their races.

it would be like 24 1/5 1(4 lengths)
---- ----
---- ----
---- ---
final: handtimed buwahahaha! i was like ok, and what was it?

maxwell
12-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Fort Erie ( Saratoga of the north )

Woodbine ( giant of the north )

Woodbine is massive - 700 acres!

Two training tracks: dirt and turf. The grandstand turf course circles the main track - no crossing the dirt track here: 11/2 miles and an endless stretch run.

They're building a huge entertainment center, and plan to have a shuttle bus from the airport which is five minutes away - smart move!

I would love to visit CD, Sar, SA, etc - I sure plan to. :)

Zaf
12-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Woodbine is great but I wouldn't exactly call Fort Erie , the Saratoga of the north.

Z

maxwell
12-23-2005, 09:58 AM
zaf,

I was referring to the grounds - flowers and such.

I haven't been there in many years so that may have changed?

cnollfan
12-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I was at Fort Erie once, 20 years ago, and thought the grounds were beautiful.

Art P
01-21-2006, 10:53 AM
the place is ancient and falling apart. The thought of the Breeders cup there is laughable. The parking lot is in shambles and outside of the park area the inner workings are old and outdated.
Give me the Meadowlands any day of the week Air comditioned restaurants bars tvs all over the place anything you want simulcast about 20 tracks, I went to the crappy Spa they simulcast 3 tracks they suck also

keenang
01-22-2006, 11:02 AM
I think for beauty it would be Delmar. But if you want to see some beautiful young women nothing compares to Oaklawn on the weekends.

Geno ;)

falconridge
01-22-2006, 02:36 PM
I think for beauty it would be Delmar. But if you want to see some beautiful young women nothing compares to Oaklawn on the weekends.

Geno ;)Still don't get the "beauty" bit about Del Mar. Garish, ticky-tick condos to the left, an unremarkable--and rather arid--typical SoCal desertscape to the right and beyond the backstretch. Granted, pleasant weather, and a nice beach to the rear, though of course you can't see the Pacific from anywhere on the track grounds (and even if you could ... cf. Robert Frost's poem, "Neither Out Far Nor In Deep").

Oaklawn, on the other hand, looks gorgeous--or at least it does from all the footage and photos I've seen of it. Likewise Woodbine, the favorite track of "Colonel Martingale" (aka "Audax Minor," nee George Ryall), who wrote "The Race Track" column for The New Yorker for more than fifty years. Finger Lakes also looks lovely.

My favorite place to spend an afternoon, however, is--don't laugh, now!--Bay Meadows. Not scenic, not especially well-appointed; but not a bad seat in the house, easy to get around in--and into and out of--and, unlike Del Mar or Santa Anita (IMO, a much prettier track than the one at which "the turf meets the surf"), never a problem getting a bet down.

Like just about everything Der Bingle ever had a hand in (Jack Cooper, former president of the Screen Actors Guild, said Crosby was "the coldest man I ever knew. Cold, cold man. I can still smell the whiskey on his breath"), Del Mar is hugely overrated.

Your old Binglebasher,

falconridge

toetoe
01-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Frostridge,

Where did you ever dig up that hoary rime?

Agree about Bowel Movement, I mean Bay Meadows. The plant is multi-tiered, very old-fashioned, and the wood chips in the indoor paddock get the ol' factory hummin.' Friday nights are great fun there.
Del Mar is all about the ambience, but for me it's ruined, at least on weekends and holidays, by the crush of humanity. Humanity is overrated. So is survival. So is winning at the track, I ... THINK. :confused:

GaryG
01-22-2006, 03:54 PM
Del Mar was absolutely the best before it became trendy and they rebuilt in in the early 90s. In the old days you could always get a good seat and big crowds were non-existant. It was exactly like a dusty mission.....I always expected to see a padre ringing the bell. It was the only track in SoCal (I guess it is technically in LoCal) to offer the DD before 1961. How about a song....I'm Goin' To Tanforan In My Mind....

Bobby
01-23-2006, 09:57 AM
beautiful young women

Yes, some hotties in that place. In march it will be a sorority house. Last couple of races Longshots, the bar across the street, gets really busy. A lot of them go there.

GaryG
01-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Yes, some hotties in that place. In march it will be a sorority house. Last couple of races Longshots, the bar across the street, gets really busy. A lot of them go there.Isn't it hard to concentrate on the races with poontang on your mind? Just a thought...

