PDA

View Full Version : TVG wises up after 13 years and drops ridiculous 25c fee

MightBeSosa
03-22-2013, 12:07 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/77012/tvg-drops-wagering-fee-offers-free-streaming

JimG
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Interesting that not long after Allevato out, this positive change comes. Of course, it would have been more effective had it been done before some of the other ADW's gained a foothold with customers. Thanks for posting.

cj
03-22-2013, 12:25 PM
I did have to laugh yesterday when I heard a few blunders on TVG. First, some guy said tonight we'll have racing from "Charleston", then Greg Wolf said at Aqueduct you get two for the price of one in the 9th on the entry, when half the entry was scratched.

I watch both HRTV and TVG and I don't complain much about either. I think they both have strengths and weaknesses. HRTV shows more races, which is great, but they sure do sure a ton of them on replay. They don't keep you updated on post times near as well as TVG. TVG, on the other hand, seems to show more live races, but not nearly as many races overall.

Anyway, off topic, sorry, but I can't use either one to wager in Oklahoma. They should have cut out the $20 per month fee a long time ago.

Stillriledup
03-22-2013, 12:54 PM
I did have to laugh yesterday when I heard a few blunders on TVG. First, some guy said tonight we'll have racing from "Charleston", then Greg Wolf said at Aqueduct you get two for the price of one in the 9th on the entry, when half the entry was scratched.

I watch both HRTV and TVG and I don't complain much about either. I think they both have strengths and weaknesses. HRTV shows more races, which is great, but they sure do sure a ton of them on replay. They don't keep you updated on post times near as well as TVG. TVG, on the other hand, seems to show more live races, but not nearly as many races overall.

Anyway, off topic, sorry, but I can't use either one to wager in Oklahoma. They should have cut out the $20 per month fee a long time ago.

That entry, the much stronger half was scratched leaving you with a horse who on his own should have been 50-1 or higher...nice job of Greg of putting some people onto a no hoper.
:ThmbUp:

usedtolovetvg
03-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Rumor has it that there are more big changes coming at TVG. Dropping those fees has to have a major impact on the bottom line. TVG had a lot more small players than any other ADW. Maybe dumping Allevato's salary makes up for the fees.

Valuist
03-22-2013, 01:42 PM
How could Allevato kept that job as long as he did? He's also the same guy that wanted to show less racing, and more talking heads. It only took 13 years to figure out he was the problem. :bang:

redshift1
03-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Rumor has it that there are more big changes coming at TVG. Dropping those fees has to have a major impact on the bottom line. TVG had a lot more small players than any other ADW. Maybe dumping Allevato's salary makes up for the fees.

Another rumor post?

upthecreek
03-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Another rumor post?
Anyone notice that Todd T hasnt been on air for 2 weeks-no mention from Pauly Simon etc
No tweets from him since 3/17 He always had a Q&A session on Wednesdays?

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 06:51 AM
Anyone notice that Todd T hasnt been on air for 2 weeks-no mention from Pauly Simon etc

Its been a lot of Gino and the Sundance Kid........2 guys who are younger and much cheaper. Hmmmmm.

castaway01
03-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Even when TVG does something positive, the usual suspects have to show up with their "rumors" and "speculation" garbage and make that the topic of the thread instead.

horses4courses
03-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Always fun to hear talk about entries being "two for the price of one".
BS........you're always paying the price for multiple horses.

Of course, it's even more laughable when a TVG professional
makes a stupid statement like that - with half the entry scratched.

Don't get me started on entries.
How many times have you liked a horse who is part of an entry, but don't want anything to do with the other half?
You are getting at least several points less on your odds (especially in a smaller field) just because of the coupling. Entries are a crock....... :ThmbDown:

Tom
03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
When I first started going to the track, there was nothing as good as seeing a :1a: in the program.....two for one! Man, those were automatic bets back then.

Stillriledup
03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Always fun to hear talk about entries being "two for the price of one".
BS........you're always paying the price for multiple horses.

Of course, it's even more laughable when a TVG professional
makes a stupid statement like that - with half the entry scratched.

Don't get me started on entries.
How many times have you liked a horse who is part of an entry, but don't want anything to do with the other half?
You are getting at least several points less on your odds (especially in a smaller field) just because of the coupling. Entries are a crock....... :ThmbDown:

I always thought it was two for the price of TWO!

;)

Edward DeVere
03-23-2013, 08:27 PM
. HRTV shows more races, which is great, but they sure do sure a ton of them on replay.

