PDA

View Full Version : Churchill Downs Inc.-- Another unenlightend racing organzation?

trying2win
02-11-2004, 06:40 PM
--Churchill Downs Inc. net revenue is down for the fiscal year 2003, according to the article at this link:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=42142&subsec=1

--The Churchill Downs executive lists the usual excuses, instead of the real reasons why they didn't have increased net revenues in 2003. Then he goes on with some drivel in the 2nd last paragraph of the article, about how they're going to make improvements in 2004 by doing certain things.

How come a lot of these so-called enlightened executives don't seem to get it? I don't think that a lot of racing fans are interested in what that Churchill Downs executive had to say, when he used grandiose phrases like "customer-driven organization", "innovative growth platform", or "Customer Relationship Management effort". I think horse racing fans want action on consistently fuller fields to bet on, lower track takeouts, lower-priced and/or free parking and admission, lower concession prices, free live video, more access to online betting alternatives etc.

T2W

kenwoodallpromos
02-12-2004, 01:15 AM
I get it! The Pres. blames other parts of the USA, the buildings, the systems, and other people! He's the only thing that is NOT to blame! Stockholders can vote to double HIS salary!! Meanwhile, the way HIS track surface was set derby week 5 horses died! / How do they get fuller fields when they set the track speed so fast 5 horses die in 4 days? (Early speed paid $10.00 to $15.00 all that week!)

Valuist
02-12-2004, 03:23 PM
For all the complaining the public does about Magna, I'm shocked Churchill Downs Inc doesn't get more bad publicity. $6 admissions???? 30 minutes between races??? These were some of the wonderful "innovations" CDI came up with at the past Arlington meeting. CDI has driven Hollywood into the ground and is sending Arlington on its way. Maybe ElP or Crc will be next.

mikekk
02-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Valuist
For all the complaining the public does about Magna, I'm shocked Churchill Downs Inc doesn't get more bad publicity. $6 admissions???? 30 minutes between races??? These were some of the wonderful "innovations" CDI came up with at the past Arlington meeting. CDI has driven Hollywood into the ground and is sending Arlington on its way. Maybe ElP or Crc will be next.

Hear Hear! While far from being a fan of MEC (I haven't made a bet at one of their tracks since the announcement), it does take 2 to fight. Both organisations think of us as cannonfodder in their dreams of glory. May God have mercy on their souls.

Mikekk

DealMe3
02-13-2004, 07:19 PM
I agree. The changes CDI made at Arlington Park pissed a lot of people off. Some went to another OTB about 20 miles from Arlington. Supposedly this OTB has free admission, complimentary soft drinks, and a buffet at a resonable price. While other bettors decided to wager online while watching the races on cable at home. As for myself, I'm seriously considering wagering online, but just not sure who to go witth? There's just no way I can go back to Arlington Park and wait in line to get into the park, and wait in another line to get a seat in the simulcast center. BTW, the voters in Arlington Heights are having a referendum that will decide if smoking will be allowed in a indoor public places. What's horse racing without the sweet aroma of a five dollar cigar? :cool:

trying2win
02-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by DealMe3
[ What's horse racing without the sweet aroma of a five dollar cigar? :cool: [/B]

DealMe3

A lot more refreshing and healthy air to breathe, in my opinion!

The management at our local track at Northlands Park, recently went from giving smokers the majority of space, to a small little corner of the upper floor in the grandstand. Bless Northlands Park management for taking that initiative. I believe next year, all public places here in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada will go smoke-free thanks to a bylaw passed by a courageous majority of our City Council. The smokers at Northlands Park will then have to go outside. Bless our City Councillors as well. There will be more clean air to breathe indoors next year at Northlands Park!

T2W

gillenr
02-13-2004, 10:54 PM
They wish there was a line to get in! When was this? Million Day?

trying2win
02-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Give me the thoroughbred races to bet at Hawthorne Racecourse any day, over Arlington Park!

T2W

DealMe3
02-13-2004, 11:39 PM
It's usually on Saturday's, when the tour buses drop people from Rockford and other parts of Illinois, that the park had a small crowd waiting to get in. I've often hear these people ask each other what to do for 3 hours before the race. In the meantime, I'm standing outside wondering how long it'll take for me to get in and get upstairs to the simulcast center.

The powers-to-be decided to open the outer doors 15 minutes before 11 am, have everyone rush and cut in front of each other to get to one of the windows, and then keep up waiting before letting us in. I couldn't stand that stupid bells that rang when it was time to get into the park. And, of course, there was always someone in front of me that had to ask the ticket agent several hundred questions before moving on.

After getting past the main gate, I would make my way upstairs and wait in another line to get my ticket for the t.v. carrell. It's the same window that sells seats for the upper grandstand.

It's people like us that pays the bills for the park. I just think that Arlington needs a reminder. :)