Bobby
01-23-2006, 10:13 AM
I do most of my capping before I get there. That needs to change after this past weekend though :D :D

Valuist
01-23-2006, 10:58 AM
I remember being at Oaklawn in the late 80s. There was an assistant trainer there who I got to know and he had a horse running in the last race of the day there. I asked him about his horse and he was very evasive.....he changed the subject. I remember thinking that the horse might be alive. Anyways, me and a friend went to the bar and started talking to two girls there. We're drinking and I'm starting to get a little buzzed. I look at up the tote and see the horses loading into the gate for the last race. I run to the windows to bet the assistant trainers horse......too late. I got shut out. Sure enough, the horse jumps out in front in one of those mile races w/the short stretch. They never catch him and he pays $45 to win. That was a good lesson how well alcohol and gambling (don't) mix.

Bruddah
01-23-2006, 11:20 AM
The secret to Oaklawn's repeated large crowds since those days, has been the appeal to college kids. When they are young, they become fans while chasing the "babes" and cheap beer. They have just a small amount of money for wagering, after the first two priorities are met. However, they return year after year and poor money through the windows, as they get older. They become citizens with more disposable income and love horse racing. I have seen this become an annual rite of passage from one generation to the next. Just as going to the Kentucky derby or Saratoga or Del Mar. Oaklawn annually has the largest crowds in racing. I remeber when they drew crowds of 50-60 thousand on weekends and 75k on Arkansas Derby day.

Yeah, the babes, looking Foxy, have always been a big draw at the Spa City. :) :lol: :D ;)

toetoe
01-23-2006, 11:20 AM
V.,

At the Ca. fairs, I always had to make sure my horses were alive, too. ;) :D

santanajimi
01-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Oaklawn really is a nice joint to spend a weekend, the places to stay within a 30 minute drive, a are some of the nicest places to chill out. Brady Mountain lodge is one of those spots, fishing, boating, and a pretty decent place to eat...on site. I just love that place. Just dont stay IN HOT SPRINGS....those hotels are freaken dumps....a great place to do capping in the morning before the 1:30 post.is Brady Mountain!
A SIDE NOTE......PEOPLE OF ALL RELIGIONS ARE ALLOWED.

lamboruns
01-23-2006, 09:38 PM
I Used to live 30 miles from the track..never bet a horse in my life...stopped in on a rainy day..saw the women..the beer..the food...cashed a 80 dollar exacta on my first race..i was hooked...GREAT PLACE TO WATCH A RACE...people are so very nice...tellers are great..always helped me when i was beginning....(told me that i got the 1 AND the 1a horse for one price when i wanted the 1-1a exacta box) lol....am going for 3 days of racing this coming weekend and i cant contain the excitment..maybe can cash one of the HUGE payouts that have been going on this year.....i will always remember watching smarty win the derby....had 100 across the board...a HUGE bet for a college kid on a budget...when he won it was hard partying...oaklawn ran out of cash and had to issue cashiers checks...if the pool would have been at just oaklawn he woulda paid...2.10 for the win!! great times

weegee
01-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Belmont is heaven, especially on a fine afternoon in May or June. I get weepy just thinking about it.

Saratoga is too crowded to be enjoyable. My husband calls it Coney Island with horses, except you can't even see the horses.

PhantomOnTour
07-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Really?

Someone just voted in an 8yr old poll?
:lol:
The silliness never ends

(I did not BUMP this thread by posting this - it was already bumped) :faint:

KingChas
07-22-2014, 07:46 AM
:1: Saratoga-"Feel like I am sitting in the clouds-Heaven I"
:1a: Monmouth Park-"When the summer wind comes rolling in from the shore-Heaven II"

Honorable Mention; My once a year visit to Saratoga Harness-believe it or not!.....Very Relaxing........... :D

2 just voted things change in 8 years............... :lol:

Ocala Mike
07-22-2014, 08:23 AM
I just voted for the first time. Had it close between Saratoga in August or the Big A in February. Went with the former; the aroma of weed coming from the cold, dark stairways of frigid Aqueduct was not enough to sway me.

dartman51
07-22-2014, 09:07 AM
I've not been to Saratoga, but it is on my bucket list. For me it is Keeneland in the fall. The spring meet, not so much. :ThmbUp:

BlueChip@DRF
07-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Belmont Park on a weekday with good weather.
It's all that 'space' when you look out onto the track from the grandstand.
You can breathe! You can find your own private corner and sit there in your own thoughts, read a book, or type away on a laptop. Or even pick up the local lingo in the main area: "Five alive! Five alive!" or "Tree fo' Johnny V! Tree fo' Johnny V!" or "Uno! Uno! Uno! Puta conyo....."