Until today, that is, when HRTV decided that guys beating on drums at Santa Anita was infinitely more exciting than full cards from Fair Grounds and Oaklawn.

cj
03-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Until today, that is, when HRTV decided that guys beating on drums at Santa Anita was infinitely more exciting than full cards from Fair Grounds and Oaklawn.

Today was REALLY bad.

upthecreek
03-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Even when TVG does something positive, the usual suspects have to show up with their "rumors" and "speculation" garbage and make that the topic of the thread instead.

Im not one of the usual suspects-my 1st post about TVG and was just curious if anyone had heard anything He was buddy-buddy with Allevato.

Shelby
03-24-2013, 10:30 AM

I noticed. I tweeted him yesterday to ask, but I didn't get an answer.

wisconsin
03-24-2013, 03:50 PM
I noticed. I tweeted him yesterday to ask, but I didn't get an answer.

They still show him on the Derby party contest commercial.

duncan04
03-24-2013, 06:14 PM
They still show him on the Derby party contest commercial.

and he is still listed on their website under hosts

wisconsin
03-24-2013, 10:47 PM
I am pretty sure he does get a vacation, and that is my guess. Been away only since Monday.

upthecreek
03-25-2013, 07:10 AM
I am pretty sure he does get a vacation, and that is my guess. Been away only since Monday.

They dont take "vacations" when they have full racing schedule-all the regulars take off after Delmar when there is no west coast racing
Last on air appearance was Sunday the 17th.

davew
03-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I have actually seen TvG sign-up bonuses, I do not remember these in the past.. possibly they have lost so much grandfathered market share, that they realize they need more cutomers or will slowly go out, as their current clientele gets to the point they can no longer wager.

usedtolovetvg
03-25-2013, 04:14 PM
They've always had some kind of sign up bonus as long as I can remember; usually bet 50 get 50. Mutuels Online is running a decent sign up bonus right now; put in 200 and they add 300 to your account in wagering credits.

PhantomOnTour
03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
They should offer an:

"Oops, we're sorry, how could we have been so dumb - won't you reopen your account with us please" re-sign up bonus to get those who left to come back...all these bonuses are for new customers...maybe some old ones wish to return now that the wagering fee has been dropped.

JimG
03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
While they are letting members have 10 hours free video per month, it looks to me like they are dropping the option for unlimited video (regardless of whether you bet there or not) for $5.95 a month. Hope I am wrong, but looking at my account, that appears to be the case.

davew
03-25-2013, 06:13 PM
They should offer an:

"Oops, we're sorry, how could we have been so dumb - won't you reopen your account with us please" re-sign up bonus to get those who left to come back...all these bonuses are for new customers...maybe some old ones wish to return now that the wagering fee has been dropped.

maybe they need 're-load' bonuses, like the poker rooms and off-shore books

duncan04
03-27-2013, 04:20 PM
They dont take "vacations" when they have full racing schedule-all the regulars take off after Delmar when there is no west coast racing

Well looks like he did go on vacation. :D

Shelby
03-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Well, I hope that's right.

I like Todd. I realize I'm in the minority around here, though.

HARVICK_29
03-27-2013, 09:33 PM

HE WAS THERE TODAY FROM 1 TO 5 PST

wisconsin
03-27-2013, 10:37 PM

Gotta love an expert.

PaceAdvantage
03-28-2013, 02:26 AM
We used to call them ex-spurts...don't know why... :lol:

cj
03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
For all the TVG bashing, I'm not finding HRTV any better. Today, for example, they were doing some interview with Ken McPeek and showed us Laurel on tape delay. There was no other racing going on at the time.

Tom
03-28-2013, 01:22 PM
The problem is, these people think THEY are the show.
They are not.

The snappy tunes and no hosts on Monday/Tuesday DWARF all the talking heads.

The last thing is need is some Matt Laurer wannbe who can't cut it as a bettor telling me anything. Play tunes, show races, shut up. Just becuase we have small fields is no excuse for more horse's asses in the booth.

Stillriledup
03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
The problem is, these people think THEY are the show.
They are not.

The snappy tunes and no hosts on Monday/Tuesday DWARF all the talking heads.

The last thing is need is some Matt Laurer wannbe who can't cut it as a bettor telling me anything. Play tunes, show races, shut up. Just becuase we have small fields is no excuse for more horse's asses in the booth.

Wow! :ThmbUp: