PDA

View Full Version : SLEW'S FAST HORSES FOR SAT. 03/23

MeSlew
03-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Hello All! No Fairgrounds or Parx for Saturday but a load of other stuff you can sink your handicapping teeth into.

Aqueduct - 3,5,7,8
Gulfstream - 2,4,5,6,8,10,11
Santa Anita - 2,3,4,6,7,8
Tampa - 8
Oaklawn - 1,8,9

Once again, a Slew of singles (can I even say that?) with Tampa, Fairgrounds and Santa Anita joining the Gulfstream party.

As for tomorrow, we have two Key Horses on Saturday:

Colizeo - Aqu ( 9) CD 11/22/12 # 4
Teaks North - GP (10) GP 12/22/12 # 9

Aqueduct Race 9:

Colizeo (Distorted Humor - Colony Band, by Dixieland Band) gets our attention from a race back in November of last year at Churchill Downs. That race was won by another of Slew's Key Horses, Infrattini
(whose name I still cannot spell) who proceeded to win the Louisiana Handicap in his next start. Colizeo went on to Aqueduct and, on 12/31/2012 according to the track man "folded on the far turn".

My take is a bit different: I think he just fell asleep! Here are my blog notes from that Churchill race in November... "...That race was run on 11/22/2012 as race #4 on the main track at 1 mile as an AlwOC. There were 4 notable splits in that affair with the front running winner Infrattini (Include - Casa Frattini, by Mr. Greeley)
finishing in a slightly geared down fashion in 1:33.31 after clocking 6F in 1:08.83 and running the 7th Furlong in a very nice 11.89 seconds. I certainly hope the owners, Z Thoroughbreds, stuck a winning ticket
into the boot of Mr. Rosario because he paid $14.20 while the favorite Rule and 2nd favorite Hamazing Destiny took most of the money. They finished 4th and last respectively with both seeing nothing but the rump
of the front running winner.

Two notes about this race. First, the next two horses, Majestic Harbor who made a late bid and Colizeo who wilted in the stretch won't likely see fractions like that again for a while.
Second, Infrattini had come out of a race at Keeneland which he won (10/24/2012 Race # 4) and from that race the 3rd place finisher - Wyomia - came back to place in a 150K stake at Woodbine
on 11/24...."
The fractions in that Aqueduct race were slower by an order of magnitude (1:36.64 vs 1:33.31 for the mile). However, in his next start with Jose Ortiz up, he took the bull by the horns and set his own (slow) fractions,
leading all the way to an $8.40 win, beating the heavy favorite Sovereign Default. And while this former Pletcher trainee (now trained by the temporarily deposed Rudy 'I'll be back in time for Vyjack' Rodriguez) doesn't
inspire in the grand tradition, his back class and new digs may serve him well in this field. On paper the speed to his outside looks daunting until you check the fractions. It might very well be the outside post and
Ruler On Ice (Roman Ruler - Champagne Glow, by Saratoga Six) that gets the lead and if so, it will be interesting to see if Cornelio Velasquez can figure this guy out. He has not had much success in the past.
I'll definitely use him underneath. The top spot depends heavily on the odds.

Gulfstream Park Race 10:

In a race filled with late runners, Teaks North (Northern Afleet - Teaksberry Road, by High Honors) looks to make the pace with his next door stall mate, Ioya Bigtime. I expect Prado to let that one go and hang tough
in the slipstream while positioning himself to get the jump on the closers. As for that group, I'll repeat myself yet again: Respect Mr. Mott. Notice not only the underscore but also the capital 'R'.
Newsdad (Arch - Storm Tracer, by Pulpit) is the man here and it won't be headlines if this son of Arch is as ready as his works promise. Mr. Mott doesn't possess a 25% win record for this meet without good reason.
He has prepared his stable for the Florida sunshine and his 8 percentage point increase over his 17% win rate for the year shows that.

Make mine an exacta. Shaken OR stirred.

That's how I see it. However you see it, enjoy the early spring racing, good luck and good 'capping!