And there is a park in the back you can just sit and watch the world go by.

TheEdge07
07-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Keenland

Redboard
07-22-2014, 02:59 PM
Really?

Someone just voted in an 8yr old poll?
:lol:
The silliness never ends

(I did not BUMP this thread by posting this - it was already bumped) :faint:

Unfortunately the version of vBulletin software that PA uses (3.0, 10 years old) does that. The newer versions have to capability of not bumping a poll whenever someone votes.

ILovetheInner
07-22-2014, 03:18 PM
I just voted for the first time. Had it close between Saratoga in August or the Big A in February. Went with the former; the aroma of weed coming from the cold, dark stairways of frigid Aqueduct was not enough to sway me.

Ok fine....then I will be the only. What a SHOCK, lol! Mine is the inner. I know part of that is imprinting. Grew up with a summer home in the Adirondacks, so going to Saratoga was being away from that. And always felt so darned hot compared to my mountain paradise. Yes, I complained, and the folks were appalled. Belmont was grand, but I always felt pooped by the finale having to cover so much more ground. The inner was a unique experience, where there were lots of, erm, "characters" and always was my fascination. You were there because you loved racing or just were a degenerate down on their luck, but could be observed safely in most instances. I got flashed there once, but it was a cool story to bring back :D The interplay between Cordero and the railbirds, love or hate, was always at its best there.

thespaah
07-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Monmouth ....when it's not a big stakes day is my favorite. Just enough people so it does not feel empty. The place is well kept. And there does not seem to be too many degenerates there either.
I also like Tampa Bay Downs....It's not a bad place at all.

thespaah
07-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Of course my favorite track is Saratoga.
I responded with Mth because when I lived in NJ, it was my go to place during the summer months. Saratoga was my big time destination during that meet.
I could get done with work early and trundle on down to Mth for a few races.
Did that on many occasions....

thespaah
07-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Fairmount Park

Right across the river, they spent money on new simucast room, etc. college cooeds on weekends from SLU,SIU,SIUE. Theracing has gone downhill, casinos have crushed them, plus the chicago tracks and peeps giving a rats about the track. But it's always been $$$

been too:

riverdowns: liked the track, seriously a sleeper, but thought the simucast building was poorly placed sum 30+ yards from wire. And AC was out, and it was one hot muther!

Turfway: Favorite, loved handicapping the track, loved the people, and enjoyed the old lady. I'm a simpleton like that.

Bluegrassdowns(anyone know the name of it now adays?): wow, a dump, but a great place to just go and bet the horses, the peeps are pretty much your typical hardworking weekend gamblers, love the bartender, you get your beer and ask her for a $10 exacta 4-3. Not a place to bring a chick, or buddys who want to party, but a great, quiet place to gamble!
The present day Blue Grass Downs is a harness track in Paducah, KY

thespaah
07-22-2014, 05:37 PM
the place is ancient and falling apart. The thought of the Breeders cup there is laughable. The parking lot is in shambles and outside of the park area the inner workings are old and outdated.
Give me the Meadowlands any day of the week Air comditioned restaurants bars tvs all over the place anything you want simulcast about 20 tracks, I went to the crappy Spa they simulcast 3 tracks they suck also
Who ARE you?

VeryOldMan
07-22-2014, 05:54 PM
At this point maybe we should turn it into how many of the 9 you've been to; I've only seen 5 of the 9 and there are people on this board who've seen it all.

Enjoyed all 5 I attended (Belmont, Del Mar, Santa Anita, Gulfstream, Monmouth) but put me down as Belmont, only because that is where I attended the best race I've ever seen live.

Redboard
07-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Who ARE you?

Or "who were you?", since Art P hasn't submitted a post in eight years.

BlueChip@DRF
07-22-2014, 06:33 PM
At this point maybe we should turn it into how many of the 9 you've been to; I've only seen 5 of the 9 and there are people on this board who've seen it all.

Enjoyed all 5 I attended (Belmont, Del Mar, Santa Anita, Gulfstream, Monmouth) but put me down as Belmont, only because that is where I attended the best race I've ever seen live.

June 10, 1978, right? :)

VeryOldMan
07-22-2014, 06:41 PM
June 10, 1978, right? :)

June 11, 1977 :)

EMD4ME
07-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Ok fine....then I will be the only. What a SHOCK, lol! Mine is the inner. I know part of that is imprinting. Grew up with a summer home in the Adirondacks, so going to Saratoga was being away from that. And always felt so darned hot compared to my mountain paradise. Yes, I complained, and the folks were appalled. Belmont was grand, but I always felt pooped by the finale having to cover so much more ground. The inner was a unique experience, where there were lots of, erm, "characters" and always was my fascination. You were there because you loved racing or just were a degenerate down on their luck, but could be observed safely in most instances. I got flashed there once, but it was a cool story to bring back :D The interplay between Cordero and the railbirds, love or hate, was always at its best there.

I too love the inner. Sadly, NYRA and resorts world shitino , decided they would tear down the grandstand. I was 6 years old when I stood by the finish line of the third floor grandstand. It was the best view of any horse track in north America. Now, the only people who can watch a race at aqueduct with a good view are the insanely stupid video game/slot players who go out for a cigarette and by accident realize there's a circle in front of them with horsies running around.

Pathetic.

appistappis
07-23-2014, 12:40 AM
1 ft erie
2 gulfstream
3 saratoga

tanner12oz
07-23-2014, 10:04 AM
keeneland

coastkid
07-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Fair Grounds was my favortite track until CDI took over, Keeneland is now my favorite track to spend the day.

wisconsin
07-23-2014, 07:54 PM
The best tracks are not always the ones you think of. The most fun I have recently had a track was Columbus races in Nebraska last year. Noisy, lively crowd, just one hell of a fun evening.

biggestal99
07-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Saratoga was the best, now too many people.

Monmouth on a non-haskell day tops the list now.

Allan

FrankieFigs
07-25-2014, 03:02 PM
I always have a great time at Kentucky Downs during their live meet. Hanging out down by the finish line and paddock area is great. Also watching the last 2 races of the day go down the hill and into the turn as the sun sets is a beautiful sight. Good times there for many years.

AfleetAlex
07-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Keeneland! :ThmbUp:

Redboard
07-25-2014, 10:31 PM

Monmouth on a non-haskell day tops the list now.

Allan
I was at the SPA today sitting in clubhouse seats. They were 3/4 empty. Attendance is on the decline ovef the last ten years.

Ocala Mike
07-26-2014, 01:54 PM

"Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Tom
07-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Finger Lakes is the most comfortable track I have ever been to.
Lots of good places to sit, plenty of table, and no matter where yo are, you have a good view of the entire track.

Toga is by far the most uncomfortable place I was ever at, including airports for overnight layovers. The only place you could see the whole race was on a TV, and the last two times I was there, they all wore pink cloths. I never went back and never will.

cj
11-18-2020, 11:40 AM
This poll is obviously very old, I voted Monmouth way back when. I'd probably change that to Oaklawn now.

I'd go this as my top 5:

Oaklawn
Del Mar
Saratoga
Monmouth
Remington

(I have yet to make it to Keeneland)

lamboguy
11-18-2020, 11:47 AM
i am going with Oaklawn myself (i like them because they don't have computer wagering picking the place apart and they deserve to be supported)

Riverdowns rail
11-18-2020, 03:14 PM
Why wasn’t Keeneland on the list?

wisconsin
11-19-2020, 11:20 AM
I'm gonna say River Downs in it's heyday. Their was a really good Dixieland band roaming the stands with a fabulous trumpet player. Always enjoyed, was a Labor Day weekend trip for us for about 6 or 7 years running.

Saratoga and Kenneland, yes yes yes. Monmouth was ok too, and Oaklawn. Parx on PA Derby day, with a mummers band wandering is another great day to spend live. Santa Anita is picturesque and relaxing, and when I went to Del Mar and afterwards swam in the ocean, how can you top that?

Then again, there are some real boring clunkers. I have been to 60+ tracks.

In any event, I prefer live racing, but that's just me.

AMPHAR
11-19-2020, 07:59 PM
Keeneland

Parkview_Pirate
11-22-2020, 10:55 AM
Why wasn’t Keeneland on the list?

Good question. Pretty flawed survey, though it's been around since 2004.

The_Turf_Monster
11-24-2020, 12:54 AM
I’ve been to a lot of tracks, and there is no more comfortable place to spend a day off than AP. Yes, the surface is well past it’s intended lifespan, but the turf course is still the best in the country and Illinois’ horsemen are running a higher class horse than they should for the purses they get on it. Imagine (once you get the lay of the land) getting from your box to the paddock and back to the box in 2 minutes if you can navigate the escalators

If you can catch a nice spring day where they’re on the turf, Hawthorne is a fair bet on a well-maintained track. I’m looking forward to it getting a casino, sportsbook, the summer race dates, etc since I live 10 minutes away

deathandgravity
11-24-2020, 08:09 AM
Los Alamitos evening quarter horse card… Just remember when you think you have it bad, you can go a lot lower
Emerald Downs – Mullet counting

Joking aside…

Use to love the summer meet @ the old Prescott Downs bullring. Head up for the weekend to get away from the heat in Phoenix.

Friday evening card @ Hollywood Park. Always booked a late flight out of LAX when in LA for business to catch the card & concert.

46zilzal
11-24-2020, 03:07 PM
Longacres without a doubt....There was something unique about that old place outside of "Do Dah." that made it special

porchy44
11-27-2020, 07:39 PM
This poll is obviously very old, I voted Monmouth way back when. I'd probably change that to Oaklawn now.

I'd go this as my top 5:

Oaklawn
Del Mar
Saratoga
Monmouth
Remington

On the flip side:

I myself would vote for Keeneland

(I have yet to make it to Oaklawn)

classhandicapper
11-30-2020, 08:48 AM

I'd go this as my top 5:

Oaklawn
Del Mar
Saratoga
Monmouth
Remington

IMO, Monmouth is underrated generally. I'm a big fan of Max's Hotdogs. :ThmbUp:

If we are talking about gambling, I'd probably say

1. Keenland
2. Churchill
3. Oaklawn
4. Fair Grounds
5. CA Fairs

If we are talking about spending a day or longer, I haven't been to the CA Fairs or FG yet. So I'd probably say

1. Saratoga
2. Keeneland
3. Del Mar
4. Monmouth
5. Finger Lakes (yes I like the area and enjoyed my time there)

grant miller
11-30-2020, 11:28 AM
:confused::confused:i first started playing finger lakes in 88,after i got out of the marines-did alot of doubles at f-l & batavia downs at nite-f-l is about 45 min.away-i hpoe king como lets fans back -even my local otb is still closed

Clocker
11-30-2020, 09:54 PM
This poll is obviously very old

Does that mean that it is too late to vote for Ak-Sar-Ben???

Waquoit
12-02-2020, 08:20 PM
Bottom line is that all tracks are great. I always had a ball bringing a lawn chair (with a few beers inside) and playing the races from the Northampton Fair infield.

LemonSoupKid
12-04-2020, 01:01 PM
1. keeneland for the beauty and gentry
2. CD for the history and party type atmosphere
3. Oaklawn for the track surface, enthusiatic fans, and the water
4. GP just because of the location

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

I agree with all of this and I actually chose Santa Anita. I've probably won the most at Saratoga, and I had my best Breeders Cup day ever on Saturday this year at Keeneland, but historically I've been brutalized at that location.

Prytanis
12-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Belmont in the spring
Aqueduct in the fall
Monmouth

JimG
12-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Good question. Pretty flawed survey, though it's been around since 2004.

Yeah, I know for a fact the guy was an idiot that made this survey. :pound:

I cannot believe I left Tampa Bay off the list. :eek:

Vinnie
12-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Love Tampa Bay Downs and it's the closest track to my location in Florida. Really enjoy going there to play a few races and for a little chow.

Track Collector
12-15-2020, 10:32 PM
Back when this poll was started, my choice was easy. It would have been the Northampton (3-County) Fair in Massachusetts, which sadly stopped racing after 2005.

My most favorite today would be the 4-day mid-July race meet in Prineville, Oregon, aka The Crooked River Roundup. I suspect less than 5 PaceAdvantage members have ever been there.

A close second would be the Timonium Fair which runs late August thru Labor Day Monday. (Word has it that if these covid gathering restrictions ever end, Timonium will be adding an additional 3 days to their current 7-day meet.). :jump:

Honorable mention would go to Kentucky Downs, which has a very unique track layout, huge field sizes, and betting handles.

If I was forced to limit myself to the specifically named tracks, my choice would be Monmouth Park.

PIC6SIX
12-16-2020, 12:03 AM
Why is Keeneland not listed?? It is my second choice to Saratoga. I am sure many other board members also like Keeneland.

PIC6SIX
12-16-2020, 12:18 AM
Try Fairmont Park for last place.

theshadow
12-29-2020, 04:22 PM

JimG

Arlington is my hometown track and sometimes I miss the old wooden one. Hate the artificial surface at all tracks including Arlington's. Washington was a little like it but not as nice and I only saw it when it was glass enclosed. I remember before they did renovations to Arlington in the mid-60's the paddock and the merry-go-round

stlseeeek
12-30-2020, 10:07 AM
PIC6SIX Try Fairmont Park for last place.

C'mon, you mean to tell me you don't like a Tuesday of Horse hooky, with the Strippers selling coors light in bikinis(some look like they just came off a meth binge)?

They did replace Zander with the Casino Queen lady, so there is a shot it could become a Nicer Mountaineer park with sports gaming and gaming machines.

castaway01
12-30-2020, 10:41 AM
I know there are some here with an affection for the place that I'm not mocking, but it does show how meaningless such polls are when freakin' Hollywood Park, which everyone was apparently too afraid to attend at night to keep it open, tied SARATOGA as the best track to attend. Saratoga. C'mon man.

elhelmete
01-22-2021, 01:57 PM
I like to ride the train to my favorite track, and watch the ocean here and there along the way.

And after the races, walk out to some good local eats before grabbing the train back home as the sun sets over the water.

Del Mar?

No, Suffolk Downs!

Ray Donovon
01-27-2021, 01:30 AM
I like to ride the train to my favorite track, and watch the ocean here and there along the way.

And after the races, walk out to some good local eats before grabbing the train back home as the sun sets over the water.

Del Mar?

No, Suffolk Downs!

Clocking feet on the fence in the pouring rain at Suffolk Downs were some of the best days I’ve ever spent at the track. Making a couple of bucks and heading to the New Bridge for steak tips and salad with the best dressing around capped the perfect rainy day.

elhelmete
01-27-2021, 12:11 PM
Clocking feet on the fence in the pouring rain at Suffolk Downs were some of the best days I’ve ever spent at the track. Making a couple of bucks and heading to the New Bridge for steak tips and salad with the best dressing around capped the perfect rainy day.

That New Bridge dressing!

I'd usually start out at Dimino's right outside the stable gate then walk on with my credentials.

Ray Donovon
01-27-2021, 02:49 PM
That New Bridge dressing!

I'd usually start out at Dimino's right outside the stable gate then walk on with my credentials.

Banged down many a steak and cheese at Dimino’s. Tarps for a hot sausage/ lamb tips combo and a pizza worked well too. Good news Bianchi’s is gonna reopen with the old ovens.

elhelmete
01-27-2021, 10:35 PM
Banged down many a steak and cheese at Dimino’s. Tarps for a hot sausage/ lamb tips combo and a pizza worked well too. Good news Bianchi’s is gonna reopen with the old ovens.

The Blue Line Trifecta!

Revere Beach stop: Bianchi's
Suffolk Downs stop: Dimino's
Maverick stop: Santarp's
then Orient Heights stop and walk back to Winthrop By The Sea!
:headbanger::headbanger:

lamboguy
01-28-2021, 09:11 AM
The Blue Line Trifecta!

Revere Beach stop: Bianchi's
Suffolk Downs stop: Dimino's
Maverick stop: Santarp's
then Orient Heights stop and walk back to Winthrop By The Sea!
:headbanger::headbanger:i went to the airport yesterday to pick up a friend that got in @10 a.m. because there was no traffic i was going to be early, so i got off at the first exit and hit Chelsea Street. right in front of me was Santarpio's. to bad the place doesn't open until 11:30 otherwise i would have brought the barbeque lamb home.

Ray Donovon
01-28-2021, 04:00 PM
Next time wheel right around the connah to Meridian Mahket for a Chicken Limone sub . They are dreamy. Also wicked good arancini...

lamboguy
03-09-2021, 01:20 PM
the last time i answered this poll i said Oaklawn because they are anti CAW. but leaving that out i love all of them in their own ways and many of them for the reasons people have stated here.

but for a nice relaxing day, i would say hanging out at the Eddie Logan Room at Santa Anita got to be the top of the heap for me. the place is set up real neat on the clubhouse turn, with half the room inside with a bar tender that pours a great Margarita in the top of the room, while the bottom has lounge chairs where you can catch the sun.

https://www.santaanita.com/race-track/eddie-logan-suite/

elhelmete
03-11-2021, 09:36 PM
the last time i answered this poll i said Oaklawn because they are anti CAW. but leaving that out i love all of them in their own ways and many of them for the reasons people have stated here.

but for a nice relaxing day, i would say hanging out at the Eddie Logan Room at Santa Anita got to be the top of the heap for me. the place is set up real neat on the clubhouse turn, with half the room inside with a bar tender that pours a great Margarita in the top of the room, while the bottom has lounge chairs where you can catch the sun.

https://www.santaanita.com/race-track/eddie-logan-suite/

Are you talking about before or after the renovations to the clubhouse side of SA?

I have to give TSG credit for all of the upgrades, but on the other hand I miss all the weird, squirrely little seating spaces in that part of the Clubhouse. So many little places to spread out with your papers and catch some rays.

classhandicapper
03-12-2021, 11:15 AM
At this point I might vote for my favorite track as any track that will allow me in.

PA.race.fan
04-25-2021, 02:17 PM
I’ve been to Gulfstream, Saratoga, Monmouth, SA, Del Mar, Mtr, Oaklawn, Monmouth, Presque Isle, Finger Lakes, Churchill, Keeneland, and Pimlico. I’ve been around a few, my list includes not only the track, the location for food and fun after the races.

Top 3
Saratoga - bars and restaurants within walking distance

Del Mar - cant beat the surroundings and location, combined with people and sources

Santa Anita- once again, surroundings, horses, and people, and clockers corner

Honorable mention..

Mountaineer - consider the history
Pimlico - consider the history

Parson
04-26-2021, 09:40 PM
I am not sure if anyone else posted ( I did not read the entire thread) but for me, it has to be KY DOWNS. Dont get me wrong, Keeneland is very nice, but sometimes I do not want the coat and tie atmosphere. I just want to put on my boots and jeans, put a flask in my back pocket and go. It makes me feel like I am back at home in the small town where my wife is from and where I went to highschool. GO TIGERS CLASS OF 86 RULES

GaryG
04-30-2021, 11:25 AM
1. Hialeah when the Flamingo was the #1 derby prep
2. Del Mar prior to the 90s renovations when it was dusty and there were more horse players than tourists.
3. R. I. P Arlington

BettinBilly
05-01-2021, 08:23 AM
Definitely Saratoga. For the sheer majesty and memories.

Saying this, however, I could easily vote for a few of the others in the poll. I'm a guy that used to hang out at Beulah Park. Not knocking that retired race course, but it was not exactly race park heaven. So most of the Poll querries look good to me. But Saratoga gets the top pick on my race card.

gamblegamble
05-12-2021, 12:13 AM
Happy Valley in Hong Kong

Does a great job of accommodating serious punters and casuals who enjoy a party atmosphere.

MacTavish
05-14-2021, 09:21 AM
Keeneland. Saw my first race there on closing day, October 1974. Gobsmacked. Saratoga is great too. And if you want a really up-close-and-personal experience, try Kentucky Downs. Some of the best turf horses in the country racing in a field for obscene purses!

PhantomOnTour
05-14-2021, 10:08 AM
My favorite day at the track is today: Black Eyed Susan Day at Pimlico.
Smaller crowd than Preakness Day, racing is top notch, seats are on the rail between the 1/16 pole and the finish line, the whole crew is there (even the ladies), and the betting isn't too serious.
Best day of the year.

On any other day it's Keeneland, hands down.

jimmyb
05-14-2021, 10:14 AM
Rockingham Park on a Friday evening. usually a full house and a younger crowd. Miss the old place.

SandyW
05-14-2021, 10:31 AM
Roosevelt Raceway

Where it all began.

classhandicapper
05-14-2021, 11:41 AM
Roosevelt Raceway

Where it all began.

I loved Roosevelt Raceway. I did quite a few thoroughbred/harness doubleheaders in my youth. :lol:

If it was still open, I'd still be going. I went to Yonkers quite a bit also back in those days, but it doesn't do it for me anymore for a lot of reasons.